Rondo 3 irritations

Alexandrin

Bonjour,

Je suis bi-implantée, j’ai des processeurs Sonnet. Je dois faire le choix d’un nouveau processeur, le Rondo 3 me tente cependant je constate que certaines personnes ont des irritations au niveau de l’aimant, qu’en est-il vraiment ? Merci de vos témoignages.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Alexandrin

Welcome to HearPeers.

I have not read many reports of difficulties with the Rondo 3 magnet.  We have quite a few Rondo 3 users here.  Maybe they will comment on their experiences with the Rondo 3 magnet.

Rondo 3 is a lighter processor than Rondo 1.  I have bilateral Rondo 1 processors and do not have any problem with magnet strength.  They use a stronger magnet than I use with the D-coil/DL-coil, but they always stay in place unless I do something that knocks them off (like pulling a shirt off over my head without removing them first).

Along a similar line what @Mary Beth said.  I’ve read folks with irritation tend to use a magnet strength that’s too strong / unnecessary.  Usually going down from like 5 (strongest) to 4 clears it up.  The muscles can get irritated from the, I guess pull.  I’ll occasionally get irritated but they moved a couple muscles out of the way and Otologist already said that’ll be the source of issues for up to a year, sometimes longer.  Not everybody has the issue and there are more without issues than with.  :)

Il y a 5 heures, Mary Beth a dit :

Salut @Alexandrin

Bienvenue sur HearPeers.

Je n’ai pas lu beaucoup de rapports de difficultés avec l’aimant Rondo 3. Nous avons pas mal d’utilisateurs de Rondo 3 ici. Peut-être qu’ils commenteront leurs expériences avec l’aimant Rondo 3.

Rondo 3 est un processeur plus léger que Rondo 1. J’ai des processeurs rondo 1 bilatéraux et je n’ai aucun problème avec la force de l’aimant. Ils utilisent un aimant plus puissant que celui que j’utilise avec la bobine D / DL, mais ils restent toujours en place à moins que je ne fasse quelque chose qui les fait tomber (comme retirer une chemise sur ma tête sans les enlever d’abord).

Merci pour votre accueil. Je suis très hésitante entre le Rondo 3 et le Sonnet 2, j’ai pu tester le Rondo 3 avec mes réglages, la compréhension est bonne, pour cet essai a été placé un aimant force 4, actuellement sur mon processeur Sonnet l’aimant est de force 2. Je réfléchis aussi à la durée de la batterie du Rondo 3, qui est très différente d’une personne à une autre, vu les différents réglages, je porte mes processeurs environ 16 heures. C’est une décision importante à prendre.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Alexandrin

I am in the same position as you.  I had considered Rondo 3 even though I prefer a built in telecoil with easy access to T only setting.  But then I read Rondo 3 users reports of battery life in their real lives.  Way too short for my 16 hour listening day.  So that made me change my mind.

Sonnet 2 uses disposable batteries also, which I prefer.  Has a built in telecoil which works as T only on all programs if desired.  And has direct streaming of all audio from phone/tablet with AudioStream.  It’s a better match for me.

Concernant l’autonomie de la batterie du Rondo 3, on peut aussi s’interroger sur sa durée pendant 5 ans, au fil des années elle doit s’user, comment gérer ce problème, puisqu’on ne peut pas la changer ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Alexandrin

Exactly!  Whatever the battery life is at the start, will definitely decrease over time as all rechargeable batteries do.  The only solution is to have Med-El perform a service on the Rondo 3, which may work differently in different countries.  Only Med-El can replace the Rondo 3 internal battery.

• 3 weeks later...

@Alexandrin. J'a1 un Rondo 3 activé depuis à peu près un mois. Je porte des piles rechargeables. La durée de la batterie chez-moi actuellement est assez régulière. Je l'enclenche vers 07:30 le matin et déclenche entre 22:30 - 23.30 le soir ou il me reste entre 15% et 20% de charge. Audiolink me calcule que j'aurai assez jusqu'a 02:00 du matin de la journée suivante.

Selon les irritations. Pendant la première semaine après l'activation j'ai ressenti de petits problèmes d'irritation, (niveau 4) de temps en temps. A my première séance après l'activation ils ont changé l'aimant pour quelque chose plus faible, (niveau 3)  et depuis je n'ai plus d'irritation du tout.

Je vous souhaite bonne chance!

• 6 months later...

Good day,

Any one else experiencing heat and red skin around and ontop of the implant and the RONDO 3?

Had it for 5 days now, and is a bit concerned about the heat that being produced.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dika Swart

Welcome to HearPeers.  That is not typical.  I suggest you contact your CI center.  I hope this gets resolved for you quickly.

The processors do not become hot while we are using them.

4 hours ago, Dika Swart said:

Good day,

Any one else experiencing heat and red skin around and ontop of the implant and the RONDO 3?

Had it for 5 days now, and is a bit concerned about the heat that being produced.

I second the suggestion to contact your CI doctor, the heat sounds like skin irritation/inflammation causing it to be warm to touch. It's possible that your Rondo 3 has too strong magnet for your skin to tolerate and it should be downgraded to a weaker one, but it's something that should be consulted with a professional, as it might be something else.

I did have irritations due to magnets in the past and the skin did become slightly warmer in the affected areas.