pain at implant site

Catherine Wolicki-Hunt

Does anyone else get pain at the cochlear implant site? I’ve had my implant 6 months now. I occasionally get stabbing, intermittent pain at the site. It lasts a few days. Paracetamol helps. There doesn’t appear to be any redness or swelling. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Catherine Wolicki-Hunt

Welcome to HearPeers!

Which processor are you using?

Pain at the implant site can be serious.  If it was happening to me, I would contact my CI audiologist and CI surgeon.

I hope it feels better soon.

Thanks Beth. Already had magnet adjusted to weaker strength. Also had two lots of antibiotics. I have an appointment with my CI surgeon on 12th august-I’ll try and bring it forward- they’ve got a scanner at the rooms so that seems like the best option. Thanks for advice. 

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

asking for our friend @Nikki.  She is having pain at the implant site on one side. She has had it looked at by Audi with no reason found. Does anyone have any advice? 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new upgraded advanced bionics on Tuesday now am in pain with it. It's fine first thing in the morning when I switched on but come in the afternoon am I pain with it it feels like stabbing & my side of my head is burning(but to touch it it isnt). Thought cause maybe it's new & is trying to adjust the new set & seeing it's only just 4 days since i'd got it but the pain is becoming unbearable that I had to take painkillers. Only got the implant done in 2007

• HearPeers Heroes

@Alaine Mitchell

Hello.  This forum is hosted by Med-El so almost all of us use Med-El CIs.

Your magnet may be too strong, which can become a big problem for any CI user.  I recommend you contact your CI audiologist right away.  If it was me, I would return to using my back up processor while waiting to hear back from my audiologist (if that is an option for you).

I hope this gets sorted out quickly.

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Alaine Mitchell

Hello.  This forum is hosted by Med-El so almost all of us use Med-El CIs.

Your magnet may be too strong, which can become a big problem for any CI user.  I recommend you contact your CI audiologist right away.  If it was me, I would return to using my back up processor while waiting to hear back from my audiologist (if that is an option for you).

I hope this gets sorted out quickly.

Thanks I don't have a back up processor plus the hospital is quite a distance away but I will get one of my family to phone for me on Monday. Had to take it off today while shopping as the pain was so bad but am so was lost without it! I later put tissue paper between the processor & the implant and it was so much better so it must be the magnet being too strong. Thanks for the advice.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem, and will ask at my appt tomorrow to turn magnet strength down. Is this a common problem?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Carol D

too strong of a magnet can cause discomfort and other problems with our skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, I had the magnet replaced to the next weaker #2, and all is fine now! 

• 2 months later...

I have this issue as well.  Bit has anyone experienced itchiness too?  I have the vibrant sound bridge.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lucy

Itchiness and discomfort can both be related to magnet strength.  Maybe ask your audiologist?  I hope it resolves soon.

Thanks Mary Beth

I thought of that but questioned myself "after three years"?  Do the magnets wear out?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lucy

I have never heard of the magnets wearing out.  But it is not unusual that people may need to have their magnet strength adjusted over time- usually to a weaker magnet.

9 hours ago, Lucy said:

I thought of that but questioned myself "after three years"?  Do the magnets wear out?

The magnets don't really change their properties under normal circumstances, but the skin between your implant and the external magnet can get thinned out over time due to the constant pressure. It is fairly common and if just going down a magnet size resolves the issue, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lucy

Wishing you the best.  Let us know how your appt goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else experience a nasty burning sensation from the body of the implant when the weather gets hot or the sun is shining on it? It keeps happening to me lately, even if I don't have processors on. My hair is rather thick, so it should be protecting the area... the rest of my head is fine, the burning is localized only where the implants are. I haven't heard anything useful from my hospital when I asked them about it...

Hi Enegra 

Many have suggested a weaker magnet when I mentioned this.  I am presently awaiting a new, weaker magnet from my audiologist.  I will let you know if this helps.

In the meantime, I hope it you can find some relief.

Lucy

It's not a magnet issue for me. I am on the lowest one, can't add padding to the coil, because it doesn't hold anymore.

The issue occurs even if I haven't worn the processor for a few days.

When it is caused by the sun, usually going in the shade makes the pain recede.

During a heatwave unfortunately the only way of getting relief was pouring cold water over my head.

I am pretty sure this isn't normal, but my hospital claims they have never heard of this happening and refused to comment on it. My local rep also doesn't seem familiar with such case.

Oh dear!  I wish I had an answer!  I would keep pursuing doctors, audiologists etc for an answer for sure.  Don't give up! Please keep us posted.  Someone will have a resolution for you!  Good luck!