Electrodes

Pru

Question here, I recently had my first CI surgery, and it’s a Med-el. 2 weeks into recovery. I heard sneezing is ok (I really try Not to) when sneezing with mouth open. However, my husband is worried, the sneezing may “move” (out of place) the perfectly placed electrodes arrays during recovery period. This shouldn’t be the case right? 

Thanks if you can get back to me on this one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pru

congratulations on your cochlear implant.  You must be excited for activation.  When is it?

Its best to follow whatever guidelines your CI team gave to you.

Good morning Mary Beth, I’m so nervous and excited about activation day. That’s coming on March 24th. Then I’ll find out which direction, I will be heading…,looking forward to learning to hear and hear again. The guidelines from CI team were to sneeze with mouth open and Do Not ever blow your nose. Been following that. 

Here’s a reply from Med-El:

It would be nearly impossible to dislodge the electrode while sneezing or coughing. The electrode array is placed within the cochlea (inner ear) and has to be physically removed with surgical tools by a surgeon. I don’t think you should worry about this. 

I’m from the Toronto,ON area and have read your comments on here, so I’m feeling a bit less apprehensive and more encouraged about this CI journey. 

Thank you for reaching out. 😃

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pru

It is so exciting and overwhelming at first isn’t it?  Hang in there.  We are a friendly group so ask as many questions as you wish.

We organize a monthly GoogleMeet video chat with automatic captions.  The next one is March 20.  Here is a link in case you are interested in joining us.

Did you choose Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3?

@Mary Beth Thank you for the GoogleMeet video chat invite.
i went for the Rondo 3, and I already bought fashionable covers for them too! One of them is Captains Choice (haha!, I’m a big kid at heart) and the rep., even suggested bedazzling one of my covers - we need to watch for weight of the bedazzles and placement - as to not to cover the 2 microphones. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pru

I’m not sure what Captain’s choice looks like.  Post a pic

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pru

so cool!  I just ordered the green monster covers for my Sonnet coils.

Keep us posted, Pru.  I was just evaluated and am borderline at 62% (needs to be 60% or less) speech understanding with my HA. At least I think that is what my AuD said.  She indicated Vanderbilt, nearby, will assess based on patient outcome.  If I am "motivated" to get a CI, they would be the place to try.  Not precisely sure if that means it's a good idea or not to pursue, but fact is it sure won't improve, so may as well take the plunge sooner than later.  First step is an MRI to rule out a tumor as reason for my rapid left ear sloping decline in a short time after a 10 years relatively stable with HAs.  The people on this site are super helpful.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Good evening @Rubella @Mary Beth 

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here and posted. I was activated on March 24th, then the 1 week mapping came and the 1 month check up and 2nd mapping happened recently.

I am very, very happy to hear and comprehend speech 100%, everyone and everything sounds so natural, music is amazing, television is so surround sound and doing audio/hearing exercises through Amptify - open, Cochlear readings on phone - open, has been amazing. I hardly ever stream or haven’t use the mic - it’s part of the training. I stream phone calls or listen to music once in awhile - that’s a treat!

Now, I don’t have trouble hearing people with masks on, no longer lip reading, or straining to hear as I did with 1 H/A (that ear became deaf too), and deaf in the other ear, with hereditary gradual hearing loss/ deafness in both ears.

It’s so cool to eavesdrop (just trying to guess who the person is) through close door, and know who my husband is talking to on the speaker phone, based on the individual’s voices and speech patterns. I get the person right every time, I never met them. It’s crazy!

I can chat, answer questions, and cook dinner/lunch simultaneously - that happened during Easter!, I could never do that before.  

It’s been an incredible 41 days of CI Rondo 3 Med-el hearing.

I am always forever grateful and happy for this wonderful miracle to hear again.

My team at Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant Program has been fantastic- they are my heroes, they went above and beyond: Cheryl, Dr. Chen, Amy, Maria, Erica, Laura, Luana, front desk team, entire surgical team. They, made such a wonderful and life changing difference for me. Med-el is a serious product for superior listening. I’m so happy and glad Dr. Chen implanted Med-el, this CI is like a Bugatti Chiron 😃🚙

My heart is so happy and forever thankful. I hope the same for everyone who is a Med-el recipient, you all deserve so much awesomeness in the world of hearing. 👍

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pru

so happy you are enjoying this life changing tech too!