Spreadsheet for program information

Tim

• Members

I made a little spreadsheet for my own use to list out the program options that I currently have and thoughts for future programs.

It might be useful for a few people that like to dig deep into the weeds so I thought that I would share. 

The google sheet can be "copied" to your own google account or you can download it to your computer as an Excel spreadsheet from the link or from this message. 

Huge thanks to @Mary Beth @Lauren and others here for explaining things along the way.  If you have corrections or suggestions for enhancements, please let me know. 

I put it under the Rehab thread forum because it is something that helps remind me of the program slots that I have and organize my information for upcoming MAP appointments. If nothing else, it is helpful to think about. 

Stuff on the left is just for information.  Stuff on the right is for editing.  (The shared google link at the top of the might continue to be updated from the version that is associated with this hearpeers post.)

image.thumb.png.676e79297b067a6712c3fa663c63dc4c.png

CI Programs-Shared (4).xlsx

Thanks @Tim ! Your earlier post made me realize how little I know about my programming. Next appointment I’ll get into the nuts and bolts of it and this will help me track changes and better identify what I do/don’t like. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I am not sure what you are aiming for in some of those program designs but I love that we have options so we can find settings that work best for each of us.  Wishing you the best at your appt @Tim

42 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

I am not sure what you are aiming for in some of those program designs but I love that we have options so we can find settings that work best for each of us.  Wishing you the best at your appt @Tim

Yes I agree 💯💯💯💯

I can be a little bit confused at first until u get the handle of it

On 7/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Mary Beth said:

• Members

@Mary Beth   Ignore the current that is really just a place holder.  I was/still am tweaking the entries before tomorrow's MAP session.  Also, what I had entered suffered from some cut and paste-itis from another sheet.  The result is that I agree - it didn't really make sense.  🙂

My thought is the first three programs are the same for both processors.  (Have to keep it simple enough to remember.) 

I can then differentiate program slot 4 for the processors for different situations.

Slot 1-AI Mild:  for both for normal every day.  I've been pretty happy with this as a default. 

Slot 2-AI Strong:  for both for harsh conditions (conference, loud restaurant, etc.)  I switched into it for a couple of loud restaurant situations and I think it will be very helpful for the week long conference that I'm running in Mexico next week along with three more I'm planning on attending in October.

Slot 3-Omni:  Give omni microphone a try on both given the positive experiences people have had with that.

Slot 4-Sonnet2-Tailor it to stream only (100-0 mix), set microphone sensitivity to zero so it is one that I can easily jump to when I just want to do straight streaming.

Slot 4-Rondo3-Try the Adaptive program program.  (Don't need the 100-mix given how easy it is to change on the Audiolink that I use for Rondo streaming).  People in hearpeers talked about the benefits of adaptive mic without a lot of extra processing and it seems good to give it a try.

Made a few tweaks to adjust volumes.

Maybe my Audi will suggest or steer me in other directions but this might help.

image.png.d02f03b2b7bd6026d3eaf5c6a3118a42.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

that makes sense.  You in case this is helpful… there are 2 different types of adaptive mic settings .  One stays in adaptive mic setting always.  I call that always adaptive and this is the one I recommend trying in loud places.

The other one is auto adaptive and it stays in a form of omni (but this does sound different that a true omni mic setting for me) and switches into adaptive at a certain decibel level.  I tried this and did not like it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh and another thought…. Be sure to test out the Omni mic setting program while you are there to be sure things are not too loud.  @Tim

Good luck at your appt and let us know after you try your new programs in your real life.

and remember it is always a good idea to keep your present MAP in a slot in case you do not like your new programs 

• Members

Thanks!  Yes, I forgot about the "Adaptive" vs. the "Auto-Adaptive" distinction.  Just like you said yesterday, Med-El loves to reuse names on things. 

I remembered to adjust down the volume but forgot to put down a reminder on the paper to test Omni for loudness before leaving.  

My thought is "Omni" could work well when using the Sonnet 2 under the headphones so the processor doesn't try to figure out spacial cues where are none.  (My Sonnet #3 program)

Maybe I should try switching my Sonnet #4 program to be Adaptive to give a little more variety - wouldn't make a difference when "Default Sensitivity" is kept at 0%. 

