Comparing Artone and Roger Neckloop Systems

artkup

I just received my lightly used Roger Select (In) to connect to the Roger NeckLoop. I will be using this thread to post impressions comparing the Roger neckloop ecosystem to the Artone ecosystem which I've been using for the last 5 weeks or so. Stay tuned and please post your experiences 

Cost: (may need to adjust numbers, going off of memory)

Artone (Amazon)

Neckloop ~$130

TVB Streamer ~$60

Microphone ~ $130

Roger 

Neckloop ~$200 (Connevans, UK)

Select (function as both mic & streamer) ~$300 (eBay)

One drawback of the Roger neckloop, is it receives a radio signal, not Bluetooth. So I'm wondering how people stream from the phone to the Roger neckloop? I have an idea but curious what others have done. There's also a wired solution using the usb-c on the neckloop but rather not have any wires.

• HearPeers Heroes

Roger tech is designed to work with BOTH a transmitter and a receiver.

Select- transmitter

Roger MyLink- receiver

So audio gets sent through the Select.  

I am not sure that the audio interface on the new Roger neckloop can be used for things other than speech to text or recording.  But I have not played with that new Roger neckloop yet so it’s probably best to ask Connevans.

• HearPeers Heroes

It gets complicated to compare Artone to Roger because they are different types of assistive listening devices.

Both Artone and Roger neckloop or Roger MyLink are neckloops that use our telecoil .

But Roger neckloop and Roger MyLink are RECEIVERS.  They are designed to receive the audio transmitted through a Roger transmitter.

Artone is a BT neckloop which operates as a stand alone device for BT connections.

@Mary Bethit turns out that the Select IN docking station accepts a TOSlink optical input so can act analogously to the Artone TVB to stream from a TV signal to the neckloop. Similarly, as the select is a sophisticated microphone, it functions analogously to the Artone microphone to transmit to the neckloop. The one place where the Roger neckloop "infrastructure" falls short, is in streaming wirelessly from the phone, though it is capable of streaming with a wire via a usb-c on the bottom of the neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

how do things sound if you plug into the Roger neckloop audio usb-c to your phone?

45 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@artkup

how do things sound if you plug into the Roger neckloop audio usb-c to your phone?

Sound is good, but I don't care for needing a cable between my phone and the neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@artkup

Ues I am not interested in being cabled to my phone either.  That’s why I use the Artone.

Yes, I understand. When I started this bimodal project, I was hoping to find one infrastructure set that would work for all situations. I'm still trying to see if I can use the usb-c on the Roger neckloop to install a BT receiver.

A few observations:

1 - Roger neckloop is physically more pliable than Artone, and, I suspect, will last longer due to less chance of the loop experiencing ,"breaks" from too much bending.

2 - Artone neckloop + TVB produces better quality music and overall sound from tv broadcasts than does the Roger Neckloop with Select IN. Roger ecosystem seems to "compress" the sounds more while Artone has less/no filter, allowing more frequencies through.

3 - Related to 2 above, Roger setup has better sound with respect to human voice.

4 - battery life on Roger (10 hours) ~ 2x that of Artone (5 hrs)

5 - the loop part of the Roger can be swapped out if it ever gets torn. Replacement part is only about $20

6 - so far have been unable to use Roger with cell phone, though there does seem to be an adapter that works with land line. Major advantage here goes to Artone

7 - connectivity is easier with Roger, since it relies on dedicated FM frequency rather than BlueTooth.

8 - Roger neckloop has less buzz when walking past/through electromagnetic interference

Will add more as I learn more 

we've been using the Quatro Pro, and are having a terrible time, can't seam to figure out the new smart tv 

let alone the vehicle   

and the  i-phone works most of the time     so he only uses to the tiny screen for all entertainment 

the sonnet is older but still works,  

should we purchase a artone?    just got new clear sound quarto pro a few months ago,

we are buying new aid's because we hope they come with some support so far no one knows how to combine the two sides 

aids/implant   the peril of small town living  and Kaiser medical 

Glyn 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glyn

you can follow this link to request a 1:1 captioned video meeting with your regional Med-El rep in the US.  The rep can help with options for bimodal (1 hearing aid/1 CI processor) streaming.

https://web.cvent.com/event/bf4df0f5-e7e8-4282-9a9f-a09de31f4fc2/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glyn

It may be worth using the email they post to request a 1:1

DC8A4CFC-4BC6-4FDB-81FA-6E2354932C2F.jpeg

Thank's for your help Mary Beth !

I am going to purchase an artone, you said in your interview that there is a new longer battery life 

unit and it can remember (pair with) up to 8 devices 

how can I find this latest model?  

Glyn 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glyn

That Artone model has been available for quite a few years now.  It has a micro usb charger instead of a pin charger.  I get about 6 hours of continuous streaming with my Artone. I have 2 so one is always charged and ready.  When I get a low battery warning, I turn that one off and turn the other one on and it connects automatically and I’m good to go.  Then I plug  the first one in to charge.  I just rotate like that on very long streaming days.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glyn

You are welcome.  I’m happy to help. Let us know what you think of it after you give it a try.