Single sided deaf with a cochlear implant MAPping experiences

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

For those who have typical hearing in one ear and a CI on the other ear, what have been your MAPping experiences with your audiologist?

What helps you get the best MAP?

@Kylie

@Jared Charney

@Prof Mo

@RRG

I have had my 1 week and my 1 month.  from what I can determine my audiologist just adjusted my volume levels.  as far as mapping not much was adjusted from the initial settings.  My audiologist at SunnyBrook is very experienced.  I think more will be done at the 3 month based on my feedback.   so far, I have been doing lots of rehab and i see lots of improvement.  classic music is still very difficult but the 80's sound pretty good.  I did not hear high frequency for 30 years in my special ear so a bit of an adjustment.  I find that when I listen to youtube bird chirping videos (high frequency sounds) for awhile and then listen to music or speech it becomes sharper and clearer. 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Prof Mo so great that you are off to a terrific start!

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know how the process might differ if I was bilateral. But I get asked a lot about my subjective experiences in and if there is anything I have difficulty with. Then do some testing in the sound booth with my regular ear blocked.

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I went to the audiologist I think I should email her and ask if there can be any improvements to the quality of sound from mapping or if I have plateaued etc.

Hi, I was activated end of December and my 3rd mapping is on June 21. Testing by the audiologist shows +80 % word recognition in an optimal environment (clear speech and no background noise).

Streaming directly to the device is clearer vs open listening with both ears. While speech recognition has improved, everything still sounds tinny, robotic and very low fidelity. I can best describe the sound like a blown speaker. The good ear is doing the heavy lifting and is compensating for the sound of the CI.  In addition to at home rehab, I recently started aural rehab at Duke hospital.

I seem to be progressing well and pleased with what the CI had given me back. I realize it will never sound close to natural hearing and hopeful the fidelity and clarity will improve. 

I'll discuss with the audiologist again the ASM settings on my Rondo 3 and see if we can take the edge off some sounds, like clanking dishes. Wind noise was set to max at the last mapping but I still use the water cover to further reduce wind nose.

I do have to actively listen, which results in hearing fatigue. This too is slowly improving.

Thank you Mary Beth and all members for sharing their experiences and advice. This is quite a journey!

I'll post an update after my next mapping.

• HearPeers Heroes

@RRG

Wishing you the best at your next MAPping.  Clanking dishes should be able to be dampened with transient noise reduction set on high.  Let us know if that works for you.

Hi rrg, i too only had inceased volume at second mapping, third is when audi installed her update and gave me 3 maps with asm3/AI.