It does help me try to organizing my thinking and feel better going into a MAP.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

I am not sure how always adaptive would work well with a default sensitivity of zero.  In my experience, it is aggressive in focusing on speech and even reaches out further than you would expect to grab the speech in quiet .

• Members

I thought "default sensitivity" for microphone meant that it is off and getting 100% stream.

I could then use Audiokey2 to raise the microphone when I actually wanted to use "Adaptive."

Of course I might be misunderstanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

When my microphone sensitivity is set to zero percent, I still hear from the mic.

On 5/10/2023 at 2:27 AM, Tim said:

The May 2023 Google Meet that Mary Beth hosted was great.  One of the discussion topics was people's favorite rehab resources. 

I collected the list of rehab resources and then added a little more information.  Here are the resources that people mentioned  that I was able to get listed (sorry if I missed anything.)  Most of these items are discussed in separate threads and warrant their own discussions but I thought it might be nice to see them listed alongside each other.

Services Availability Site Comments
Hearoes iOS & Android https://www.games4hearoes.com/ Free. Wide variety of exercises and frequently updated & enhanced.
WordSuccess iOS & Android https://www.advancedbionics.com/us/en/portals/consumer-portal/resources/apps.html#WordSuccess Made by AB but free to use for all
AngelSounds Windows app angelsound.tigerspeech.com/ Free. Rich but a little dated in programming
Libby iOS, Android, computer browser libbyapp.com/ Free with many public library memberships
Amazon Prime Reading iOS, Android, computer browser www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/bookshelf/prime Available for most Prime subscribers
Live Captioning Built into Android, iOS, Windows?, MacOS?   Decently accurate for audiobooks and podcasts
Using headphones     Tuck Sonnet 2 under/inside headphone for streaming, adjust left/right balance
Using earplug for good ear Helpful for SSD people   Helpful for SSD - Plug good ear, can then walk around and mostly rely on the CI
Using earmuffs Inexpensive construction earmuffs   Helpful for SSD - Covers both ears, can then walk around and mostly rely on the unobstructed Rondo.
Librivox Free audiobooks Librivox.org Free. Public domain books read and recorded by volunteers
Audible Subscription audiobooks ($15/month) www.audible.com/ Huge selection of books
Meludia Subscription, free for Med-El Users in some non-US locations www.meludia.com/en/med-el/ Rich and comprehensive music education system, also useful for CI
BendMyEar Android only sourceforge.net/projects/bendmyear/ Some of the AngelSound content, main benefit is it can be used without active internet connection
Telephone with Confidence Provided by Cochlear but available to all www.cochlear.com/us/en/home/ongoing-care-and-support/rehabilitation-resources/resources-for-adults/telephone-with-confidence  
Text to speech services Provided in OS and apps for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows   Quality and experience varies by platform

HI Tim 

Can you add 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/getanearful/

Android only. 

• Members

@pdk Sure.  I just copied my spreadsheet of rehab resources to that same shared Google Sheet workbook, just click on the "Rehab Resources" worksheet.  Your bendmyear is now there. 

By the way, I continue to use the app several times a week!  Thanks for making that available for everyone (or at least all Android users.)  I like that I can just jump in and try a few sentences or keep going at it for a while.  The changing voice for each sentence seems to be very good practice.

• Members
19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

When my microphone sensitivity is set to zero percent, I still hear from the mic.

@Mary Beth Interesting.  Med-El seems to have a different definition of zero percent than most people.  I asked my Audiologist today what the 0% means in practice and she was uncertain too.  She said that she would reach out to her Med-El contact and get back to me. 

I would love to get a clear definition of how the program "Default Sensitivity" range of 0% to 100% (default of 75%) is actually used and how it interacts with the "AudioKey2" Sensitivity setting.  The help file in Audiokey2 is not helpful on this subject.

2 hours ago, Tim said:

@pdk Sure.  I just copied my spreadsheet of rehab resources to that same shared Google Sheet workbook, just click on the "Rehab Resources" worksheet.  Your bendmyear is now there. 

By the way, I continue to use the app several times a week!  Thanks for making that available for everyone (or at least all Android users.)  I like that I can just jump in and try a few sentences or keep going at it for a while.  The changing voice for each sentence seems to be very good practice.

Bendmyear also has the same  sentence module with original sentences. I made a PDF summary of bendmyear if anyone is interested.