Hello from Yonkers NY

Joe Willsen

Hello All.....I am still recovering from a Tympanoplasty and Bonebridge implant surgery. Not sure what to expect. My single sided deafness was the result of chronic middle ear infections as a kid and my history of surgeries started in 1975. 60 years old now and I must admit, I am pretty nervous about this whole thing.

• Like 1

How long ago was the surgery? When do they activate you? Congratulations, it's a journey for sure and I wish you all the luck, I am SSD as well as of about 5 years ago, surgery/activated about 7 months ago and it's def. the best thing that has happened to me -- 

1 hour ago, Jared Charney said:

How long ago was the surgery? When do they activate you? Congratulations, it's a journey for sure and I wish you all the luck, I am SSD as well as of about 5 years ago, surgery/activated about 7 months ago and it's def. the best thing that has happened to me -- 

Hi Jared....thank you for your reply. My surgery was 8 days ago and they repaired a CSF leak in addition to tympanoplasty and my Bonebridge implant so it was pretty complicated. I do not see my surgeon again until 8/17 so I don't know activation date or what I am supposed to do with my device, if anything, before then. I am very glad to hear that your experience has been so positive. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joe Willsen

Follow this link.  Select your state and register for a 1:1 video meeting with captions with your US regional Med-El rep (called CEM: Consumer Engagement Manager).  It’s free and your CEM will be able to answer all of your BoneBridge questions.  You may ask to be connected with a Med-El BoneBridge mentor as well.

https://web.cvent.com/event/bf4df0f5-e7e8-4282-9a9f-a09de31f4fc2/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I had my "fitting" a few days ago. Met with a very nice audiologist. It seems I am only her 2nd BoneBridge Samba 2 client. She changed the magnet for me (at my request) and sent me some tones which I responded to, installed an "Outdoor Sport" program on my app in addition to the Universal mode. She was great but after wearing my device for a while I have a few questions.

I don't think I am really hearing any better now than before being implanted. I had about 70% conductive hearing loss on one side and after having my mastoid cavity and external canal closed off and being implanted, I am not blown away. Is it standard procedure to start off with low volume and increase it over time?

Also......I see there are several other programs/modes available for the Samba2.....why not install them all on my app and let me experiment?

After all...I went through a lot to get here.

Thanks for your replies.

Joe

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joe Willsen

Good questions.  Have you scheduled a one on one zoom captioned video meeting with your Med-El regional rep yet?  The rep will have a lot of information about BoneBridge and Samba.

You can schedule the meeting at this link…

https://web.cvent.com/event/91993dee-4bed-4851-bd9b-dcd811bd82e8/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joe Willsen

I met a Med-El US employee who is a BoneBridge user himself at an online workshop.  He shared his hearing journey with us.  His name is Kevin Vukovich.  If you want to connect with him, your Med-El regional rep may be able to set that up.  Speaking with people who actually have the implants we have is very helpful.  Wishing you the best.