Fridge Magnets

russboltz

I go under the knife on Wednesday. At my conference last week with my audiologist, she made sure I understood the mechanics of all the CI, including the magnet. She gave me sort of a stunned look when I asked, "If I'm not wearing the processor, can I wear a refrigerator magnet?" We have an assortment of them,  including a cow and a magnetized church key (also known to the beerless as a "bottle opener").  I can't be the first to think of this as a fashion statement for when I'm not wearing the processor. What do others use?

rusty

• HearPeers Heroes

Russ congratulations!!

you are correct, with the metal. I walked in to my wife and told her to check this out and threw a few paper clips onto the side of my head and the stuck.

The other liittle trick that is sure to get you noticed is to put a post it note on the side of your head and use a bottle cap to hold it in place. At least you wont ever forget the grocery list now.

Does the bottle cap work as well as the processor? Or do you just hear beer commercials?

• HearPeers Heroes

Almost as well but there is that annoying fizz that ya have to get used to.

Stop it!

I did a lot of situps today and you're making me laugh too hard!

I also wondered if this is going to be like licking a metal flagpole in the winter used to be like. Can I attach myself to things?

rusty

• HearPeers Heroes

I do the fridge magnet thing as a bit of a party trick - it helps if you have a shaved head like me.

I have had the coil get stuck to an electricity meter box when I stood too close, haven't got it stuck on the car as yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

I was working out and got a Kettle bell too close to my head and the same thing happened. never dull. it livened up the class though.

• 2 years later...

I can't get anything other than my rondo to stick to my implant but loads stick to the processor... I blogged about this but will tell it short...

A HA battery stuck to the underside of my processor (I could NOT find the thing!) and I just placed it on my head.

Late in the day I had a shooting pain at the site of the implant... big DENT! I was freaking out as thought it was all rejecting or something.

Then I turned the processor over in my hand only to see the battery, which fitted the dent exactly of course! hahaha.

I also read about a bloke at the hospital in the waiting room... gets called up for his appointment but when he sits down his rondo is gone! All of a sudden! It was found hanging on the lamp standard behind his seat in the waiting room hahaha

• HearPeers Heroes

That is pretty funny. I have to say that I have never heard of that before. :D :D

• HearPeers Heroes

:D  :D

My BB recently made me quite a hilarious show: during driving it felt of my head and crawled below car seat where are steel rails so seats can be moved nearer or further of wheel. I had to visit my mechanic because I could not extracted below the rails....

Not funny in that situation however...:(

• HearPeers Heroes

I was working out and got a Kettle bell too close to my head and the same thing happened. never dull. it livened up the class though.

Before I re read this Adam, I was wondering just why anyone would want to listen to a boiling kettle? EEK!  :o Then I thought... no, kettles whistle they don't have bells.  :wacko:

• HearPeers Heroes

My processor stuck to the cookie cooling rack when I was getting pots out of the cupboard. Also the washing machine.

• HearPeers Heroes

Laurence

That's pretty funny. A kettle bell is a round piece of steel with a steel handle. You use it for various exercises. Got just a wee bit too close to my coil

• HearPeers Heroes

I have had them stick to metal chairs, door frames, you name it

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, boys, you scared me :D Sounds I am going to have a lot of fun soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, it's no biggie. If anything, everybody gets a good laugh out of it

• HearPeers Heroes

Absolutely, Adam, just hope there is no way to lose the processor with the coil.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Although we all have our funny CI stories about things that happen with our magnets, 99.9% of the time everything stays put. Smile. I have never had the Opus2 or Sonnet BTE processors fall off. Once in awhile the D-coil magnet attached to them has been knocked off during a hug, etc but then it just dangles like a low earring since it is attached to the BTE processor.

I had a learning curve with the Rondo, all-in-one processor. It hit the floor a few times before I learned to ALWAYS remove it before taking a T-shirt off! One time I knocked it off in the car by bumping my head against the headrest. I have worn the Rondo many, many times now and it stays securely in place. I do have a sports headband from MedEl to use with the Rondos when I am very active. I just bought an ear gear with cord to secure the Rondo too. I am going on a river rafting trip in Alaska this summer and I will put the Rondos in water wear covers, then in the ear gear with cord and securely clip them to my shirt. That way if for some reason they get knocked off, they will still be attached to me.

I am exploring how I will secure the Rondos in the ocean since they sink like rocks, which is not a problem in pools since you can swim down and get them. I tested out one swim cap that allows water through it this summer but it was not comfortable on my earlobes. People mentioned the Nammucaps and I have ordered one to test out. I would like to wear the Rondo in the ocean but only if I can find a way to be 100% sure that I will not lose it. Right now my idea is to put the Rondo in water wear covers, then in the ear gear with cord, then under the Nammucap and clip the cord to my swimsuit. Hearing while being in the ocean would be cool but I do not want to lose my Rondos. I am being super, extra cautious.

I am fluent in American Sign Language so I can converse while in the ocean even if I leave my Rondos safely ashore. But I would like to experience the sound of the waves as I ride them on my boogie board.

Sorry this was such a long response. I really just wanted to reassure you that your processors will be safe and sound and you will not have a constant worry about their safety. In fact, you will just forget that they are even there. At some point in your journey, you will wake up, put on your processor, and just hear. It's an amazing experience and one that I hope I never take for granted.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Or put it in the Sportsband? :) After Waterwear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, boys, you scared me :D Sounds I am going to have a lot of fun soon.

For me it was just once - but it was major alarm then!  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I could do that but the sportsband could get knocked off in serious waves.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah I could do that but the sportsband could get knocked off in serious waves.

Mmm... Really? My headband sits pretty closely at my head...?  :huh: