Single Sided Deafness - is CI the answer?

Hearme

Hello, Everyone,

As a woman in her mid-60s, I have congenital sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, and wear hearing aids in both ears.  I am basically deaf in the right ear, with have decent speech discrimination in the left.

With my current set of hearing aids, I can hear/sense a little bit of sound from my deaf side but zilch discrimination, giving me some directional information as to where to turn. I've been told that a bi-cros hearing aid solution would give me better hearing, but no directional information at all.

However, recently several audiologists have told me that I may be an excellent candidate for a CI in my right ear, which I never dreamed was a possibility. 

My question is: will the sound from a CI be so different/disparate from the sounds in my better ear such that it would make understanding speech and other sounds more difficult?  In other words, will my brain adapt and will my overall discrimination be better with a CI?

Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi, each person's journey with a CI is different so I can only speak for myself. I had very little hearing left in both ears when I received my CI. Over the past two years it has taken patience, practice an perseverance (what we call the 3Ps) to get to the point where I can carry on a conversation in most situations. Sounds can be different for each person to start. People can sound like Mickey Mouse or mechanical. The brain needs time to adjust and one day you have a moment "wow, I heard that". Adam, Mary Beth and Ivana will be able to give you more information. So, ask as many questions as you like, we are here to support you. Reading the posts on this forum will also be of help. For me, this was one of the best decisions I made. It is a lot of work but worth it. Keep us informed of your decision.

Hey there!

I have a CI for single sided deafness. (One ear functions normally) The fact that you have memory of hearing in that ear is likely to benefit you if you do go with a CI. I have been working with a CI implanted as an adult for my right ear and have not had hearing in that ear from a very young age, if even then. It is likely that your brain will adapt. I have gotten much further than my doctors thought possible without memory of hearing on my right side, but I am still working on it since my brain does not have the memory of hearing on that side.

Also there are different programs you can work on to fine tune your hearing and help you adjust mentally to new sounds with a personal audio cable that you can connect your CI and computer with.

Just a couple of things you should probably know before surgery. You will need a couple of shots before surgery to prevent a disease that can affect how well the implant works and the surgery is not when you receive your new hearing, it is often called phase 1 for a reason. After surgery you will be given a few weeks to a month to heal before getting your outside processor (what appears on the outside of a CI) and when it is turned on (the process is called activation) you will start to get new sounds. Any further adjustments are usually referred to as mappings by your audiologist.

• Like 1

Sandy and Winden, thanks so much for your feedback.  I'm still stunned that I would even be considered a candidate for CI after so many years of "there's nothing we can do for you."

Winden, your experience is helpful.  I realize that a CI sounds "robotic" vs. natural, which is my concern about hearing 2 different sounds going into one brain! ;)

I have heard that the experience is different for different people who have had hearing memory on the implanted side prior to surgery. Some say that it is very "natural sounding" and others say "robotic", but your audiologist can help bring it closer to what you are looking for. I was also told for years "there is nothing we can do for you" and as a young girl got in trouble for calling the doctors liars because I simply did not believe them. The idea of natural and artificial sound not working together at all is complete nonsense. It takes time obviously, but the fact that some doctors give up on an idea simply because they have never heard of it makes me not want to take that doctor seriously. I was convinced (and still am today) that many of them just wanted to see their next patients because I was not making them money and they were on some sort of schedule.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello HearMe,

at first I would like to welcome you at the Hearpeers forum at first. :)

Secondly, I have to correct you little bit - you said that you have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss yet the title of your topic is: Single sided deafness? ;)

Furthermore, what are your levels of speech discriminations? At the present, medical science has extensive experience with cochlear implantation and recent researches have shown great success for the implantation no matter how long have you been deaf. If you ever heard your process of adaptation will be smoother because your brain has acquired some knowledge about sound and speech. Yes - like Sandy wrote you already, this is hard work but it is rewardable. Some of them are here: Sandy already answered, Adam will join us soon, Mary Beth is now even binaural CI user freshly and Kara is fresh unilateral user so we can explain to you different phases of rehabilitation. I am actually an otorhinolaryngologist who has been taught so many wonderful things from this team of Borgs. ;) 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Also to fulfill myself - starting sounds are little bit awkward but natural neuroplasticity of the brain change the situation continuously. Regarding the BI-Cros - your audiologist is right: it picks up sound from one side and send it to the other, functioning side. It can actually help little bit regarding the word intelligibility, but on the other side it can not do much about location for which you have to have to functional ear. If you will have a CI implantation you will regain your location ability. 

Wow, all of your responses are so helpful! Keep 'em coming!

Ivana, to answer your question,  I have sensorineural hearing loss in both ears:  mild to severe loss in left ear with good discrimination, severe to profound loss in right ear with very poor discrimination.

