Translation Feature in CIs

Sakin

Dear CI users,

do CI users need to learn a foreign language? I think there is no need for this! Medel can save us from this burden. We know that some hearing aids that can translate are in use today. Medel can offer this to us with an update or upgrade. In this way, it can even put us one step ahead of those who can normally hear!

How about a CI that can translate into many languages? We are looking forward to this kind of update or upgrade from Medel.

@MED-EL Moderator

• HearPeers Heroes

What a fascinating idea. How does this work in hearing aids where it exists?

55 minutes ago, Kylie said:

What a fascinating idea. How does this work in hearing aids where it exists?

@Kylie it would not be appropriate to give the hearing aid brand here. At a conference I attended, a hearing aid that could translate into 27 languages was introduced. If you search on the internet, you will find enough information about this. I don't know how it does the translation since I only use CI. Maybe it could be a connection similar to the “audiostream” .

On 1/31/2024 at 9:43 PM, Sakin said:

Dear CI users,

do CI users need to learn a foreign language? I think there is no need for this! Medel can save us from this burden. We know that some hearing aids that can translate are in use today. Medel can offer this to us with an update or upgrade. In this way, it can even put us one step ahead of those who can normally hear!

How about a CI that can translate into many languages? We are looking forward to this kind of update or upgrade from Medel.

@MED-EL Moderator

Hi there @Sakin, thank you for sharing your ideas regarding a CI that can translate into many languages. We will share this with the responsible team here at MED-EL. 

Kind Regards,
Alicia 

LE Audio should make this possible (as long as bidirectional streaming is implemented) with the processing done on a phone or laptop. Sometimes it makes more sense to offload processing to an external device/service than on the device given how constrained CI hardware is.  @MED-EL Moderator, if this feature isn't already planned, users should be given the option to control Bluetooth mixing and source priority. Mixing is processor mic vs Bluetooth, similar to the existing telecoil mixing, and should ideally be adjustable as a percent instead of three options. Source priority would allow the mic to override Bluetooth above a noise threshold and vise versa. It'd be like how Google Maps directions will play over music (the music is momentarily turned down to ~10%) when using Android Auto. Users should be allowed to control the noise threshold for source priority to engage. This would make things like translation better and is arguably an important safety feature.

@John Schulz, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We will forward this to the right team at MED-EL HQ as we want to provide the best hearing solutions possible and are happy to receive feedback from our users which assists in the development of future products. 

Best regards, 
Alicia