BoneBridge vs. Oticon Ponto Plus for SSD?

Tim

• Members

I tried an Oticon Ponto Plus using a headband and was impressed with the sound quality and the power for transmitting the signal across the skull to my good ear.  

I have enough skin conditions that I don't want to use a system with a post or the BAHA attract system for vibrating through the skin.  

The BoneBridge seems very interesting as a similar technology but with less skin issues.  

Has anyone else here gone from using a bone conduction headband system to then getting a BoneBridge?  Especially people with SSD?  

If so, how did the headband compare with the BoneBridge?   It seems like the headband bone conduction system would suffer from a lot more attenuation due to going through the skin.  

Do you find the BoneBridge has enough power to work well across the skull.  (Oticon sells a separate, higher powered-processor to help with SSD transmitting across the skull to the good ear - that isn't the case for the BoneBridge.)

Thanks,

Tim

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tim Ivana is the best person to talk to. She knows all the facts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Tim. I have cochlear implants so I can't answer your questions but I wanted to welcome you to the group.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tim, 

at first welcome to the Hearpeers forum :) 

I am little bit tired right now but promise you that I will answer you tomorrow...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Tim Ivana is the best person to talk to. She knows all the facts. Ivana we need you!!

Right here Ma'am! ;):D

Just a little bit tired because tonight my colleague and me celebrated together (waited 15 days for her exam) our promotions. ;)

Just a little break before starting new challenges...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

What happens now that you aced your exams and have been promoted?

• HearPeers Heroes

I hear you. You have a really busy life with exams over. I would be exhausted!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers Tim! This is a great community. I think you will enjoy it here. Please stick around and ask as many questions as you would like

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I tried an Oticon Ponto Plus using a headband and was impressed with the sound quality and the power for transmitting the signal across the skull to my good ear.  

I have enough skin conditions that I don't want to use a system with a post or the BAHA attract system for vibrating through the skin.  

The BoneBridge seems very interesting as a similar technology but with less skin issues.  

Has anyone else here gone from using a bone conduction headband system to then getting a BoneBridge?  Especially people with SSD?  

If so, how did the headband compare with the BoneBridge?   It seems like the headband bone conduction system would suffer from a lot more attenuation due to going through the skin.  

Do you find the BoneBridge has enough power to work well across the skull.  (Oticon sells a separate, higher powered-processor to help with SSD transmitting across the skull to the good ear - that isn't the case for the BoneBridge.)

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Tim,

In my personal opinion using of bone conduction hearing implants in SSD patients is pretty much arguable question because using this kind of implants objectively doesn't show significant difference yet patients feel subjectively improvement. This is the part which is not possible to be understood than to except it. There is no way to measure personal satisfaction than to believe to the patient.

Dr. Niparko and colleagues wrote this article about it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21389709

Further, next article reviewed product of the same manufacturer but different generations: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22772008please remind same conclusion although there is no dispute - devices help to the patient but in a way we can not measure it.

It's hard to accuse placebo for that ;)

This is the newest study which evaluate the role of the Bonebridge in SSD patients:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26111077- this article answer your question regarding your concern whether Bonebridge has enough power: it has.

Now let's get back to your questions - if I have understood you well (pardon me, I am not a native English speaker), you have tried Oticon's Ponto but you are concerned regarding the effect of BAHA Attract on your skin. Well, BAHA Attract is not percutaneous device than transcutaneous although with slightly different characteristics: Bonebridge is active, and Attract is passive transcutaneous device. Ponto is still percutaneous device so it still has all side effects. On the other side, Bonebridge does not have any kind of skin issues except some mild skin irritations possibly but this can be solved by the change of the magnet. 

Second line of your text I didn't understand you well, also - your question of the comparison between the headband and the bonebridge: which device you presumed on the headband? BAHA or PONTO?

Last but not least important, from the aspect of the professional who review objective data I have to point out that bone conduction implant will not resolve your holo-location ability and that is why I would put a cochlear implant as the product which I would put as the valuable option which restore the aforementioned aspect but also revive your affected ear. 

Please read this Tim: http://www.medel.com/single-sided-deafness-ci/

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana tired? She is superwoman!

Your read my mind...:D 

But now when life starts again - have so many things to resolve that sometimes even superpower doesn't work effectively. :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana,

Congrats on exams. I believe Tim is asking if anyone has gone from using a headband bone induction system to using the Bonebridge? If so, can you please compare the two systems for the amount of skin irritation and how does it sound once it transmits across the skull to the good ear. Is there enough power?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

After reading your post again it sounds like you answered Tim's questions. No need for my input.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Hadron,

Thank you :)

I understand Tim's question basically but not each one - as I always try to be as accurate as I can, better ask twice than forget.

Well, basically I believe this kind of research wouldn't have much sense if we read that objectively it is not possible to measure subjective content of the patients who clearly say that they benefit with the bone conduction implant but whether this is placebo or something else which is not yet described - right now I don't know but I admit, this is an interesting question.

• HearPeers Heroes

I love you guys!! You are so thorough and always answe all the questions. Great team here!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I love you guys!! You are so thorough and always answe all the questions. Great team here!!!

Well, this is the kind of answer I had in mind Newhearing (sorry, I've forgotten your name  :huh:

I like to show real numbers so everybody can discuss or read all numbers or participate in the conclusion. I always believed that more eyes see more details in order so humanity can make step forward in the direction of future. ;)  :P

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep can't make an educated decision if you do not have all the facts. I did an extensive amount of research in deciding which implant to go with plus learned about the surgery as well as mappings. You should have seen my audits face when I asked her what my maplaws were. She asked how I knew about them and that she has never had a patient ask her about that.

• HearPeers Heroes

For those of you that don't know

The maplaw is a compression parameter that is applied equally to all channels and determines where “soft,” “medium,” and “loud” sounds are mapped into the user's individually-measured dynamic range. The maplaw component of the coding strategy is customisable by the audiologist during the fitting session.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep can't make an educated decision if you do not have all the facts. I did an extensive amount of research in deciding which implant to go with plus learned about the surgery as well as mappings. You should have seen my audits face when I asked her what my maplaws were. She asked how I knew about them and that she has never had a patient ask her about that.

You - NERD!  :D  :D  :P  :D  ;)

Please, transfer this useful advice to a CI section so people can find it  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm Kara. So honoured to be a meme era of this community.

I'm Kara. So honoured to be a member of this community

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm Kara. So honoured to be a meme era of this community.

• HearPeers Heroes

Learning how the use His forum on my iPad. Oops!! Got it for rehab. Starting Wednesday!

• HearPeers Heroes

New Hearing,

Which apps do you have ready to use for training?

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow we are really high tech on this forum!! I think Ivana is right! Geeks might be a better term!!! Lol.