So as far as I know, we're looking at a single side CI rather than a bilateral set, at least for the time being.   I'll know more after I meet with another audiologist and ENT next week.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi there!! I'm really a newbie too!! I was implanted in November last year. I love my CI!! It has changed my life!! I was told that I would lose my hearing completely about two years ago. I won't give up until I have tried everything!! Well there won't be any giving up!! I hear well now and can listen to music. Like Sandy said everyone's journey is different and we can compare. But I had noting to lose and can't wait to be bilateral the term we use for two implants. Keep us updated and let us know how things are going!!! We can't wait to hear from you again!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, all of your responses are so helpful! Keep 'em coming!

Ivana, to answer your question,  I have sensorineural hearing loss in both ears:  mild to severe loss in left ear with good discrimination, severe to profound loss in right ear with very poor discrimination.

So as far as I know, we're looking at a single side CI rather than a bilateral set, at least for the time being.   I'll know more after I meet with another audiologist and ENT next week.

As much questions you have we'll try to be helpful. :)

Ok, hearing loss can be different on separate ears but it is still counted as bilateral hearing loss if the hearing curve of your better ear is below 30 dB. Of course, at present moment you are possible candidate for the affected ear.

Second option for you which ENT can propose to you is Bonebridge or BAHA if your hearing is stable but this implant won't rehabilitate your affected ear than pick the sound from your deaf side and conduct it to the better ear. It's different strategies, personally - I believe in the first procedure: trying to revive and rehabilitate "sleepy" ear :)

• HearPeers Heroes

welcome to hearpeers hearme

I actually had a bicross hearing system for a number of years. I now am bilateral which means that I have 2 cochlear implants. Many people do quite well bi-modal or having a CI in one ear and a Hearing aid in the other

I am confused as to ivanas suggestion for bonebridge or BAHA implant as they are for conductive or mixed hearing loss. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned you had sensineural hearing loss.

I am so glad you found hearpeers and all of us will be glad to share our hearing journeys with with you. One thing I would suggest is to consult more with your ENT, audiologist as they know your physical history and hearing history the best.

I can say that after years of hearing aids, then finally losing enough to qualify for a CI, it is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Keep the questions coming

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome,

Like Adam, I also had a bicross hearing system for many years. I got rid of it because the technology for bicross systems was so inferior to the technology for hearing aids. So for many years I wore only a left hearing aid and my right ear was functionally dead.

That "dead ear" was implanted in February after not processing any sounds for 24 years. The doctors cautioned me that I would most likely never develop open set speech understanding in that ear with a CI (never be able to understand speech without speech reading). However, that ear was understanding some open set speech by the end of the first week. I worked on auditory training activities for several hours a day. I know, that's a lot but I was committed to helping my brain learn to decipher these signals. It paid off. I can hear on the phone, listen to audiobooks or podcasts, enjoy music etc all with that ear alone.

By 4 months, my right CI ear was definitely my stronger ear. As the CI signal became better and better, my left ear with the hearing aid was less and less useful. I actually functioned better wearing my CI only at that point as my hearing aid was just providing noise.

My left ear was implanted just recently in October and activated in November. It is doing great! A few more mappings and I will be all balanced. It is so refreshing to hear in stereo.

Again, welcome to the group.

Mary Beth

• Like 2

Everyone,

The stories you're sharing are absolutely inspiring.  To confirm, I have sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, so I don't know if BAHA is even an option for me.

I've always worn regular hearing aids in both ears. I got my last pair about 7 years ago, so I'm only now learning about the bi-cros and CI options.  Where I once had 1 replacement option (regular hearing aids), I now have 2!  Your shares on this forum is invaluable, especially those of you who have one good ear and one deaf ear. 

Once I meet with the ENT and audiologist next week, I'll know better what my options are, especially if I can get CI implant surgery covered by insurance.  I'm told that both insurance and Medicare have a certain threshhold of hearing loss before they'll pay for the surgery.  One step at a time...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes for sure! Keep us posted. I have one CI so I fall into the same category but two is better than one for sure!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hearme

Certain clinics and surgeons in the U.S have their own level of hearing loss before they will do the surgery. The qualifications via the FDA are not bad at all. My surgeon doesn't implant until speech testing scores are much lower. You might be surprised. Also, in the U.S. We are seeing more and more people implanted on one side with a hearing aid on the other. From what I understand, most insurance companies will deny coverage at first. You can appeal. It is generally approved at that point. There are also organizations that help with covering the cost. I went to vocational rehab in my state to see if they could help with the cost of mine. They agreed and covered both of my CIs

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

welcome to hearpeers hearme

I actually had a bicross hearing system for a number of years. I now am bilateral which means that I have 2 cochlear implants. Many people do quite well bi-modal or having a CI in one ear and a Hearing aid in the other

I am confused as to ivanas suggestion for bonebridge or BAHA implant as they are for conductive or mixed hearing loss. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned you had sensineural hearing loss.

I am so glad you found hearpeers and all of us will be glad to share our hearing journeys with with you. One thing I would suggest is to consult more with your ENT, audiologist as they know your physical history and hearing history the best.

I can say that after years of hearing aids, then finally losing enough to qualify for a CI, it is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Keep the questions coming

Adam, it seems that lately you don't understand what I am writing so please ask clarification before you conclude wrong conclusion. I wrote that this is the second option although I don't support from my individual point of view. 

