Dizzy after implant

Walter

Hi. Just got cochlear in February and hooked up in March. Had 3 severe dizzy episodes since. Last one just wearing off. Any advice? Been doing PT, taking steroids, meclizine. Just got CT scan that shows implant electrode 'tip flipped' but surgeon not sure that would be cause. Really don't want that 'revision' surgery?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am sorry to hear this Walter.  Has your audiologist tried to change your map?  Are your episodes sudden onset or a general feeling of dizziness?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Walter. Sorry that you have that dizzy episodes. Do they happen only when your processor is on? My audiologist turned off both electrodes 12 after we figured out that they give me dizziness on very moderate level of loudness. I got them turned on back after that effect disappeared. Now we are very careful with loudness setting for that electrodes during mapping. We don't go even close to the point I get some physical sensation while we establish an upper threshold of comfortable hearing for high friequensis. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Walter,

Can you explain what flip tip means?

On 5/7/2017 at 6:05 AM, Walter said:

Hi. Just got cochlear in February and hooked up in March. Had 3 severe dizzy episodes since. Last one just wearing off. Any advice? Been doing PT, taking steroids, meclizine. Just got CT scan that shows implant electrode 'tip flipped' but surgeon not sure that would be cause. Really don't want that 'revision' surgery?

Hi Walter, thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers community and I'm sorry to hear about your dizzy episodes. Are you a MED-EL cochlear implant recipient? Kind regards, Leigh 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Walter,

Sounds like tip fold-over where you have overlapping electrodes. Turning off one or both of the electrodes may solve your problem.

If the electrode array was not fully inserted into the scala tympani it may be partly in the scala vestibule which could account for your dizziness too.

• HearPeers Heroes

I suffer dizzy since CI. These appear when move head in a particular side. 

These appear with certain positions of the head. My audiologo told me that these dizziness should disappear with time. At this moment It had been slightly reduced but not at all. In my next appointment i will talk about it. Depends on how turn the head sometimes it seems that i fall to the ground.

18 hours ago, Valentin said:

I suffer dizzy since CI. These appear when move head in a particular side. 

These appear with certain positions of the head. My audiologo told me that these dizziness should disappear with time. At this moment It had been slightly reduced but not at all. In my next appointment i will talk about it. Depends on how turn the head sometimes it seems that i fall to the ground.

Hi Valentin, thank you for sharing your experience. I strongly recommend staying in close contact with your medical professional and hearing professional about the dizziness that you're experiencing. I hope it reduces for you soon - let me know if you need any additional support in the meantime. Kind regards, Leigh 

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.  I feel more confident talking with my doctor and audiologist now, loaded with info.  The dizziness comes in waves, strong one day, then tapering off over 2-3 days.  Then comes back.  3 times in about 6 weeks.  I'm a Cochlear recipient. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Walter,

Good luck. Glad we could help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck Walter!!