Wind noise and low frequency distortion

RRG

Hello,

I am experiencing wind noise with my Rondo 3, even when turning my head inside the house. I have another mapping on April 6 and will ask if this can be tuned. 

Mary Beth mentioned the water wear cover during the last meeting, and I decided to try it for everyday use to see if it helps reduce wind noise. I'm pleased to report wind noise is noticably reduced without impacting the sound quality. Thanks Mary Beth for the inspiration!

During my next mapping I am going to ask that low frequencies be reduced too, as this is causing distortion, like a blown speaker. I installed an equalizer app in Google Chrome so I can lower the frequencies below 500hz, and that has helped clear up speech recognition when streaming from my laptop.

This is the app:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/equalizer-for-chrome-brow/abikfbojmghmfjdjlbagiamkinbmbaic?hl=en-US

I'll report back after my next mapping.

• Like 2

• RRG changed the title to Wind noise and low frequency distortion
  • HearPeers Heroes

@RRG

Ask if wind noise setting is set to STRONG.  (I believe strong, mild and off are the options.). You can have the same program set to different wind block settings and stored in different program slots to experiment a bit.

Also ask if if you are on Adaptive intelligence mild or strong or if that is turned off.

Could be interesting to know your ambient and transient noise reduction settings too.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I saw the audiologist today. We did more testing/mappings and dropped the 72Hz frequency to try to reduce the distortion. It seems better and I will continue to test. Regarding wind noise, there is no manual settings option when using ASM 3, only with ASM 2.  One of my programs set today was  ASM 2 with the strong wind noise setting. I noticed some improvement, but find the water wear cover still works better, so going to stick with the ASM 3 setting and cover. I forgot to ask what the adaptive intelligence settings are.

My speech recognition with no background noise is 80%, up from 60% when tested 3 months ago. Speech continues to sound less robotic. I still struggle in noisy environments though. Overall the audiologist, and I, are pleased with my progress.

I also met with the surgeon for a follow up and he's pleased with my progress. He did the acoustic neuroma removal and CI last year.

Regards

• HearPeers Heroes

@RRG

I did not realize the wind block settings were no longer able to be set independently in ASM 3.   I do not find wind block to be helpful and have it turned off in ASM 2.

This is what I read on the Med-El pro blog that made me think wind block can be set independently….

”Map-Specific Settings
Set map-specific front-end processing levels,
like Strong Wind Noise Reduction for one map
and Mild for another.”

And a friend reported that she has a MAP with AI off and wind noise set at mild.

• HearPeers Heroes

Let’s ask @MED-EL Moderator for some guidance.

In ASM 3 can wind block be set to mild, strong, off as a separate setting from just choosing AI mild or strong?

Hi there,

Wind Noise Reduction can be set to mild and strong separately from the Adaptive Intelligence in ASM 3, as well as be turned off independently.

Kind regards,
Gordana

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi there,

Wind Noise Reduction can be set to mild and strong separately from the Adaptive Intelligence in ASM 3, as well as be turned off independently.

Kind regards,
Gordana

That’s really helpful to know since the wind is unusually bad this year in Boston so trying to find a proper solution is always a chore.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

maybe EarGear covers or using the waterwear cover without the seal?