Sound difference between Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3

Shiyi Wang

Dear all,

My 21-month old son was implanted bilaterally when he was 15-month old. We have two processors. One is Sonnet 2 and the other one is Rondo 3. Recently, he starts to refuse to wear his Sonnet 2 and insists to wear Rondo 3. This makes me wonder if he perceives sound differently when wearing Sonnet 2 vs Rondo 3. 

Since my son is still young to share his experience with me, I asked his audiologist and his early intervention teacher if Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 may sound different but they do not have the impression that Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 can sound different. Does anyone mind sharing their insights on their experience with Sonnet 2 vs Rondo 3? Thank you!

Best regards,

Shiyi

• HearPeers Heroes

@Shiyi Wang

Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 both use similar sound management so should sound similar.

Is it possible that your son finds the Rondo 3 more comfortable to wear?

I hope his Sonnet 2 is working properly.

Thank you, Mary! It is possible that my son finds the Rondo 3 more comfortable to wear.

We just had a CI mapping session last week and they confirmed that his Sonnet 2 is working properly. 

But somehow he keeps taking off his Sonnet 2 or refuses to have Sonnet 2 on when we try. He also seems to be more vocal while wearing Rondo3. I may bring this up again to his audiologist and ask them to double check Sonnet 2 again. 

Like @Mary Beth said, probably just more comfortable.  I have both as well and have noticed no differences between the two.  The Rondo 3 is definitely less cumbersome to wear OTE than the BTE. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@Shiyi Wang

You may also want to ask your audiologist to turn off the auto off function of the Sonnet 2 DL-coil.  This way if it disconnects from the internal it will not power off.

The difference in vocalizing between Sonnet2 and Rondo 3 makes me think he hears better with Rondo 3.  So exploring that more with his audiologist is a great idea.