Success with WaterWear during eye surgery

Joan

I am a bilateral Rondo 2 user and recently underwent two separate cataract surgeries. I wanted to wear my processors during the surgeries in order to hear all instructions. Having been forewarned about the use of water during the surgeries, I protected my processors by putting each in a WaterWear cover and then, to keep them in place, covered them with a headband. I was pleased that with the WaterWear covers and headband in place everything still sounded completely normal.
During my first surgery, excessive water was not an issue and my processors and hair remained completely dry. So, of course, I expected the same with my second surgery but, nonetheless, took the same precautions. Was I ever glad I did! Same surgeon but a different team of assistants…and so much water! After the second surgery, my headband and the back of my head were soaked…but the WaterWear covers kept my Rondos completely dry. 
Three cheers for WaterWear…it really works!!!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I also wore Rondos in waterwear during my cataract surgeries all under a nammucap.  Worked great!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I had cornea surgery last month on both eyes.  The day after tomorrow I have a follow up appointment to discuss upcoming cataract surgeries.  Please explain the usage of water during the cataract surgeries, and any questions that I should ask during the appointment.  I wear two Sonnet 2s.  Thanks very much.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Wishing you the very best on your cataract surgeries.

I don’t know the exact nature of the use of liquid or water during cataract surgery but I do know that people have reported getting wet.  I actually did not experience being wet.  After reading people’s reports of getting wet, I decided I would put my Rondos in waterwear and under a nammucap so they were dry and secure.  It worked perfectly.

@Lynda  as I noted earlier, I had two very different experiences two weeks apart. While I don’t know exactly what the water in my eye was used for, I know it was used in both surgeries. Given my different experiences, I would strongly recommend using WaterWear as a precaution. In my opinion, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

• Like 2

Thanks @Joan.  I just got back from my appointment.  Surgeon suggests also removing processor from the side side that is being operated on (remove left processor when left eye is done, right processor when right eye is done - two separate surgeries). 

@Lynda that sounds like a workable solution. During the surgery when I got so wet, it was only on that side of my head.  Good you’ve discussed this with your surgeon ahead of time. Best of luck!

I am scheduled for a Pentacam Excimer (corneal topography) and an A-Scan (ultrasound biometry) in preparation for my cataract surgeries.  However, my Med El rep says I should not have any ultrasound above the neck (no ultrasound anywhere on the head).  Has anyone had these tests?  Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

This is the information I was given when I asked about medical procedures …. Plus the info on MRI guidelines

DBF142DC-F029-4CFA-9146-15BD299BBD65.jpeg

Hi @Mary BethI was given that as well but in an email she also stated the following

Ultrasound

-ultrasound applications cannot be performed near the area of the implant

-ultrasound applications can be performed without restrictions outside of the head area

-please remove your CI externals during the procedure

So now I'm wondering if anyone has had an ultrasound on the head (especially the eyes).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

I do not think I had either of those tests prior to my cataract surgery.  

Hmm now I wonder if these are to check that the corneas are stable enough to proceed with the cataract surgeries.  Did you have some kind of test to measure for the lenses that they inserted during the cataract surgery?

@Lynda all my measurements were done by the surgeon during my pre-op in her office. No tests or scans though.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

They did the measurements at my pre op appt.  I do not know what the machine/test was called.

@Joan  @Mary Beth  Thanks Ladies.  I am really hoping that my Med El rep (who I like and respect immensely) was just advising me with an abundance of caution (and maybe covering Med El's you know what LOL).

I'm going to try and follow-up further with the rep, my audiologist, and the surgeon.  I'll let you know if I'm able to get any more info. 

• Like 2

My wonderful rep checked with the engineers at MED-EL Headquarters in Innsbruck, and it looks like both tests are safe.

no direct interference with the CI is expected.  However, when close to medical/ electronic devices interference between the processor and power units cannot be excluded. This is why it is recommended to remove the processor while the procedures are being administered.

My rep had previously advised me that processors should be removed for mammograms.  I've never removed mine, and the other CI recipients that I spoke to don't remove theirs either.  Guess I'll be more careful in the future.

• Like 2

@Lynda I’ve never removed mine for a mammogram (or CAT scan) either. Only test I’ve removed them for is MRI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing that @Lynda

Wishing you the best during your eye surgery.

• Like 2