Michael

Michael 66

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dead ear

I used to refer to my right ear as my dead ear because after a surgery to treat Ménière’s in that ear, it heard no sound at all for 24 years before being implanted.  It started understanding speech a few hours after activation.  It was amazing!  I found aural rehab to help a lot.  It is an amazing stand alone ear- phone calls, music, audiobooks, etc.

I now have bilateral CIs so I will tag some SSD CI users who can better reply to your question.  Wishing you the best.

@Kylie

@Jared Charney

Thank you Mary Beth, I am devastated after losing my left ear through a surgery and would like to commit to a MED-EL long flexible electrodes CI. I’m hoping that I can eventually get both normal and CI ears to sound very similar with practice but I’m worried about the quality of sound from the CI ear 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dead ear

The loss of hearing in one ear is quite shocking.  Thankfully now CIs are approved for exactly that.

Here is a link to a video where I describe hearing in my long standing dead ear after 24 years.  I wish many wonderful WOW moments for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dead ear

It can get very close! I'm 3.5 years post surgery for SSD and my CI ear sounds great. Not exactly the same, it never will, but amazingly good. I can use the phone etc if I want to on the CI.

Both ears together are near perfect, I often forget I had any hearing loss at all until I take it off at nighttime.

• Like 3

@Dead earI had a sudden hearing loss about six years ago, 2 years ago I was implanted and it's quite hard to articulate still but w/the aural rehabbing and the combination of hearing w/the good ear my life is pretty well back to normal. Sounds combined w/the good ear plus the CI make most everything sound normal/natural. Last night we had 24 relatives over for the first night of Hanukah and for the most part I could hear any conversation I was engaged in. Tonight we went to my son's orchestra concert and again it sounds full/ stereo/natural. I agree with @Kylie "both ears together are near perfect." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1