Streaming works but no sound otherwise

Hilary Beaumont Brown

Not sure what's up so I'm going to change my cable and cover but my Sonnet will stream just fine but no sound otherwise... I've checked and it's not been changed programs on the remote, it's not muted with the AudioLink or anything. Anyone encountered this before?

Nope. I am bilateral so I've switched back and forth from 50-50 to 100-0 multiple times. Works fine on my other ear. But my Sonnet doesn't get any sound other than when streaming with Audio Link. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

That’s odd for sure.  It’s like that one Sonnet got stuck in 100/0 mix ratio somehow.

The only thing I can think of to try is to unpair that Sonnet from AudioLink and reset the AudioLink so that Sonnet can not connect and see if it returns to using its own mics while you wait for help from your CI team.

Let us know how this gets resolved.

Will do Mary Beth! I've emailed my aud and will report back if we figure it out.

Update- I have tried changing out the cable and no luck. Still can stream on both ears (can also use the mic on the AudioLink to connect to both ears) but if the AudioLink is off my Sonnet has no sound. I've also replaced the battery in my remote and tried everything there I could. No luck. So waiting to hear from my aud now.

Hi @Hilary Beaumont Brown

in this case, your audiologist is best placed to assist you with your device. In the meantime, you could try to go through our troubleshooting support page here: https://www.medel.com/support/product-support/audio-processors/sonnet2/troubleshooting

Kind Regards,

Giulia

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Has your AudioLink team ever heard of this happening?  The Sonnet’s own mics refusing to turn on and only streaming sound through the AudioLink?  Is it an AudioLink or Sonnet or both problem?

On 10/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Has your AudioLink team ever heard of this happening?  The Sonnet’s own mics refusing to turn on and only streaming sound through the AudioLink?  Is it an AudioLink or Sonnet or both problem?

@Mary Beth, thank you for tagging us. We have shared Hilary’s experience with our product experts here at MED-EL so that they are aware. They recommended double-checking if the mic button of the AudioLink is turned on or not. If it is on, only the AudioLink mic will be heard.

However, if the issue persists, @Hilary Beaumont Brown, please get in touch with your local MED-EL team so that they can assist. 

Kind regards, 

Giulia 

Aud agrees it doesn't sound like coil or cable. She said I could come in and we could try troubleshooting together but if not something we can figure out it's either $600 flat fee repair out of warranty or I get a new one. This one is almost 7 but I'd prefer to wait if I can so we will likely go the repair route if we can't solve. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow before paying $600 for a repair  consider forcing that So net not to be connected to the AudioLink- unless the possibility of losing all audio on that Sonnet is too risky.

Maybe if your audiologist removes the programs from that Sonnet and then puts them back on it will reset?

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

On 10/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, Hilary Beaumont Brown said:

Update- I have tried changing out the cable and no luck. Still can stream on both ears (can also use the mic on the AudioLink to connect to both ears) but if the AudioLink is off my Sonnet has no sound. I've also replaced the battery in my remote and tried everything there I could. No luck. So waiting to hear from my aud now.

Sounds like the CI just needs to be re-flashed with factory firmware. Sometimes the program that the CI boots from becomes slightly corrupt and leads to odd behavior such as this. This shouldn't require a $500 warranty fee to fix unless the physical program storage is damaged (veryyyyy unlikely).

Edit: Is mic muted regardless of the AudioLink being on? I can't tell if it's off only when the AudioLink is connected or if it's just off all the time.

Edited by John Schulz

Thanks John. I go in Friday to troubleshoot first where we can do things like try a programming reset I'd imagine. $600 is the flat fee repair out of warranty price at least where I am so if we can't figure it out and have to send it off that's what it will be.

Mic is muted regardless of AudioLink being on. And I even completely disconnected the AudioLink (removing battery). I have to re-pair each of my devices occasionally with the AudioLink and this has remained true of the muted one so it has been disconnected and reconnected. Still streams fine, still no mic though. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s so strange.  I look forward to hearing how this gets resolved @Hilary Beaumont Brown.  I am hoping for a fix at your appt so you can avoid the flat fee for repair.  (The US has a flat fee for repair as well.)

1 hour ago, Hilary Beaumont Brown said:

Thanks John. I go in Friday to troubleshoot first where we can do things like try a programming reset I'd imagine. $600 is the flat fee repair out of warranty price at least where I am so if we can't figure it out and have to send it off that's what it will be.

Mic is muted regardless of AudioLink being on. And I even completely disconnected the AudioLink (removing battery). I have to re-pair each of my devices occasionally with the AudioLink and this has remained true of the muted one so it has been disconnected and reconnected. Still streams fine, still no mic though. 

OK then it's most certainly something on the processor. A factory reset/flash (not just changing programs) should fix this but it may indeed be a hardware fault. Best wishes for Friday!

So ultimately it was not as easy as a software fix. 😕 Dead mic. So they sent me to the local office that stocks the devices and I paid the flat fee and swapped it out. (20min drive vs waiting for the mail) Works like a charm again and under warranty for 6 months.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced a dead mic? 

• 2 weeks later...