Switching to Rondo3

Morgan

Hi all!

I currently have bilateral cochlear implants and use the Sonnet. Unfortunately my right side processor has become infected and I have to get urgent surgery. Dr Crawford said that he is just going to move the magnet up so it is away from the infection which i currently behind my right ear. Due to this, he said that he wants me to get new processors (the Rondo 3 specifically) because these don't sit behind the ear and put any pressure on my ear or the area around it. I also have a shunt that runs down currently right where the processor sits so it is rubbing against it.

Can anyone with a rondo 3 tell me about your experience? I have had the sonnets for 4 and 5 years and honestly don't want to change my processors out but it's a necessity. Because I have had the sonnets though, I am very familiar and knowledgeable on these processors. Not so much the rondo 3, honestly I know nothing about them but would love any input from a user. 

I know it's wireless charging which is awesome and the waterwear is easier to put on than the sonnets which is also great because now I live in Idaho and I want to be able to explore and hike/sit in a hotspring if I find one lol. Exactly how long do the batteries last with the rondo 3? I know on MedEls page it says all day but if I use the audiolink does that lower the battery life of the processors like it does with the Sonnets? How is the directionality on these processors? I am afraid it's going to throw off my balance for awhile if they are placed in a different area then my Sonnets.

Thanks for your help!

Morgan Frommer 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Morgan

I am sorry to hear about your infection.  I’m glad your surgeon has a plan.

Rondo 3 has 2 mics just like your Sonnet.  It has a more advanced internal computer chip and will be able to use the adaptive intelligence features of ASM 3.  Rondo 3 can communicate with the remote app and also use the newer FineTuner Echo remote.  It has a receiver built in that picks up audio from the intermediary connectivity device called AudioLink.

Unlike the Sonnet, Rondo 3 does not have a built in telecoil.  It uses a telecoil adapter that can be plugged into its port.

We have a topic on Rondo 3 battery life where you can read people’s experiences.

@Morgan I have Rondo2 I’m bilateral I really enjoy the Rondo I’m getting about 19hrs from the battery takes about4 hrs to recharge.The only problem I had was it came with a #3 magnet I was experiencing slippage problems especially with fast pace walking I call customer service and a  #4 magnet was recommended which had to be approved by the audiologists no problem be sure to ask for the magnet tool very easy to change. Best of luck

Hi @Morgan ! 

I'm a new CI / Rondo 3 user for two weeks now. So far, I love it. It's very easy to handle with very minimal maintenance required. I put it on in the morning at 7am and it lasts me all day (16+ hours) without having to recharge it. I've read about other users complained about the battery life but so far, it never concerns. I also use it with AudioLink to stream audiobook everyday for about 2 hours and stream Zoom meeting at work. 

Directional microphones work great. I've tried to have people talk to me in different positions - in front of me, beside me, they all sound the same. I've been told by my audiologist that Rondo 3 automatically adapts to the environment and adjusts the sound. I'm still in the early stage of my new hearing journey. But so far so good. 

As for the magnet strength, in the beginning I had #5. Then a week later, as my post-op skin had thinning out, I asked my audiologist to change it to #4. I believe, later on, I may switch to #3. Right now it sits comfortably and securely on my head and I never have to wear the retention clip that came with the activation kit. 

The reason that I chose Rondo 3 over Sonnet is that I like the single-unit processor and its simplicity to handle and care for. I used to wear BTE hearing aid and I definitely would not want anything that sits on my ear again (if I have a choice). 

Please let me know if you have any questions about Rondo 3. 

Cheers.

Charlie 

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your inputs! My surgery went extremely well and thankfully he just had to move the magnet so my hearing didn't change at all and I could put my processor back on the next day. It's a weird feeling kind of because I have been wearing the processor directly on my ear but the magnet was also right behind my ear too so it felt heavier to wear for the past 4 years. It doesn't feel that way now. The warranty on my right side cochlear isn't up until December of 2022 unfortunately so I am going to wait until then to potentially switch.

I am going to see if there is a way that I can test out the Rondo 3 before I switch to them to see if it's worth the switch or not.

Thanks all!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Morgan

I am so happy that your revision surgery was less complicated than a full reimplantation!  Terrific!

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi there..

Hi there, actually I use Rondo with telecoil in it. Which means that Rondo 3 have no telecoil on it and what disadvantages are involved? Is is not compatible witn Artone 3 induction or isn't  simple as using with Rondo?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Rondo 3 has a plug in telecoil adapter that needs to be inserted in the Rondo  3 port and then is fixed at MT (50/50).  If we want a T (100/0) setting option our audiologists need to create a program for that. @John Crozier is reporting a ticking sound when using the telecoil adapter with his Rondo 3.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank your Mary Beth.

So I suspect, you need to insert and remove it if you want to use for example Artone 3 Max device.. Curiously I detect this sound if I try to approach a DECT wireless phone in MT mode. It dissapeared if I select M or T mode. I think they are  interferences from the working frequency of Rondo's telecoil and the phone itself. I have not given it any importance, and i confirm that it is not possible maintain a normal conversation with the ticking noise.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

When I was considering Rondo 3 I believe I asked Med-El about the telecoil settings our audiologists can set in a program slot and learned that a program can be set to have telecoil off.  That may mean that the telecoil adapter can remain in place all day and we can switch to programs as desired.

1) everyday program with the default MT mix with the telecoil adapter

2) everyday program that our audiologists set the telecoil to 100/0 so it operates like T only with the telecoil adapter

3) everyday program that our audiologists set the telecoil to OFF so it operates like M even with the telecoil adapter in place.

But the water resistance of Rondo 3 is based on NOT having the telecoil adapter in place.

Check with your audiologist or Med-El to be sure I am recalling this correctly.

I am thankful our audiologists can set telecoil settings.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Mary Beth,

I have my 5 year review (...yes, 5 years right now...) and I don't know if they will give me the option to upgrade. I am reading these days through the forum the different options, advantages and disadvantages, although if I am honest, I would prefer another single unit processor.

My preferences (not all of them will be fulfilled). Battery life, possibility to secure the processor to the head as I do with Rondo with the glasses, direct streaming/audio without intermediate devices, possibility to control the processor with the mobile and not depend of FineTtuner....)

Some things are dreams, but Christmas is just around the corner.... 😁