Hearing in large noisy groups

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

As we celebrate the holidays with our family, I am reminded of how so much has changed.

There is a deep loneliness when you are surrounded by loved ones but unable to hear and participate in the conversations.  That was me prior to getting my first CI.  So frustrated no matter how helpful our family members tried to be.

Then I received my first and second CI.  I was doing great in quiet and in small groups and even for short periods in noise but I was not ready for a full week of large family groups without becoming so exhausted.  @Joan reassured me that next year would be so much easier.  And she was right!

As my listening skills in noise increased, I found that a full week of large family groups became so much easier.  

If you are surrounded by large groups of loved ones this week and find yourself becoming tired or struggling to follow the conversations, hang in there.  With time and aural rehab, listening can become easier.

Currently sitting and reading on my laptop, because I can't hear at all. CI is scheduled early next year. I hope, my next Christmas will be much different than this one.

• HearPeers Heroes

@dnagy

Wishing you the best on your CI journey.  It really is life changing tech.

Which processor did you choose?

@Mary Beth Didn't even choose a brand yet. My clinic offered all 3 brands, but my insurance only covers a single processor, so I have to choose either one of the Rondo or the Sonnet. However, currently they only have AB and Cochlear, and not Med-el, which they may receive in February or maybe in March. I've already set up my mind that I want the longest electrode possible, however I know that Medel has some drawbacks in terms of connectivity. I read a lot of good reviews about the N8 which just came out. Idk, how to choose...

• HearPeers Heroes

@dnagy

Choosing brands was difficult for me too.  In the end I chose Med-El for their electrode arrays.  The internal components have the largest impact on how things sound.

Connectivity options change so frequently.  The Sonnet with its AudioStream battery cover allows us to stream all audio from our phones and tablets directly to our processors.

Wishing you the best!

On 12/24/2022 at 7:06 AM, Mary Beth said:

As we celebrate the holidays with our family, I am reminded of how so much has changed.

There is a deep loneliness when you are surrounded by loved ones but unable to hear and participate in the conversations.  That was me prior to getting my first CI.  So frustrated no matter how helpful our family members tried to be.

Then I received my first and second CI.  I was doing great in quiet and in small groups and even for short periods in noise but I was not ready for a full week of large family groups without becoming so exhausted.  @Joan reassured me that next year would be so much easier.  And she was right!

As my listening skills in noise increased, I found that a full week of large family groups became so much easier.  

If you are surrounded by large groups of loved ones this week and find yourself becoming tired or struggling to follow the conversations, hang in there.  With time and aural rehab, listening can become easier.

This was my first holiday bilateral. Thanksgiving was rough as it was a large group. My work’s holiday party was 5x bigger than Thanksgiving and that was far too hard. Christmas was smaller and easier. Hoping next year will be even better. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 9:47 PM, dnagy said:

Currently sitting and reading on my laptop, because I can't hear at all. CI is scheduled early next year. I hope, my next Christmas will be much different than this one.

Few more months @dnagy I am sure next Christmas will be much better.