CI Cost in US.

sficag

Dear Friends: I'm 56, with otosclerosis bilateral in middle and inner ear. Today, my right ear is not longer working because hearing aid is not useful. Only solution is CI but, here in Chile is very expensive and our insurance it doens't cover neither the battery. I'looking for Med-el Rondó. Is the most discret but I would like receive coments and results about it and also, if some one know, how much can cost in Florida. I'm planning go there between january or february. I have relatives in Delray Beach.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome. I also have otosclerosis and have had a CI. It's great. In the U.S., typically CI surgeries are covered by people's individual health insurance plans. I do not know of anyone who self-paid for a CI surgery here.

Mary Beth

Hello Mary Beth. what CI are you using? I would like Rondo. Some people say are very similar in results compare with Cochlear or aB but designe is more discret.

When talking with Dr. Bartels about costs, the figure of $30,000 US was mentioned but don't quote me on that. I willi inquire again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers!!

From what I understand, each hospital negotiates how much they will pay for the CI. This could mean the cost per person could be different depending on where you go. From what I have heard from different people, it could range anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 per implant. I had to pay 50,000.00 U.S. But my insurance did cover it. I do not have the rondo, I have 2 Opus2. The opus 2 or the sonnet can be very discreet as well. If you choose close to your hair color, some people won't even notice that you have one

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I have both the Opis 2 and the Rondo. I will soon be getting the Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth, I will be getting the Sonnet soon as well. Can't wait. Wish I knew how long the wait will be. It is my understanding that they are a little back logged with all the orders.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Yeah I guess the Sonnet has been popular. I will receive Sonnets when I am bilaterally implanted and later receive the other Sonnet via the voucher system.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

MaryBeth

The implant that goes under the skin and into the cochlea is called the synchrony. The processor that will sit on your ear is called the sonnet.

I have the sonata implant and the Opus 2 processor

What do you mean by "the other sonnet via voucher system"?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry Adam. I posted fast. I am having my second ear done next month and will receive 2 Sonnets and the free Rondo at activation. We will set one of those Sonnets up for my first ear. I also have the voucher for a free Sonnet from the first surgery in February. MedEl is not yet processing those vouchers. When they do, that Sonnet will be a back up. And yes, I will be implanted with the Synchrony this time. One concert and one Synchrony implant. I am hoping to get a copy of my cool X-ray as well. I have one of the first implant.

Sorry for any confusion.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry guys, but I have to say this - I wish that Med-El didn't forget the receivers of other implants like they didn't CI's...:( :( :(

• HearPeers Heroes

What do you mean Ivana

Mary Beth, so they are not considering you an upgrade since you are have a new ear done? I guess that makes sense. I was wondering how you were getting all that stuff as I thought you were upgrading and not getting a new implant

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

I am not an upgrade. I am going bilateral. New implant in my left ear. Right ear was implanted in February.

• HearPeers Heroes

MED-EL is running the Plus Rondo offer till the end of the year for SYNCHRONY CI purchasers. Many CI centers give u 2 processors when you purchase a CI.

So many SYNCHRONY customers are getting 2 SONNETS and a Rondo.

Mary Beth,

Good to hear you are scheduled for going bilateral.

• 7 months later...

Strange thing is that we received only one OPUS2 A.Processor  with Concerto implant (

So, what is normal package should include: 2 audio processors?? (whom should i claim the second one? or this is country base policy? )

hoping for any feedback

thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

This is dependent on your CI center and your country. In the US, some centers are dual processor centers and some centers are single processor centers. In many other countries, single processors are the norm.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes - this is the country based policy. In my homeland, Croatia - we also have "one-processor" policy, only few hundreds kilometres away (Austria) insurance companies give 2 processors bilaterally without problem...

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 9/10/2015 at 1:00 AM, Mary Beth said:

Sorry Adam. I posted fast. I am having my second ear done next month and will receive 2 Sonnets and the free Rondo at activation. We will set one of those Sonnets up for my first ear. I also have the voucher for a free Sonnet from the first surgery in February. MedEl is not yet processing those vouchers. When they do, that Sonnet will be a back up. And yes, I will be implanted with the Synchrony this time. One concert and one Synchrony implant. I am hoping to get a copy of my cool X-ray as well. I have one of the first implant.

Sorry for any confusion.

Do you feel any difference in quality between Concert and Synchrony ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

No, not at this time.  Both the internal Concert and internal Synchrony implants work wonderfully and my sides are very balanced.  There is a difference in which strength MRI testing you can have between the two internal implants.  I believe there are other differences too...things that the internal Synchrony can do that the Concert cannot do......but those features have not been put into use yet to my knowledge.  With future sound coding/processing options, I may encounter a difference.

As things are right now, both perform amazingly well and there is no difference in sound quality for me.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I read that there are private hospitals that make surgery for around $5000 in addition to the cost of the implant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 9/8/2015 at 3:35 PM, Adam said:

Welcome to hearpeers!!

From what I understand, each hospital negotiates how much they will pay for the CI. This could mean the cost per person could be different depending on where you go. From what I have heard from different people, it could range anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 per implant. I had to pay 50,000.00 U.S. But my insurance did cover it. I do not have the rondo, I have 2 Opus2. The opus 2 or the sonnet can be very discreet as well. If you choose close to your hair color, some people won't even notice that you have one

Adam

From what I learned early on is that the surgery center (in the US) decides whether there are two processors offered per just one. I was able to get two. I chose Rondo and Sonnet.

I would imagine that this depends on the hospital negotiating costs.

• HearPeers Heroes

Are you saying that even two processor centers may decide to only give you one of processor @Jdashiell? I hope that's not the case. I'm hoping I get two in my package. I was told that the Rondo and the Sonnet are the same price but no one will give me the actual price. I guess I will find out next week. 

• HearPeers Heroes

No not my understanding 

a surgey Center will provide two processors

another may only provide one

its worth doing research in advance 

however, how would a first timer know to ask?