Single sided deaf: one typical hearing ear and one CI MAPping considerations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Lately I have been in several conversations about program settings for single sided deaf CI users.  These users have one typical hearing ear and one CI ear.

It seems that it is easier to get a balance between the ears when many of the front end features are turned off.  Features like adaptive intelligence OFF, wind block OFF, ambient noise reduction OFF, transient noise reduction OFF.

And then using a microphone directionality of omni.

They were discussing how the acoustic hearing ear does not have those sound reductions so keeping those sound reductions off creates a better balance between the ears.

What are your experiences?

@Jared Charney

@Kylie

@Tim

• Members

I haven't done much testing on this but anecdotally, I feel like I prefer using the standard mild adaptive intelligence as my "daily driver" program.  Bumping up to AI Strong when I'm doing loud travel, high wind, loud restaurants, etc. 

These are my current programs on my Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3. 

I haven't found a benefit to Omni or Adaptive specific settings for me. I'm not sure about my good ear not having those "front-end features".  For example, my good ear is not bothered nearly as much by wind or transients as the raw CI programs.  I would have thought that the ear pinna's shape and protection by hair for example help with giving natural/analog versions of wind noise reduction, transiet noise reduction, and microphone directionality.  It seems like I have a better match by enabling these front-end processing on the CI. 

Again, I can't say that I've really tested it rigorously so I might change my mind later but it feels like I find the most benefit from getting help from the filtered sound of my everyday AI Mild.  My good ear does a good job of filtering and focusing based on where my head is pointed. 

By the way, programs 3 and 4 are more for testing, direct streaming and trying to ignore other sounds or placing the Sonnet 2 under headphones. 

image.png.a9fbcfb2f78b4ede1721399888d255d7.pngI

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

To be honest I'm not sure about all my settings. They have been the same for so long that I can't remember. But I have a sonnet 1 so I don't have the exact same options. I don't think I have any adaptive things. I'm not sure about the reduction options but I will ask next time I get reviewed!

I'm with @Kylie I'm no even sure my settings and it's been about a year since I saw the audiologist but maybe I should try these out , thx @Mary Beth and @Tim !

• Like 2

• Members

Yes, as an SSD, I tend to be a "set and forget" for my program.  Usually in Program 1 (AI Mild).  I think of my CI as a helper for my good ear and this seems to be the one that doesn't get in the way during normal life.

I know others have had good success and preference for other microphones or settings. 

By the way, I ask my Audiologist for a printout or email of my programming after the session so I can know exactly what it is.  Too many things going on during the MAP sessions to try to write it all down.  I also come in with a printout of my spreadsheet above so we can talk about settings.  My Audi seems to enjoy our meetings and likes to be able to talk tech with a patient.