Rondo and Sonnet

putzie

Hello, everyone!  (Have "tuned in" to "HearPeers" for a couple of months. Such a help!

I have had my CI since Sept. 16, turned on 2 weeks later.  I have both the Rondo and Sonnet, which I change back and forth depending on where I am and what I am doing.  I had the CI put in my deaf ear and wear a hearing aid in the right where my hearing is down to 33%.  I knew I was loosing some of that hearing as I kept saying "what did you say" to my family.  I think they were more concerned (and a little frustrated) than I was.  I did have swelling from the incision that took awhile to improve, making it difficult to wear glasses for a long period.  Then I would switch to the Rondo. That processor is a little more bulky than I thought it would be and I did have to increase the magnet from a two to a three.  The attachment clip is a joke..unless you have baby fingers.  I solved the problem by attaching my own hair clip...small but easy to open and attach.

So, where am I with progress?  I'm having my third visit with my Audi this next week.  I hate the clicks and clacks and the woosey sensation when attaching it, and several other sounds that I don't have words to describe.  I'm sure other CI users know what I'm talking about.

I do practice word exercises with my husband.  Deck of children's learning cards with both pictures and words  and wearing his ear protectors that he uses when operating large equipment.  He said that I .have shown some progress but I still am not sure if I am hearing in my deaf ear.  A couple of weeks ago, my hearing aid quit and had to send it in for repairs.  The loaner they have given me is a pain as  I get very distorted  sounds, but will be back to "normal" when I get mine back.

I did not and do not have unreasonable expectations about this whole process.  My feelings are I had nothing to loose and I hope, much to gain.. Time will tell :)   

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Putzie and welcome!

I was implanted in February and activated in March. I recently had surgery for my second CI and will be activated on Monday.

You can be sure that you are hearing things with your implanted ear alone if you ....

1). Use the DAI cord attached to the FM battery cover on your Sonnet and plugged into a sound source (iPad) to train

2). Use the Quattro 4 neckloop and put your processor on MT or T. Connect the Quattro 4 via Bkuetooth to your sound source to train

By doing either of these things, the sound will only go to your implant and you will not hear the sound with your hearing aid.

ABClix is a great app to start with.

iAngel Sounds is a great app to progress to when you are ready.

Enjoy the ride.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Reel come to hearpeers and thank you for sharing your story. We look forward to getting to know you better.

• HearPeers Heroes

HI putzie I'm Kara. New implanted any waiting for activation!! Good luck!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Putzie,

it's really still the beginning of your journey - be patient and try leave your frustration out of a room. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Putzie, it only gets better. Thanks for sharing the start of your journey. We look forward to hearing about your progress.

Thank you...Mary Beth...Adam...New Hearing;;;Ivana Marinac...Sandy Coull. for taking the time to give me advice and encouragement.

I WILL practice patience!

Putzie

• HearPeers Heroes

Please let us know how you are doing and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, had my third visit with my audi...they are sure a big help.  I did try hooking up the DAI cord and it works...but my brain is still sleeping!  Had my hearing aid fixed...found out that the programs were not even turned on.  Now have three sound levels and boy...had to turn down the TV!  I just purchased the "Hear Clip" and am anxious to see if it works better than attaching the clip to my hair.  My audi told me today that if I leave the tab off the batteries for FIVE minutes instead of 2 I will get 2 more days use.  I do not hear the signals to change the batteries so have to keep a calendar. Something new every week!  Fun!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds pretty awesome. I was activated today the turning on it self blew me away!! It was a chiming noise like when u turn on the computer and windows chimes. It was so loud and unexpected I was so shocked. The audi was too!!! Lol.

• HearPeers Heroes

Putzie,

Two extra days use may be more than what people are reporting by leaving the tabs off and allowing air to activate the zinc air batteries fully before use. It seems to increase the life of the batteries but people are not reporting getting extra days- just extra hours.

I'm just sharing what I've read on another board. This topic was discussed recently at length and several people actually timed their battery life.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

When I was first activated my batteries lasted for 5 days. Now they last for 3 to sometimes 4.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy,

While I was in my initial mappings building up to full strength, my batteries lasted longer too. Since I've been stable, the Rondo batteries last 3 days and the Opus2 batteries (2 battery set up) lasts a little over 2 days.

Mary Beth

• 2 weeks later...

My audi told me today that if I leave the tab off the batteries for FIVE minutes instead of 2 I will get 2 more days use.

I  tried leaving off the battery tabs for 5 min. but did not see any difference in battery life.  Has anyone else tried it?  I would love to see this tested by the Myth Busters.  I think this originated with a student science fair project,

• HearPeers Heroes

The difference is so minimal that it's not worth it to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't noticed any change in battery life, turning right on, waiting 2 minutes or waiting 5. Haven't seen a real difference in the manufacturer either. All about the same

• HearPeers Heroes

There is no need for that - as soon as you peel down a tab, battery is activated. Waiting time really does not make any change.

• 4 weeks later...

Putzie talked about leaving a "tab" off the batteries for 5, rather than 2, minutes to enhance battery life.

What "tab" is she talking about?

I get about 13 hours a day for three days before the warning signal beeps on and off for 5 minutes and then goes absolutely and instantaneously deaf.

I'd love to:1) enhance the battery life; and 2) lengthen the warning period.

David (from Connecticut)

• HearPeers Heroes

David,

You can lengthen the end of battery life a bit by turning the processor off for a while. I turn it off for a couple of minutes and that gives me 15-20 minutes more life.

I've also tried the "pre activation" and found no change to the life of the batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, a real savings is not possible to reach because as soon as the tab is peeled of chemical reaction starts. Even switching off is not possible to stop it because it starts when battery is exposed to the outer air.

This was possible, I believe with mercury-zinc batteries... But not with zinc-air type of batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ask your audiologist about setting options for the dead battery beeps. I get 1-2 minutes. Others get more. That makes me think there is a setting option for our audiologists.

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know for sure how it is with CI but I am pretty sure that is pretty similar but on BB it's possible to adjust volume of the beep and how long before battery really dies starts beeping...

I usually do whole cycle even until my device starts to make shhhhhhh.... Than I am satisfied because I really drained it. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol!! I tend to tell it to be quiet as it is a very annoying noise!! My family looks at me funny!! Lol

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine sounds like a telephone ringing and is annoying. Batteries used to last 5 days but have decreased with each mapping. Now they last 3-31/2 days.