Battery life getting worse

Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a Sonnet 1 and in the last few weeks have experienced very poor battery life.  I use disposables (the good quality Power One implant ones).  I have had to source them from various places as they can be hard to find in Australia and often out of stock.  I used to get a guaranteed 2 days out of each round of batteries, with a couple of hours to spare.  Now I am getting 1 1/2 days or even (like yesterday) not even 1 day!!!  This has been happening in the past few weeks only.

My question is - is the most likely explanation a bad batch of batteries?  Or is there anything else I should troubleshoot?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

- a bad batch of batteries (or batteries that haven’t been stored in the correct temperature range)

- a battery cover that is slightly loose on the Sonnet in the area that pushes against the batteries (if you have a spare battery cover try that)

- battery contacts that need to be cleaned with a swab and alcohol

- a stretched or torn tiny ring at the bottom of the Sonnet control unit 

- ensure each battery pack says IMPLANT and check expiration dates

My Power One Implant batteries consistently last for a bit over 2 sixteen hour listening days.  (But I stream with telecoil through Artone and not AudioStream which makes a power difference)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks. I'll do some experimenting with those!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I hope you find a fix.  Keep us posted.

I clean the disposable battery contacts when I change my mic covers which is every 2-3 months.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

another thought…..  I always let the Power One Implant batteries rest after removing the sticker for several minutes before putting them in the Sonnets

@Kylie @Mary Beth

Everything Mary Beth specified, plus:

I replace the microphone covers every two months and using alcohol with cotton swabs, clean the Sonnet battery frame compartment contacts, battery frame left side Sonnet mating pins, and back and top side battery frame contacts, in addition to the interior battery compartment contacts.

I inspect the coil cover to confirm it is properly seated, and the coil wire and its strain reliefs are not damaged.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

another thought…..  I always let the Power One Implant batteries rest after removing the sticker for several minutes before putting them in the Sonnets

What does that do? Was it recommended by someone?

@Kylie

The cleaning and inspections are standard electronic device preventive maintenance procedures to mitigate possible adverse effects caused by wear and tear, oxidation, dust, moisture, etc.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

These zinc air batteries need air to activate.  That’s why they are covered with that sticker.  They have tiny holes that allow air inside and it brings the battery to full strength.  For me, I peel them off.., go take a shower and when I return they are good to go.  If I have to change them at a different time, I let them sit for several minutes before using them the first time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Huh I never knew this! Will do the same from now on.

• HearPeers Heroes

I checked the batteries are well within their expiry date.

I didn't have a spare battery cover to check the fit, but I do have an audiostream. So I put that on yesterday with fresh batteries, but didn't connect it to Bluetooth so that wouldn't chew up extra battery time. So far it's still going at 9pm on day 2. So that seems like good evidence for needing a new battery cover to fix my problem!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good problem solving @Kylie!

I find those Sonnet battery covers need to be replaced from time to time in order for the battery connections to stay tight and work correctly.  I always have a spare one because I never know when the problem will begin.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@David

Definitely!

I have spare Sonnet parts for…

1) standard battery cover

2) disposable battery pack

3) DL- coil cable

4) small rubber ring seal

5) mic cover

I find the Sonnet series processors require more upkeep than my OPUS2 processors did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

This is funny considering this thread. When I opened my new battery order, this message was included!!

PXL_20230405_033901965.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

I did find some power one implant batteries on Amazon from an American seller. They seem legit fortunately!

• Like 2

I buy my implantone batteries on amazon, here in the us. I live in the country and no stores carry them, even in the big city!  The batteries are good. I have not, however, gotten a box that wasnt crunched!!