ASM 3 features are FDA approved in the US!! Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Now we wait for Med-El US to tell us a release date!!

Excellent!  Finally!  Road trip to Froedtert in Milwaukee is in my future for a Sonnet 2 with AMS 3. Thank you for updating about this, Mary Beth!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Karen T

terrific 

We do not know when Med-El US will release ASM 3 yet.  Watch their FB page

Hmm I doubt Stanford will have it by the time I be go in for programming on the 7th. May need to schedule a quick follow up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Karen T

terrific 

We do not know when Med-El US will release ASM 3 yet.  Watch their FB page

Since I don’t do Facebook, I can’t see their page. Is there someplace else that a person could watch for this, or has it already happened?

56 minutes ago, Eric in Tulsa said:

Since I don’t do Facebook, I can’t see their page. Is there someplace else that a person could watch for this, or has it already happened?

I think I read here someplace that they’re currently training their Audiologists on it, then regular Audis then public will get it so not expected until Fall/later this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think we using asm, just not sure if its 3, but ima sposed to get it lol, cant wait. Im not in a med el research program, so i just get the one processor and its sonnet 2 eas. Maybe next year can try the rondo 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

ASM (which some of us now call ASM 1):  OPUS2 (BTE processor before Sonnet 1), Rondo 1 and Rondo 2

ASM 2: Sonnet 1, AND in the US at the moment both Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 are still using ASM2.  (Natural and adaptive mic settings, wind block)

ASM 3:  Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 have internal computer chips that can run ASM 3.  It was FDA approved in late June.  Med-El US has not yet announced when it will be released.  It gets activated on our Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 by our audiologists at a MAPping appointment.  (Adaptive intelligence mild and strong, ambient noise reduction, transient noise reduction)

In the US some CI centers are 2 processor centers.  They give us 2 processors per surgery so we have a back up.  This is not related to any research or promotion through Med-El and applies to all CI brands at 2 processor centers.  Other CI centers are 1 processor centers.  They give us 1 processor per surgery.  From time to time Med-El US has special promotions.  Lately the promotions involve swapping a processor received with surgery for the soon to be released newer processor.  I am not aware of any Med-El US promotions at the moment.

Getting upgraded processors has always been one processor per side and is done through our insurance- not our CI center.  Some insurances are easier to get approval from than others.  5 years seems to be the key time frame. 

Hi mb thank you. This was a response from my med el rep. So i get 1. My insurace changes next month from a marketplace insurance probably biden-care) to my actual medicare starts on my 65th bday in sept. So we rushed to get approval and surgery before expire date. Im hoping some stuff gets "reset". The other thing is i joined a research at the u of i (camille) so i will be going more often to visit the team and take tests. The research is more on the effects of ci on aging, not specific to brand. Fascinating research, and they are about to get the grant extended. Im so happy to be helping future studies. Im happy with sonnet2 as it is cuz it sounds so advanced.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

ASM 3 (adaptive intelligence features and transient noise reduction plus ambient noise reduction) has not been released yet in the US as far as I know.  It has been FDA approved so we are just waiting for release.  Your audiologist may know more information.  In the meantime, Sonnet2/Sonnet2 EAS are using ASM 2 and can move to ASM 3 by our audiologists after it is released.

Cool thanks, i saw some discussion on fb group. Some have settings advice, that appeared differtent, no biggie, just reading along lol

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

Terrific!  When will you get your processor MAPped with ASM 3?

My next appt isn’t until Oct 8th.  Could probably go in sooner but apparently an infection has begun under my scalp around the implant so will have to wait.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Oh no!  I am so sorry to hear that.  Hopefully they can clear up your infection soon.  

12 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

Oh no!  I am so sorry to hear that.  Hopefully they can clear up your infection soon.  

Thanks.  On hardcore antibiotics for the next week so it should help.  Implant site felt like it was radiating heat and causing weird headaches nonstop.  Surgeon was in resident interviews so sent me to ER and doc there said it appears to be a soft tissue infection.  How is any ones guess!

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I hope the strong antibiotics resolve the infection completely.  Keep us posted.  Wishing you the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have ASM 3.0 after the infection setback.  Seems to handle various sounds much more fluid and easier.  First one with it at MEEI so took a bit to get it installed.  Only one program with it, other program solely for music.  Will need to have a proper mapping session in a couple weeks cause there’s some speech comprehension issues.

• 2 months later...

I was updated to ASM 3.0 in September (if remembering correctly, its been a whirlwind) and at my recent appointment asked about features for me to start using. My audiologist sent the following for me:

• Program 1 is your preferred setting that has natural directionality taking into consideration the way our ears naturally block some sound
  • Program 2 is fixed noise reduction with the settings in Program 1
  • Program 3 is the one we are experimenting with to see if it offers more high frequency information for you…it also is in natural directionality
  • Program 4 is fixed noise reduction with the settings in Program 3

If you're like me and quickly forget which program is which, the AudioKey2 app allows you to rename programs. After I knew to refresh my Sonnet 2 to add the program selection back in, I did just that. Had to get creative as you're limited to 10 characters, but my programs are now abbreviated instead of being the forgettable 1, 2, 3, 4 toggles.

My audiologist's reasoning for choosing these is that I'm still early in and she wants me to soak in as much "naturally" as possible. She didn't feel I was ready to start forcing a listening setting just yet but still wanted to give me some options for some situations I would/might need additional focus in. Also for reference, I was on ASM 2.0 for not quite 3 months - that is how early into this I am. Program 1 was carried over from ASM 2.0 to 3.0 and until now was the only program I've had; we've just been building on it from Day 1.

• HearPeers Heroes

The new features in ASM 3 are called…

adaptive intelligence mild

adaptive intelligence strong

ambient noise reduction 

transient noise reduction

ASM 3 builds on to features that were added in ASM 2.  Those ASM 2 features are called…

natural mic setting 

adaptive always mic setting

adaptive at a trigger dB mic setting 

wind block strong or mild

Sometimes audiologists refer to these Med-El terms in their own ways but I find that gets confusing when discussing MAPs with other Med-El users.

It will be interesting to find out which features you prefer.

Thank you for that detailed breakdown - extremely helpful as always! My audiologist does have her own terms for things.