What questions do you have about your CI kit or CI journey?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

We are a friendly group and are always happy to share our experiences.  Do you have any questions?

I do have a question. I got my left year implanted July, 2020. I have done well with it. Had left implanted 2 weeks ago, surgery went well. I am struggling with the fact that I can’t hear as well as I thought I would with one implant only. Did anyone else feel this way? A one on one conversation is ok, but anything else is a struggle, especially TV. July 15 can’t come soon enough.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Linda

congratulations on your second CI! I absolutely LOVE listening with bilateral CIs!

I forget which processor you use?

Your experience of missing your second ear while waiting for activation is quite common.  Hang in there.  You are not alone.

I had stopped wearing the hearing aid on my second ear prior to having it implanted because it was a distraction at that point, so I did not miss it while awaiting activation.

I am excited to follow your bilateral journey after your July 15th activation!  Wishing you the very best!

Mary Beth, thank you. I now have Sonnet 2 and Rondo2. I like them both, but Rondo beats for convenience. I will be getting 2 Rondo 3’s at activation. I also chose the Artone neckloop as an accessory upon seeing your reviews. Another question if you don’t mind….if I was to get a Bluetooth TV, would the processors connect without the neckloop or AudioLink? Thanks again, Linda

• HearPeers Heroes

@Linda

exciting!!!

Ask as many questions as you wish.  Absolutely no limit.

Rondo 3 does not have a built in direct BT feature.  So we always need to use an intermediary device.

Since you chose Artone (my most used device) you can purchase the Artone TVB and connect that to any TV.  You pair it to your Artone neckloop and use the telecoil adapter attached to your Rondo 3. (No need for a BT TV).

Here is my review of the Artone TVB

http://handsonhearing.com/resources/ArtoneTVBReview.pdf

I do have a question(s).  @Mary Bethand a couple others already know I’m recently implanted Bimodal user and a musician. 

The first big question:  Why can the devices connect directly to the MFI devices via BTLE, yet one needs another item to get actual streaming to function?  I know AB & Phonak has full on BT (something I wish all brands would adopt already), but also Cochlear/Resound can stream directly from devices without that bridge.  My Oticon HA can as well but the Egg, while connected lacks the ability to stream.  And I’ve read the Sonnet 2s are the same way. (Will get mine on the 1st finally).  Why does MedEl not have this function, or maybe it’s some software side thing they’re waiting to activate?    

Question two, since my ability to stream to the egg is limited, I’m finding the artone neck loop a bit limiting in that it only holds a charge for 2-3 hours max.  Is there some other better option I could have or look into with much longer ability to stream to my Oticon HA and Egg?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

The way I understand it is that Med-El processors do not yet have the BTLE receiver built in that allows streaming directly.  There is a BT receiver built into the Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 which allows using the app directly as a remote.  If the BTLE receiver built into the bottom of the AudioStream was included inside the processors, we would not need anything extra.  People are anticipating that will happen with the next processors but Med-El has not disclosed any info on future processors.

I wonder why your Artone battery life is so short?  It charges with a micro USB correct and not a pin charger (previous version)?  My Artone neckloops stream for about 6 hours per charge.  I have 2 so one is always charging and ready to switch if needed.

Streaming to both your Sonnet 2/Sonnet1 and your Oticon HA……

- Artone neckloop

-around the ear BT headphones (BOSE QC35) as long as you don’t experience feedback from your HA

-Roger transmitter/receiver(s)

-some people like the BOSE sound companion shoulder speakers

-flat headband stereo speakers (CozyPhones)- this is a wired option

-music links silhouettes 

Yeah.  The Artone charge is something I’ll probably go and try a full reset and see if that helps.  Still can do troubleshooting on it so I’ll probably be working on the the next couple days then contact their support.  I do have the random one that I received with the TVB that’s connected for the phone so I should try that out with the tv setup and see if there’s a difference.

Thanks for the other suggestions!  Will research all of them today:)  

When I received my CI kit I got 3 microphone covers and the info said they should be replaced every 3 months. I was activated in June 2020 so when I had used the 3 I ordered more from Med-el in early 2021. I had such a delay due to my insurance  that i ended up paying for 5 replacement covers. Now I am notified that the original 4 which I ordered are being sent. Is this common when ordering replacement parts?  If it had been a vital part of my processor I would have without hearing for many weeks.  At least now I am set for a while! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MaryD1944

Sometimes it takes awhile for insurance.  We can always follow up with our CSR.

I order before I am on my last set of covers so I always have a spare or two.