You would be surprised how many people get BAHA or Bonebridge for sensorineural hearing loss although . personally I don't see how much it helps but people are convinced they hear better.

One way or another, one thing they don't get - hololocation.

Also, you put bicross and bimodal in the same paragraph although this is not even close. I don't understand the point.

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone,

The stories you're sharing are absolutely inspiring.  To confirm, I have sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, so I don't know if BAHA is even an option for me.

I've always worn regular hearing aids in both ears. I got my last pair about 7 years ago, so I'm only now learning about the bi-cros and CI options.  Where I once had 1 replacement option (regular hearing aids), I now have 2!  Your shares on this forum is invaluable, especially those of you who have one good ear and one deaf ear. 

Once I meet with the ENT and audiologist next week, I'll know better what my options are, especially if I can get CI implant surgery covered by insurance.  I'm told that both insurance and Medicare have a certain threshhold of hearing loss before they'll pay for the surgery.  One step at a time...

HearMe,

To clarify myself - I support a CI not BAHA even for SSD. I remember that Winden came to this forum that she was advised BAHA. I don't support the concept but there are people who doesn't want a CI. Secondly, I still don't have information how much do you understand with your better ear but this is what some ENTs and audiologists advise. Although medical science is an algorithm, there is certain freedom to choose and recommend options to the patients. 

I have read this week, Medicare has 30-40% of word recognition. Today, modern audiological science don't take thresholds as relevant source because it's not important that you hear some tone than to understand a word. This is how information is passed from person to person. Also, tonal audiogram is subjective test method - this means that people can even 10 dB difference between 2 measurements and it can be affected by mood or even stuffed nose.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Earlier I was in hurry, but now I am sending you complete article from the Audiology about treating single-sided deafness by the bone-conduction implant. Secret is to understand what is proposed - in this rehabilitation algorithm you don't exactly treat deaf ear than collect sound from that side of the head and then sending it to the better or good ear. You can't get location because you're not treating exactly deaf ear - you are rerouting it.

Thorough explanation:

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/understanding-single-sided-deafness-evaluation-6829

http://www.medel.com/single-sided-deafness-ci

The rest stay as I said - my personal opinion and Nr. 1 would be a CI.

Finally, HearMe has bilateral sensorineural deafness but we don't know what is her word recognition score or even hearing curve. If her hearing constantly changes, of course that CI is the most recommended option of the rehabilitation.

Hello Hearme and replying members,

Thanks so much for your post as you asked questions that pertain to my hearing.  I'm a man in his late 60's with progressive hearing loss in both ears and have worn hearing aids in both ears for about a decade.  I'm now basically deaf in my left ear with decent, but apparently declining, speech discrimination in the right.

I can still hear some sound from my left side, but next to (even after recently fitting a flexible mold to my left hearing aid) zilch discrimination.  Appreciate greatly having directional information even when I understand nothing on my left. My audiologist has determined that I am a candidate for a CI in my left ear.

Your question about about whether different/disparate sounds from a CI ear and a better "aided" ear could engender difficulty prompted helpful dialogue from forum members.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

You're very welcome, Chris. I, too, am grateful for this forum.

Later this week I go back to the Audiologist and ENT to take additional hearing tests and to review my inner ear canal MRI results.  At that time, we'll discuss/determine if I am, indeed, a candidate for CI.  I'll keep everyone posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck with your appointment this week, Hearme. Let us know how it goes and if there is anything we can add.

• HearPeers Heroes

Please do we are excited to hear how things are going for you. Please keep asking questions were glad to help in anyway we can. If we don't know we will find out!! Good luck!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Hearme and replying members,

Thanks so much for your post as you asked questions that pertain to my hearing.  I'm a man in his late 60's with progressive hearing loss in both ears and have worn hearing aids in both ears for about a decade.  I'm now basically deaf in my left ear with decent, but apparently declining, speech discrimination in the right.

I can still hear some sound from my left side, but next to (even after recently fitting a flexible mold to my left hearing aid) zilch discrimination.  Appreciate greatly having directional information even when I understand nothing on my left. My audiologist has determined that I am a candidate for a CI in my left ear.

Your question about about whether different/disparate sounds from a CI ear and a better "aided" ear could engender difficulty prompted helpful dialogue from forum members.

Thanks again.

Hello Chris - welcome to the Hearpeers. :)

Regarding your question - there were some worry how different hearng input affect to the recipient`s brain but results of further researches are favourable in the direction of bi-modal hearing rehabilitation because CI`s until now were little bit deficient within the decoding of lower frequency range but this is changing. Newest mapping succeeded to make progress regarding the data processing of electrical signal but also longer array found useful for rehabilitating the farthest part of cochlea which are responsible for decoding lower frequencies due to the concept of the cochlear tonotopicity:

http://www.cidpusa.org/I10-85-cochlea2.jpg

Best regards...:)

• HearPeers Heroes

Please do we are excited to hear how things are going for you. Please keep asking questions were glad to help in anyway we can. If we don't know we will find out!! Good luck!!

Nothing can stop us!  :D  :D  :D