Rehab with direct streaming

artkup

By means of background, I am a recent bimodal listener with a Rondo in my right side, and a Phonak HA in my left. On the recommendation of @Mary Beth on this site, when on the computer or watching TV, I have been using the Artone Maxloop 3 neck loop, using the t-coil in both devices to simultaneously stream to both sides.

I'm curious if people think that spending a lot of time direct streaming to the devices, will negatively impact my rehabilitation to hear "naturally" through the air with the bimodal  devices, but without the direct streaming. Should I limit my use of direct streaming while rehabbing with my new HA as it may make me too dependent on direct streaming to the detriment of my in-air rehab development?

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Anytime we use direct streaming or various connectivity devices, listening is easier.  So it remains important to spend time listening without those devices also.  I trained using assistive listening devices and I also trained using live voice.  For me it is always helpful to train for exactly what we want to improve.  So if we want to improve hearing with devices without using assistive tech, then we train that way.  If we want to improve hearing across the room, we train that way.  If we want to improve listening in noise, we train that way.

Thanks mary beth. I am around at least one person talking to me all day. Yesterday i used my audio stream in the morning and switched to sonnet and audio link. I spent the afternoon with one person and it seemed better with (regular) battery cover than the AS cover, have you ever experienced this? Am i nutz? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

I did notice a slight difference in sound quality between the regular battery cover and the AudioStream cover but for me the AudioStream cover sounded slightly better.  I thought it may just be a tighter fitting cover which had a small impact on the disposable battery contacts.

17 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dianna

I did notice a slight difference in sound quality between the regular battery cover and the AudioStream cover but for me the AudioStream cover sounded slightly better.  I thought it may just be a tighter fitting cover which had a small impact on the disposable battery contacts.

Good to know, ive been using only rechargeBles 😏

That's something I have wondered about as well. I even catch myself forgetting to wear my hearing aid on the other side as my implanted ear is hearing so well now. I stream audiobooks at least an hour a day and music while I do supper cleanup but, in the evening, I watch TV without the aid of a streamer or my neckloop for my hearing aid. I still seem to lean on closed captioning, but I know that I am hearing the words - it just seems that my brain isn't computing what I hear as quick as it should. I am hoping that I am doing what it takes to rehab. I am even able to talk on the telephone without the aid of streaming, although I prefer streaming as it is louder. I am taking the "shotgun" approach and trying all means of hearing!  

I've been for the most part exclusively rehabbing with streaming or via apps. I live alone so don't have anyone to practice with. I do well with streaming with Rondo 3 from my TV via AudiioLink and much prefer that. I'm the reverse of @artkupin that my Phonak HA is on my right side and implant on the left; I try to go without the HA as much as possible though. @Mary Bethalso pointed me in the direction of the Artone which I love, but I only use that when needing to use both CI and HA. Normally when home, unless working remotely, I have only my CI on (either Sonnet 2 EAS or Rondo 3).

I do have noticeable differences between the two processors. Rondo 3 is pretty much my exclusive streamer and Sonnet 2 EAS is my day-to-day processor. Funny enough, the Rondo and Sonnet without EAS sounds fine to me. At my last MAP my AuD went back and forth with the Sonnet (EAS/no EAS) and while I preferred the sounds of no EAS we had to leave it turned on because I have better sound distinction with it meaning rehab is "easier". So most of my active rehab work is with the Sonnet 2 EAS (no streaming) and my passive rehab is streaming from the TV to my Rondo 3 via AudioLink.