Activated June 25

Lauren

I've been using one processor as much as possible since being activated on Friday (10+ hours). The day had some positives and not so positives so I'll sum up below and hopefully there'll be some tips/suggestions for me..

1. The surprise - My implant was placed low, very low; so low that the Rondo 3 sits just barely above my left ear and right above where my glasses sit. I still have post-operative pain so went with the Rondo first because of that but when the swelling goes down there's a very real possibility that the Sonnet 2 will not work for me due to the limited real estate. My first thought (because I really wanted the Sonnet 2) was request the Activity Clip from Med-El and just wear it that way so that I can at least use it... If it still doesn't work then I may end up with two Rondo 3s.

2. Activation - My audi didn't want to do too much too soon so basically just turned on the processor and made sure I was understanding speech. Because I'd done prior research we didn't spend too much time on the equipment other than making sure everything was accounted for (but we didn't request the activity clip so that was the only thing not included.. whoops). Because of that we were able to do some testing and my audi was very happy. Ran through some words and sounds (couldn't tell the difference between "s" and 'sh", and "m" turned out to be hard for me) but was getting more than I was missing when the audi was using the cards.

Had a harder time when the testing moved to more open lists so my audi had to semi-close it again and said everything she would say next would be a vegetable. I was still struggling so audi narrowed it to 5-6 veggies for me. Cucumber wasn't on the list she'd given but I was focusing too hard to notice that and just said cucumber because that's what I'd heard and that's what my task was. Audi had to stop and ask me if 'cucumber' had been on the list. I said "umm.. no?" And she admitted she'd tried to trick me but I got it without realizing.

So all-in-all wasn't perfect but my audi assured me that since it had only been 1.5 hours into activation that was fantastic.

3. Rehab after - same day I drove out to see family/friends and had one conversation in a not-busy coffee shop with a friend, taking out my right hearing aid so I was relying on just my new processor with lipreading as a back-up (but I looked away/closed my eyes a few times to test that). I did pretty well. My friend helped me realize that I don't have volume or pitches/ranges/tones etc, there's just speech that I can and cannot hear. 

For pitches, I had my friend speak at higher/lower registers until I lost the sound, but noticed that the voice I heard never changed. For volume it seems to not matter if someone is whispering, at a normal volume, or practically shouting at me - it all sounds the same. I also don't have any tones/accents or anything to differentiate people's voices. My audi, mother, friends/family, and total strangers all sounded the same.

4. Music - I primarily listen to music when driving. Luckily Alaska is a big state so just two round trips from Anchorage to the Valley (where all family/friends live) over the weekend got me 4+ hours of listening time. At first it was just a garbled mess but now I'm able to hear percussion/beats (drums) and bass. Lyrics are gravelly, robotic, and tone-deaf but I was at least picking them out.

______

Since then, rehab has been primarily digital via apps/programs (iAngel Sounds, Angel Sounds for PC, etc) and I'll admit it hasn't been going too well. I definitely do better when the speech/sounds are face-to-face. In person I'm at least 80%+ (no lip reading) and via digital I'm lucky if I can get above a 10% success rating.

First mapping is this Thursday, July 1 and I will be mentioning all of the above to the audiologist. Is there anything else I can do to help the audi help me get the processor closer to natural sound at mappings and further improve my listening? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

You are off to a terrific start!

I recommend using the free app Word Success.  (It used to be called CLIX).  By far my favorite app at the beginning of my CI journey.

I am sorry about the low placement of your internal component.  Having the coil and a BTE processor touch each other causes clicking sounds that are annoying.  Are you a headband kind of person?  If so Etsy has lots of options for securing BTE processors in headbands.

@Mary BethI'm not a headgear type of person 🙁. I'm hoping the activity clip may work. Not sure if the processor sitting on shirts will bother me...

Just checked and Word Success was one of the apps I downloaded in advanced (just downloaded, didn't make accounts). Trying to set up an account but got stuck in a endless circle of account registration - account exists for this email - reset password - no account exists for this email - rinse/repeat. Emailed support so hopefully they'll get me set up. I had also downloaded Hearoes, Speech ID 2, and Med-El ReDi.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Use a different email address and register again for wordsuccess.  It is worth it in my opinion.

@Mary Beth Thank you - got up and running with PC and Mobile. I'm still getting way too many beeps and something else (almost want to say shocking my muscles each time there's noise; no pain but the muscles are all definitely twitching/reacting with each sound) so practicing is very difficult. I'll have to hold off until the first mapping appointment and hopefully get all that fixed. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

facial stimulation (twitching) is a sign that the MAP needs to change so it is not over stimulating.  If you are able to contact your audiologist tomorrow, she may want you to reduce your volume.  I hope it gets sorted out fast for you.

Just back from my first mapping. Overall it went well. Got the magnet swapped out for a 4 and the Rondo is more comfy. Mentioned everything being muffled, excessive beeping, and the over-stimulation. Its now more comfy, not as muffled, the beeping has taken a backseat, and I'm not getting over-stimulated. 

My audi also asked that I come back in early at 2 weeks out and also keep the two 3 week out appointments. So didn't do too much but my audi is still happy with my progress, my notes/observations, and how things are shaping up.

My ear is still too swollen to fit the Sonnet 2 to know for sure if it'll work, but any day now.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad your appt went well and that things are more comfortable now for you @Lauren.