New study on ASM 3 features in a one piece processor (Rondo 3)

Mary Beth

Hi, newbie here, if i end up having to choose between rondo3 and sonnet2 eas, mary do you have both and what do you reccomend? I was not sure rondo3 would provide the hybrid experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

The electric acoustic (hybrid) experience is only available in behind the ear processors like Sonnet 2 EAS.  So this will make your processor selection easier.  Smile

Omg thankyou for that. Lol yeah its like christmas is coming and i have more than 1 choice! Five days to go for the choosing part and im feeling overwhelmed!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

It is an overwhelming amount of information at first.  Hang in there.  And feel free to ask questions here.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, Mary Beth said:

Very good info.  Is there any word yet where MedEl is in getting this out to users yet?  Last I read, they were training their Audiologists but nothing since.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I have not heard anything at all about the release of ASM 3 in the US.  It was FDA approved late June.  It’s the first time that I can recall that Med-El US has not made an announcement about FDA approval and expected availability of a much anticipated feature/accessory/processor.  Usually Med-El US announces soon after FDA approval.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Yashvi

It is my understanding that Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 have the same options for mic settings to hear better in noise.   Your audiologist will know more.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mary Beth

Thank you for sharing the article. I'm a new CI / Rondo 3 user for two weeks now. So far my new hearing journey has been good. When I asked about different program settings once I reach a stable map, my audiologist told me that Rondo 3 automatically adapts to the environment and adjusts the sound. So I guess that's ASM 3.0. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Flywithme

Rondo 3 in the US may be using ASM 2 as reports here of ASM 3 being available just started last week.  

ASM stands for automatic sound management which does adapt to sounds automatically.

However there are still program options- even in ASM 3.

I plan on getting 3 kinds of programs with ASM 3….

1) omni- which I find best for music 

2) adaptive intelligence mild

3) adaptive intelligence strong

All 3 of the above treat sounds differently.

I am glad your CI journey is beginning so well!

I asked my audiologist at my quick appointment today. They got the information last week for updating their systems and completed that yesterday! They plan on updating both my processors tomorrow. Interesting to see how it improves things for me as I'm still in search of a better MAP.

@Mary Beth Thanks for your message. 

I'm still in the early stage of my new hearing journey. The 3 programs you mentioned look good. I will ask my audiologist on my 3rd mapping on Sept 29th for the programs with ASM 3.0.  I believe ASM 3.0 is already available in Canada as it is showing in Med-El Canada's website. 

I will keep you posted. 

I hope you get your new programs with ASM 3.0 soon. 

Take Care. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Mary Beth 

I hope you are all doing well. 

Today I went for my 3rd mapping appointment. I asked my audiologist about ASM 3.0 and it turned out that it has been available in Canada with all the Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2. Thank you for sharing the article with us. I've learned so much from it. 

After some speech assessment, I asked my audiologist to create 3 programs for me and he added a 4th program with louder volume (just in case): 

1. Adaptive Intelligence, mild

2. Adaptive Intelligence, strong

3. Omni mode 

4. Adaptive Intelligence, mild with louder volume. 

The reason that I asked for an AI Strong program is due to the nature of my job. I manage a big flagship retail store with lots of noise and people talking in the background. At first my audiologist didn't think that I would benefit from the AI Strong program because it might cut out some spoken words due to its strong noise reduction feature. But he's very curious to see how it would work out for me. I'll let him know on my next appointment in 2 months. 

So far, my audiologist said I'm doing quite well in the new hearing journey. I can finally hear & partially understand people with masks on (well, not 100%) and not too reliant on my transcriber app. I'm excited to try out the new programs from today. I'll keep you posted. 

Take care.

Charlie