Connect AudioStream to macOS with Sonoma 14.0

Sahib

Today (10/13/2023), I updated my MacBook software to Sonoma 14.0 software. Now, I see an option for hearing devices in "accessibility" that work with MFi hearing devices like the Sonnet 2 processors. The problem I am experiencing is that AudioKey 2 is not up to date with this new development. Currently, I believe that the AudioKey 2 app is only compatible with IOS; I want to find out if we can get this adjusted. Can anyone help me out? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I see AudioStream listed on the Apple site as a compatible hearing device.

Does your MacBook have the correct kind of chip for this feature?  Here is a link to info on the chip 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-hearing-devices-with-your-mac-mchle83953a5/mac

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Thanks for pointing out the lack of asterisk next to AudioStream.  I had missed that.

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

I see AudioStream listed on the Apple site as a compatible hearing device.

Does your MacBook have the correct kind of chip for this feature?  Here is a link to info on the chip 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-hearing-devices-with-your-mac-mchle83953a5/mac

I have the M2 Chip.

4 hours ago, John F said:

It's not compatible.  Only the devices with asterisks are able to connect to Sonoma as it (AudioStream) does not support Bidirectional streaming.  Nothing MedEl can do about it as this is all on Apple.   https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210386

I was able to set up the audio stream to the Audio Key 2 app on the Mac. I connected the left and right processors as normal, but then it said the configuration failed. 

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.35.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.35.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.36.02 AM.png

Of course.  Anybody can get that far and to the point it shows up in the Accessibility menu albeit super buggy...  But the code for Apples Accessibility is not there.  It is simply not supported.  Have tried countless times during the betas.  Apple confirmed Bidirectional streaming is required.  Theres no rhyme or reasons for this that anybody’s deciphered.  Until they change things to allow all MFi hearing devices to work like on their iOS and iPadOS then not much can be done. 

Basically, Apple let a lot of the HoH/Deaf community down by claiming one thing then suddenly adding an extra extra requirement.  It’s sucky but that’s how it is for now until Apple adds support for non-Bidirectional hearing devices or MedEl one ups this whole thing next year.  One will happen sooner than the other.

Btw.  It is still not supported for 14.1 throughout this beta either.  I keep holding out hope for Apple to come through but given their history of incompleteness within their OS (poor Metal), then I’m not holding my breath.  :)

7 minutes ago, John F said:

Of course.  Anybody can get that far and to the point it shows up in the Accessibility menu albeit super buggy...  But the code for Apples Accessibility is not there.  It is simply not supported.  Have tried countless times during the betas.  Apple confirmed Bidirectional streaming is required.  Until they change things to allow all MFi hearing devices to work like on their iOS and iPadOS then not much can be done. 

Aww, that sucks; I was looking forward to it since I started using my new processors yesterday. Yesterday, I bought the Artone 3 Max after watching @Mary Beth YouTube video. I'm hoping that it will allow me to do Bluetooth via the Mac or any PC. I am still unsure how the Artone 3 Max works when connecting it to the laptop and then to my Sonnet 2 processors. 

1 minute ago, Sahib said:

Aww, that sucks; I was looking forward to it since I started using my new processors yesterday. Yesterday, I bought the Artone 3 Max after watching @Mary Beth YouTube video. I'm hoping that it will allow me to do Bluetooth via the Mac or any PC. I am still unsure how the Artone 3 Max works when connecting it to the laptop and then to my Sonnet 2 processors. 

Artone will connect yes.  Others can guide you through that as it’s not something I use.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sahib

Artone connects easily like any BT headphone.

The only BT connection will be between the Artone and the computer/phone/etc.

Just put your Sonnets in MT for a 50/50 mix or T for a 100/0 streamed sound only.  Wear the Artone around your neck.

48 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Sahib

Artone connects easily like any BT headphone.

The only BT connection will be between the Artone and the computer/phone/etc.

Just put your Sonnets in MT for a 50/50 mix or T for a 100/0 streamed sound only.  Wear the Artone around your neck.

Do we have to wear the neck loop? Or can it be next to us? For example, on the desk, while I’m working on my laptop. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Distance between the neckloop and the processors impacts volume.  I wear it under my shirt.  @Sahib

On 10/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Sahib

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator for guidance

Hi there, thanks for tagging us. We talked to our product experts and they confirmed that this feature is, unfortunately, not supported by Apple.

Kind regards,

Alicia 

• 3 months later...

@MED-EL Moderator Hi there! I wish to know if the AudioStream team has any plans to explore other devices to connect through Bluetooth such as laptops, etc. It seems that this app was last updated a year ago so I was hoping that it will be updated with some new functionalities. It would be incredibly amazing to have it connected to the laptop for the meetings or music.

@Bri, thank you for your question and feedback. We will share this with the right team here at MED-EL. Regarding future integration, we can't discuss features in development, but we are always working to provide the best hearing solutions for our recipients. 

For a list of devices compatible with AudioStream, please have a look here: https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream?forceCollapse=#compatibility

Kind Regards
Alicia 

Blink once if Bluetooth classic or twice if Bluetooth LE Audio + Auracast is coming 😆.

• Haha 2