Sonnet with ASM 2.0 versus Sonnet 2 with ASM 3.0 sound quality

David

I have bilateral Sonnet processors originally provided in 2015 and 2017 with ASM 1.0 and upgraded to ASM 2.0 in 2017. Quite frankly, ASM 1.0 provided an overall superior hearing experience for me.

Has anybody upgraded from Sonnet with ASM 2.0 to Sonnet 2 with ASM 3.0?  If so, have you experienced an overall improvement with your hearing experience?

Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

ASM 1 is used for Rondo 2, Rondo 1 and OPUS 2. (And if anyone in the US still has it on their Sonnet 1 from before ASM 2 was released.)

ASM 2 is used for Sonnet 1  and people in the US using Sonnet 2 that has not been updated by their audiologist to ASM 3.

ASM 3 is used for Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2.  I have heard good things about sound quality in ASM 3.

I have had my ASM 2 MAPs configured to use OMNI mic setting in my Sonnet 1.  The automatically converted MAPs did not work at all for me.  We had to start from scratch in creating ASM 2 MAPs on my Sonnets using Omni mic setting.  It took time to get things correct but we did succeed.  It was not an easy adjustment.

@Mary Beth

I had the same experience as you in 2017, but the separately created ASM 2 OMNI settings never performed as well as ASM 1 or ASM 2 Natural settings, even after muliple MAP appointments. For example, I could easily differentiate between any musical note played with a piccolo and flute with ASM 1, yet still cannot with ASM 2. As aside, my Sonnets have the most current firmware and only use the Natural setting.

ASM 3 sounds like a wonderful advancement based upon the information presented in Med-El's white paper, however it would be very helpful to hear from others who upgraded from Sonnet 1 with ASM 2.0 to Sonnet 2 with ASM 3.0 about their experiences.

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

I agree that first hand real life reports are best.  I have several friends who have upgraded Sonnet using ASM 2 to Sonnet2 using ASM 3 and their reports are positive.  I feel encouraged by that.  I look forward to following your upgrade experience if you choose to proceed.  When I upgrade, I will share my experiences as well.

@Mary Beth

I'm glad to learn your friends had a positive experience, and hope other Med-El uses will report theirs. Although I'm eligible to upgrade the left Sonnets now, I will also be eligible to upgrade the right side Sonnets in April and may upgrade both at the same time. I too will post my findings if I proceed.

@David I was the first one at MEEI in Boston back in September-ish to get ASSM 3.0 for my Sonnet 2 & Rondo 3.

Overall, I found the differences to be fairly sizable.  Before with 2.0 I always had to change to custom program for traffic and everyday noises in a city else my head would explode.  While I still have this program (I think, don’t quote me!), I’ve found it’s not necessary after we turned up a couple settings and got more in depths with tuning and tweaking.  I’ve found I rarely bother changing to a different program than the first (1) which is plain ol ASM 3.0.

Wind noise is so much nicer than 2.0.  There’s 2, or three settings for this in the Audi program.  Mines set to max since Boston gets super duper windy.

Everyday noises.  Handles things a little more organized.  I can say sometimes if somebody’s standing next to me trying to talk there’s like a 25% chance the processor doesn’t pick it up since the update.  It’s odd and it’s so intermittent that Audi and I are simply blaming my brain.  

Music is a bit clearer.  Audi created her own music oriented program that she asked me to try and it’s pretty great,  I can’t really say what she did or how since I know nothing!

If given the choice between 2.0 & 3.0, definitely upgrade.  Is it all sunshine and roses?  No, and I’d hope the Audi gives a new map session.  It seems a bit more customizable for Audiologists to help their patients a bit more with their needs.