Last minute jitters here!

Elbras

Hello everyone,

Really appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and your feedback.

My surgery for CI is 12/22.

My husband would like your opinion on how well you understand conversations in group situations - like a table of 8 in a restaurant. Are you able to carry a conversation with two or three people?

How about a crowded room?

Thanks again!

Elaine

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elaine,

Yes over time my group listening skills improved. I can participate equally in group discussions now.

Best of luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I forgot to address your crowded restaurant question.

Last month I heard better than my hearing friends at a crowded restaurant. That was surprising!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi well for me it hasn't happened yet. As Mary Beth said it takes time to get there I definitely look forward to that!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Elaine,

It will take some practice but you will get there. Will probably have to read lips for a while but it will get better over time. I have conversations with a friend of mine who just went bilateral, all the time each weekend in a foyer full of 1400 people. Can also carry on a conversation with more than one person in that environment. It took me a while to get there. There are days that I still have struggles.

Good luck on your surgery. Can't wait to hear about it

• HearPeers Heroes

Try to relax and enjoy the ride!! I am so excited about my journey!! I was activated on December 1. I was able to hear voices on the first day. It doesn't happen for everyone though. Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going.

• HearPeers Heroes

Like everyone, it took awhile and still amazes me that I can hear more than one conversation at a time in a crowd. Restaurants can be difficult depending on the noise level.

• HearPeers Heroes

You're right Samdy - the level of noise is important... But there is adjustable sound managment which enables adaptive hearing when is reached level of full sentence understanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

Pick my brain? Mmm...:) I'm sorry Elbras - I'm not native English speaker so I don't understand this expression. Pardon me again :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Not only noise level, but the acoustics of the room. If you go to a restaurant for instance, take a look at the layout and seating in the room. Where you sit, in the middle of the room, with your back to the wall, in front of the entrance to a noisy kitchen..........

Try and keep these things in mind as well

• HearPeers Heroes

Please let us know how things are going, once you feel up to it.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I like to sit close to the walls, I bet this tip helps to all people with hearing loss...

Also, keep in mind to concentrate people at the side of better hearing level...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, little things like this can make a big difference. You just have to experiment and see what works fro you

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeap - lots of experiments... I always stop a little bit and observe the place or propose the place where acoustic is familiar to me...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep it becomes automatic after a while I guess. Was even doing it when I had hearing aids

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course - for me, situation now is lot better just I need to change more often programmes over my remote control what people usually find quite interesting...

Aforementioned model of BB (Amade) had button for changing at the outer unit. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, people do look at me funny when I aim the Fine Tuner at my head and press buttons!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

So, you also need to do these kind of stuff...:) LOL - we are endless source of all kind of explanations.

I hope that remote control will vanish with time... It's totally impractical to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maybe in the future we will have an app on our phones for all of that!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

An app for the iPhone would be great. I find I like to sit with my implanted ear towards the wall or window. That way I still hear everything and don't get much of other conversations or cutlery and dishes clinking. I don't need the finetuner much either.