New Audiokey 2 update (version 2.0.8)

Tim

• Members

Just saw that Audiokey 2 had a minor update made available on the Android Play Store.  Assuming also coming or already out on Apple App Store.

Here's the information from the app store.

Version 2.0.8,

Updated on January 17, 2024 (but available February 1st!)

What's New:  Several minor improvements and bug fixes

Would love to hear if anyone notices anything fixed or improved.  If so, please post here.  I prefer more specific changelogs!  

This is the only information given in the iOS App Store. IMG_8952.thumb.jpeg.1e80ac0cd78f098ac5007dcd5ea70a58.jpeg

IMG_8953.thumb.jpeg.6bb3f81a86718eeee09e5688f1edd980.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Any new firmware update for AudioStream in the revised AudioKey2 app yet?

@Tim @Lauren

@Mary Beth I can’t tell. When I look in connectivity and go into AudioStream -> update it just shows a message on the screen that it can take several minutes but there’s no prompt/popup or anything saying there’s an update needed. 

@Mary Beth I’m almost positive that’s how it always appears. When I got my second kit I wasn’t sure if the new AudioStream had the last firmware update so went through the process just in case. The current message doesn’t seem any different than in the past. 

Last time Med-El did announce the firmware update and so far today I haven’t seen any similar announcement. 

• Members

I'm not seeing any changes so far. 

Busy day at work and only using my Rondo 3, will see if anything is visible like firmware on my Sonnet 2/Audiostream tonight.

By the way, sometimes the rollout for updates on Android and Apple app stores can be staggered over multiple days so don't worry if you are not seeing the update available just yet.

• Members

Last night and today I tried letting the Audiokey 2 app check for my Audiostream for update.  I got three different responses. (In Audiokey 2, go to pull down in the top left corner, select "Connectivity Options",  then select "AudioStream".   Then "Update".  On the next screen, "Next" button.

Tells me

No MED-EL streaming device

Restart the MED-EL streaming device (e.g. Audiostream) place it close to the smartphone, and try again.  Ensure the streaming device is not connected to any smartphone and location services are turned on.

Perhaps this was due to wearing it on my ear and thereby not being close enough to the phone. 

Removed battery to restart the streaming device. Took it off the ear and placed the Sonnet 2 with Audiostream right on top of the phone screen.

Pressed Try Again button.

Received an error message:

Update failed

Restart the MED-EL streaming device, place it close to the smartphone and try again.

Did the same thing, gave it 30 seconds to restart. Pressed the Try again button.

Now it gave me a message

Success

Your MEL-El streaming device is up to date.  Do you want to update another MED-EL streaming device.

I'm not sure if this means that it was updated in the process or if it was already up to date.  It doesn't give me any clear firmware versions. 

My audiostream was replaced around 6 months ago under warranty.

------------------

Still don't see anything new in the Audiokey 2 app 24 hours later.  Could also be updated text in the manual. 

@Tim I can never complete configuration or anything if my Sonnet 2s aren’t laying on a flat surface next to my phone and my phone is connected to WiFi. I had to reconnect both as my right one stopped streaming. With no information I did the update just in case. 

It’s very finicky and I had to restart my right processor a few times. My left one went through no problem. 

Specific to bilateral users: while you can configure both in one go and follow prompts to turn on/off, you cannot do this in the update process. You must turn one off, update one processor first and repeat from the beginning for the second processor. I don’t know how common firmware updates are but the last one was almost two years ago (?) so it’s easy to forget. 

• Members

The only thing that I noticed as a difference after doing the Audiokey 2 update and possibly updating the Audiostream from the app is that my Med-El Audiostream as a BT device in Android adds the acronym DFU at the end. 

DFU in Bluetooth devices seems to indicate "Device Firmware Update". 

A couple of questions:

• Does it do the same for Apple users?
  • Has anyone else noticed anything? 
  • Anyone have any other theories about what DFU might mean?

image.thumb.png.4f2c95c515f445a57e8ebcb09055cb1c.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Does this new version of AudioKey2 offer a firmware update to AudioStream?

Hi @Mary Beth,

thanks for your question. 

In this case, the update only concerns the AudioKey 2 app. If a firmware update for AudioStream is available, we will send a separate notification over AudioKey 2. There might be one coming soon actually. 

On the support page it's also possible to check whether a new firmware has been released: https://www.medel.com/support/product-support/accessories/audiostream/audiostream_firmware_whentoupdate

Best Regards,

Giulia

@Tim

i don’t see the same DFU that you do. I did lose Bluetooth connection but not streaming so couldn’t use AudioKey2. I had to configure again. Now I have one Hearing Device showing in Bluetooth and two Sonnet 2s showing as well. 

And ironically lost streaming, but got back the AudioKey2 connection. 🤷‍♀️ Additionally getting icky feedback type thing in just the right AudioStream. 

Never mind. Mention something isn’t working and it shall immediately fix itself. 

This is new - my left processor is indeed giving a low battery warning and see this in the app now. IMG_9127.thumb.jpeg.2c267e95c94ac6f5785057e12c59913e.jpeg

• Members

@Lauren Interesting-modest new feature but good.  I tried checking the same screen to see if I could see something similar but I guess my Sonnet 2 has a good charge still like your right-side. I'll try to remember to check later this afternoon when it is running low.  Too bad it doesn't seem to use a phone alert to let you know the battery is running low before the chimes of low battery (that only seems to give me a couple of minutes to get new batteries.)

Here's a strange thing. my Med-El Audiostream BT device name no longer lists the DFU and looks perfectly normal again.  Glad that I had the screen capture from before or I would wonder if I was imagining things.

@Tim this feature might be more helpful to parents/guardians or other caretakers, at least as it works right now. 

I don’t exactly need to log in to check what the beep-beep-beep means. It seems to show up in the app when the processor is actively giving low battery warnings including the red blinking light and not any type of more advanced warning. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

This is new - my left processor is indeed giving a low battery warning and see this in the app now. IMG_9127.thumb.jpeg.2c267e95c94ac6f5785057e12c59913e.jpeg

This has been in the app for a while... at least on Android. I would really like to see a percentage instead. Hopefully, Med-El will implement a standardized Bluetooth profile that allows the OS to provide us the battery life in future products... https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/specs/battery-service/. Right, @MED-EL Moderator??? (I know you can''t say whether it will or not and that you'll pass it along to the product experts; I'm just having fun with pointing out that there are great solutions to presently missing features and quality.).

• Like 1

@John Schulz ah makes sense. I am a dedicated iPhone user and it’s never been there before that I recall at least. Could be wrong as my first thought on getting a low battery warning is NOT “gosh I better check the app first”. 

I did ask Med-El US about it once way back. The explanation I got was the battery isn’t integrated like the Rondo 3 so that’s why I can track the battery status of the Rondo 3 and not Sonnet 2. 

It is sooo handy with Rondo 3 and 🤞 that somehow the feature can be implemented with the next BTE processor. 

This is the version I had at activation.  The main fix I would like to see is for AK2 to recognize the active processor automatically like other BT devices, instead of requiring me to go through several screens to switch if different than the last one.  I use R3 and S2 interchangeably during the day and it is annoying this app doesn't recognize the active one automatically.  If both are active, then ask which do I want to use.