magnet socket has broken

Juan Pablo

The magnet is held by turning and has an edge of just a few mm of plastic.

This edge has broken after 1 year and 2 months.

My theory is that it has broken due to the same force that the magnet exerts when removing the implant from our heads, it exerts a force contrary to ours and the plastic edge is what resists those forces, it finally broke.

I think it's a manufacturing defect, so I took it to MedEl today and they told me they're going to check it out.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?magnet socket has broken

5 hours ago, Juan Pablo said:

The magnet is held by turning and has an edge of just a few mm of plastic.

This edge has broken after 1 year and 2 months.

My theory is that it has broken due to the same force that the magnet exerts when removing the implant from our heads, it exerts a force contrary to ours and the plastic edge is what resists those forces, it finally broke.

I think it's a manufacturing defect, so I took it to MedEl today and they told me they're going to check it out.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?magnet socket has broken

I've had mine for a month. Today the magnet won't stay in. 

I can see the "lock" and "unlock" position on the back but I don't think I'm applying the right pressure while trying to get the dang thing to turn. The tabs look to be OK (I think so anyway since they are very, very tiny). Dr used some sort of tool to change out the magnet but, of course, the starter kit does not come with the tool so you can do it on your own. No o-ring on the Samba that I'm aware of. 

I'm happy to take it back to the Doc but I'm rural - Dr is 2.5 hours away and I'm supposed to be leaving on a trip tomorrow ...to a music festival! Crap!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Biz

Med-El has a 24 hour help line.  Contact them and see if they can help you.

9 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Juan Pablo

Will you post a picture so we can see what you are describing?

I have already sent it to the medel factory, it has been the edge of the plastic where the magnet is retained

• 5 months later...

My rondo 3 has the same problem. I am out of my country for 3 months. Until I get back to Canada, I am just using scotch tape to keep the battery in the unit. The white o ring is definitely there. I think the plastic ridges that normally keep it in place have broken.

21 hours ago, Bonnie1 said:

My rondo 3 has the same problem. I am out of my country for 3 months. Until I get back to Canada, I am just using scotch tape to keep the battery in the unit. The white o ring is definitely there. I think the plastic ridges that normally keep it in place have broken.

Sorry I didn't mean to say battery. The battery is fine. I meant to say I am using tape to keep the magnet in the unit. A MED-EL rep has contacted me and may be able to help.

• Like 2