Research study at ASU

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Very interesting Adam,

From my point I can add that professionals in audiology are taught from presently newest book that subjectively CI bilateral implantees function better but objectively they can't show it on hearing tests.

So - this is really REALLY amazing. I am very curious what are other implantee's results regarding above mentioned facts from the books. This really changes perspective because lot of professionals oversimplify subject.

So - Adam the Rabbit! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, it sounds like a very intense study and that the research you were involved with will benefit us all. You've given me much to think of before my next appointment with my audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, it was pretty intense and I was exhausted at the end of each day. That being said, I loved it. Had a great time and learned a few things along the way.the satisfaction of doing a small part in possibly making a difference for future recipients was very satisfying in itself. Can't wait for the next one

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds awesome Adam. Exhausting but awesome! I can't wait to have two mics activated. I think the timing is going to be pretty lucky for me as my new CI has stablized now so I will be able to explore the different mic settings easier. There will also be windblock features to learn about as well.

Ivana, I believe one of the differences between unilateral and bilateral CI listening is that bilateral is a richer sound and less tiring. That would be hard to measure in an objective way but is significant to the user. I also believe the security net of having two functioning ears can not be dismissed. Psychologically, it is a big relief knowing that we can function fine if one CI has a problem while that problem is being addressed.

• HearPeers Heroes

[quote name="Mary Beth" post="8897" timestamp="1455546067

Ivana, I believe one of the differences between unilateral and bilateral CI listening is that bilateral is a richer sound and less tiring. That would be hard to measure in an objective way but is significant to the user. I also believe the security net of having two functioning ears can not be dismissed. Psychologically, it is a big relief knowing that we can function fine if one CI has a problem while that problem is being addressed.

Exactly Mary Beth - this fact is value of listening implantees of hearing devices and I quoted the context of these researches: what science knows for sure and where are blank spot what should be fulfilled.

If you have subjective opinion of better hearing but objectively you don't see the difference either more testings should be conducted or science needs more tests.

This is what caught my eye to stay here and observe individual opinion. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Have you read Ball's autobiography, Mary Beth?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Yes I just finished it. Wow what an interesting life. He is a very intelligent man. I was struck by the compassion that Dr. Inge showed when she gathered up her MedEl team and flew to California immediately after the desperate phone call. It's nice to know that your CI company is led by such intelligence and heart.

About three months after I received my first CI, MedEl published an issue of their Explore magazine which featured the founding team at MedEl. I wrote a letter to each of them expressing my gratefulness for their work and described how my new CI was impacting my life. At Christmastime I received an email from one of the engineers who I wrote to in June. It's so nice to be associated with a company that is comprised of such passionate, caring people.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I have passed it on to others. Feel free to pass along other titles when you come across them.

It's so cool that you met him. That must've been quite memorable.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Another advantage to being bilateral is that it makes sound location much easier

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely Adam and that is something you just proved objectively.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Yes I just finished it. Wow what an interesting life. He is a very intelligent man. I was struck by the compassion that Dr. Inge showed when she gathered up her MedEl team and flew to California immediately after the desperate phone call. It's nice to know that your CI company is led by such intelligence and heart.

About three months after I received my first CI, MedEl published an issue of their Explore magazine which featured the founding team at MedEl. I wrote a letter to each of them expressing my gratefulness for their work and described how my new CI was impacting my life. At Christmastime I received an email from one of the engineers who I wrote to in June. It's so nice to be associated with a company that is comprised of such passionate, caring people.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I have passed it on to others. Feel free to pass along other titles when you come across them.

It's so cool that you met him. That must've been quite memorable.

Mary Beth

Yes - I was also so inspired how coincidence but also lot of hard work brought such a valuable invention. Lots of commitment but also a valued lesson that everything can be useful if you know what to do with it.

You catch THE detail ;) I was so amused with his funny story how he met Prof. Erwin and Prof. Inge :D   Also - it was a great vision to understand the potential of his work and invention. It really is great invention - I testify from my perspective because no one actually thought about conductive and moderate types of hearing loss and patients who are not well rehabilitated with HA. 

Oh...! It really was - you can imagine my surprise when Prof. Skarzynsky introduced him by asking him a question about the FMT after a block of lectures where my mentor and I held one lecture. :D

That night I even met Prof. Inge.... :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Another advantage to being bilateral is that it makes sound location much easier

Definitely.

For a  CI user is little bit different but I, as a BB implantee, can't orientate myself at all what I could with HA. This means that interaural difference is smaller so if I wish a real sense of orientation I need second unit. 

• HearPeers Heroes

That's exciting. I would love to meet Prof. Inge and thank her in person!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sound location is what I look forward to. And balanced sound. It can be very frustrating to not have balanced sound.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's exciting. I would love to meet Prof. Inge and thank her in person!

She was nice and very patient that night - I wonder how she had so much strength to talk with so many people around. Anyway - memory for life. :)

I am sure that she would appreciate it. :)

When she got Lasker reward together with other CI inventors, she took with herself at the scientific TV show a young man who is actually first bilaterally implanted kid before many years. One vision more realized ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes she has been the first for many things! I wonder what's next? Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just wishing right now that the FDA speeds up a bit. The study was great but it was also like dangling a carrot in front of me then yanking it away

• HearPeers Heroes

That being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah another person said the same thing after he finished the study.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara

I don't think you can pick and choose who you want in the study. I fit the criteria for the study being bilateral and have Sonnets. They definitely did not make it easy on me by any stretch of the imagination.

After a few of the single ear testing, it was obvious I do better with 2 implants. I think there will be a total of 13 or so to participate. They should have accurate data for the project. I fit the criteria to participate so my guess is, my results won't be excluded

I understand that participants cannot decide on study design. I hope your great results will be included. I asked that to get some hint about the type of that research which can shed some light on how long it can take to get the second mic approved by FDA if, of course, that research was meant to support Med El's request for approval. I believe I got some guess from the number of participants you mentioned. Sounds that FDA will get everything it needs for making its decision pretty soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

The FDA has a history of being very slow in making a decision to approve. We have no way of knowing when this will be. I did get a pretty intense taste of what it will be like. Now I just have to be patient with the rest of the U.S.