Background Music gone

John F

Hello

For the last few weeks I’ve become more and more aware that while speech is fine mostly, I’m not hearing any music from tv shows or movies in the background.  I’ve tried this for oodles of viewings such as but not limited to:

- LOTR movies (all three)

- Carnival Row

- Brothers & Sisters

- Hilary & Jackie

- Ferris Bueller

etc…  

I’ve tried various setups such as:

- With/Without Artone

- With / Without AudioStream 

- Change between program 1 & 2 (2 is supposedly aimed towards music)

There’s simply nothing in the background and is getting quite irritating.  If I listen to just music, it mostly poorly comes through but otherwise nothing when watching movies or shows.  Anybody experienced this?  Is it really just some warped brain adjustment deal one person in another group half suggested or is there something up with the programs on my CI devices?  Audi already said I should be hearing the music moreso than speech normally which tbh I’m unsure exactly how to interpret that and doesn’t exactly help rectify this dealio.

Is there something in the software that could be dampening through background music?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

You are using Sonnet 2 correct? In the US with ASM 2 features active?

Do you know if you have a program set up with omni mic setting?  Omni uses one mic and provides access to sounds from all around us.

Is your TV using its built in speaker or a sound bar or surround speakers?

The short answer to your question….  about anything in the software that can be dampening music…  is yes.  Features that focus on speech in noise have a negative impact on music for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

And @John F I found it helpful to dedicate time to helping my brain learn to listen to music with my CI.

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

You are using Sonnet 2 correct? In the US with ASM 2 features active?

Do you know if you have a program set up with omni mic setting?  Omni uses one mic and provides access to sounds from all around us.

Is your TV using its built in speaker or a sound bar or surround speakers?

The short answer to your question….  about anything in the software that can be dampening music…  is yes.  Features that focus on speech in noise have a negative impact on music for me.

Sonnet 2 & Rondo 3.  US only has ASM 2.0 so I’d imagine yes to that part. 

Im unsure what exactly is setup in the programs, just what I’m told.

TV is built in speakers, but doesn’t matter since neither that or streaming directly with the Artone loop helps.

I’ll ask what speech features are present in a bit in person.

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

And @John F I found it helpful to dedicate time to helping my brain learn to listen to music with my CI.

Of course I do that especially since I am a musician.  I’ve also chatted with Johanna about various issues with music.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I forgot you are a musician.  I am glad you are in touch with Johanna.

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

I forgot you are a musician.  I am glad you are in touch with Johanna.

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

Had an appointment, mainly for the HA but had her check the CI programs.  She stripped the music program of pretty much any and all features that were activated.  Main culprit seemed to be the wind noise reduction but she did something with the mic setting as well.  At about 60% comprehensible music which vs before is like, 200% better.  Notes actually differentiated.  Will take a little more time to get to 100% but will get there…one day.