Music Appreciation and CI's

HuroniaGirl

A big shout out to @Mary Beth for your You Tube video describing your reacquaintance  with music! Wow, Mary Beth, you have such a precise and analytical approach to your hearing. I am so impressed.

I was a VERY amateur guitar player and finally gifted my beloved 12-string to my son last year, because I had trouble tuning 6 strings, let alone 12! I think my hearing loss was actually evident decades ago when my husband, would often remark that I was out of tune. He played sax throughout highschool. He bought me an electronic tuner to help.  Eventually I wasn't even hearing professionally recorded melody and lyrics properly, though I did develop a keen appreciation for rhythm and beat that I could still hear via streaming!

I have been activated with my CI for almost two months and it was stressed to me, also, that speech recognition is the highest priority for CI recipients. I am delighted to realize that I am beginning to hear music better each day. It's very gradual and subtle, but it has become enjoyable again. Like you, I am very grateful for this extra blessing. 

A question: while you continued your rehab with regard to music, did you stream it all the time, or were you listening from speakers as well? It's noticeably different when I stream, (still sometimes seems a bit off key or in a different pitch), compared to listening from speakers. I still wear a hearing aid in my left ear, and perhaps that is balancing out the slightly robotic sound I am getting from the CI.

I am sending the link to your video to my daughter who is a classically trained piano teacher. She will be very interested in this. I first heard of implants 20 years ago when her husband's tiny toddler niece received an implant. I never dreamed I would need one!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you for your kind words @HuroniaGirl.

I approached music listening and music pitch training very differently than I approached speech training.  For speech training I trained three ways… right CI only, left CI only and bilaterally.  I did this because there are times when I just listen to speech with one ear….  Holding up my phone to the processor mic, or listening to a person seated next to me in a noisy place etc.  I trained speech both by streaming and through the air because streaming versus through the air sound different to me.

For music, which is so much more precise with respect to pitches than speech and a much more complex audio signal, I only trained bilaterally. Since I will be listening to music bilaterally, I wanted to develop a strong bilateral appreciation of music. I trained music both by streaming and by using speakers through the air.

• Like 1

Thank you, Mary Beth. Once I receive my pending upgraded processor (red tape for approval in Canada) I will get a paired hearing aid, which is available with AB so that I will be able to stream in stereo. I look forward to that. 

So I am on the right track with rehab I am just exposing myself to as much auditory stimulation as I can, and I am pretty amazed by what I hear now! I still shy away from the phone. It's more a matter of being aware of the volume on my phone, and whether or not my phone is on Bluetooth. Sometimes technology defeats me 😅

• HearPeers Heroes

@HuroniaGirl

It is a process.  Sounds like you are doing great!  Practice the phone with a friend.  It will get less intimidating in time.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

You can also do a phone training program called Telephone with confidence. It’s a program run by Cochlear. You just google it and it will give you lists of words to hear and you can see them are you hear them. I really liked the program. 

• Like 1

Hi huroniagirl, wow you sound like me (sorry for pun) i try to expose my left ci to as much as possible. I sampled everything as soon as i could, stream music that doesnt sound real sweet until maybe the third time loi. But seriously in one month i can hear most of the melodies, some of the instruments, and today noticed i can understand some of the lyrics! And words and voices are getting clearer too. Like i think john said, the music training helps with words also. Keep on keepin on and thanks for posting! ( you too mb)

• Like 1