Programs question

Deanne

I am curious where the programs exist…are they in the processor or in the implant? I have a sonnet 2 and rondo 3, sounds are very clear in the sonnet after my mapping. Not anywhere near as good when using my rondo.  

implanted and activated in January, first mapping in February.  Things are great, words heard at activation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

The programs are on your processor. But each processor works a bit differently in terms of how it receives sound and then processes it to send to your brain.

I only have a sonnet but maybe someone who has both types can comment further on whether this experience is common.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanne

Did your audiologist download your new programs into your Rondo 3 at your appt?

The mic placement is different between those two processors but they should sound mostly similar if they have the same programs.

Good morning…I believe they did download the programs, it was a training session and I had 2 audiologists with me that day. I hadn’t realized that something was a bit different until my rondo ran out of power yesterday and I needed a switch mid-day. Well, maybe I did..I was thinking it was a bit more difficult to hear when I went from the sonnet to the rondo, but didn’t think much of it since there was a gap between that switch.  The rondo running out of power is another thing I have to figure out. I am not sure if it was a bad charge or the programs draining the battery. I didn’t check that I was 100% when the day started, I just knew the light was off.

it just got me to thinking about where the program was stored and wanted to know everything about these wonderful additions to my life.  

thank you both. I will confirm with my audiologists and double check my battery.

is there any place I can go to find out more about how all of this works, I am going thru all the training, but that seems to skim the surface….

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanne

The Rondo 3 is known to sometimes not fully charge if it slightly shifts off center on the charger.  Lots of discussion about it here in the Rondo 3 folder.  Solutions include using a rubber band or hair band, printing a 3D piece that keeps it in position (2 options discussed in that topic with links), charging using the USB cable that plugs into its port (purchased from Med-El).

If you list things you wish to learn about, I may be able to link you to that info.

• Members

@Deanne I have the same processors you do and was implanted/activated one year earlier.  (January 2023).

I'm still learning and patience is key.  Early on, the programs are not so critical as they are providing a signal to your perhaps long-dormant ear (or auditory nerve). 

Each processor can have 4 distinct "programs" that could be different MAPs or different settings (microphones, filtering, etc.)  I worked with my audiologist along with information from Med-El's site and Hearpeers to arrive at some programs that make sense for me.  I give them easy to remember/descriptive names and switch between them in Audiokey 2. 

Keeping track of the info can be data overload at a MAP session. 

I tend to be guilty of going into the details.  I come in with a plan for the programs as a spreadsheet printout.  My audiologist makes comments or suggestions but then I only need to scribble down a few notes or changes instead of trying to capture everything.

Glad to read in your other posts that you are doing so well! 

@Mary Beth right now, I want to learn everything. I have been looking up terms and figuring out things as I go. There is so much to learn.  I have to say, I am amazed with what you know. Your background explains so much. I am new to the world of hard of hearing since my loss started in 2015. I never expected the path my hearing has taken and am thrilled that technology is here for all of us.

@TimI do appreciate the details. It really helps. I am looking forward to understanding more so I can get the best programs for me. I just don’t know what to ask for … yet.

thank you both!

@Kyliethank you. I just tried again, switching the processors while having the same sounds and program. Seems to be the same. I suspect there was something else going on yesterday..maybe I was on different programs when I switched or maybe I wasn’t paying attention and the battery being low caused something else to happen.

I am learning as I go…

If you use AudioKey2, it helps to refresh audio processor data after each appointment. I was trying to switch between programs and couldn’t or it didn’t sound right. I ended up having to reach out to Med-El who walked me through the steps. Since then I do that after every appointment that my processors have changes made. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanne

At the early stage after activation, I encourage users to learn about their processors…. the names of each part of the processor, learn about the various accessories (Med-El brand items and third party items) that we can use for streaming, water usage, tethering, decorating, etc.  And to focus all of their energy on training their brains- aural rehab, keeping notes to share with their audiologists.

There is no way to rush this process and it varies for each user.  But time put into listening activities can help move us forward.

After a stable program/MAP is reached (which typically takes a few months), then experimenting with various front end features like mic directionality settings etc becomes easier.  The same stable MAP can be saved onto the processor in various mic directionality & front end features and we can experiment with those settings in our real lives (because they really can not be tested at an appt).  Then we find our preferences.  You can find lots of info on these mic settings etc here in the forum.

Feel free to ask specific questions, and we will do our best to respond.

Enjoy your journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

This topic may help

• HearPeers Heroes

And this may help with rehab ideas