AudioStream adapter for Rondo 3 FAQ

Mary Beth

• Members

Great.  I see it is on Med-El's English International site. Really looking forward to it becoming available soon in the US.

Very interesting items.

Some questions I don't see asked or answered:

• Does it still have the "ticking" sound of the telecoil adapter? (Presumably no ticking, otherwise it wouldn't be worth bothering to release.  Looking forward to hearing experiences from our European HP members since they are likely to get it long before we do.)
  • Does it have to be removed for charging?  (Rumors are that it is recommended to be removed, perhaps to prevent moisture buildup or the heat of charging causing stresses.  On the other hand, leaving it connected might be better in terms of wear and tear to not be taking it on on and off every day.  I can see a case for either.)
  • Is there any extra fuctionality beyond what the Audiostream for Sonnet 2 provides?  (Ex. larger number of phones being paired, stronger BT signal, updated BT version, etc.)
  • Is it compatible with Auracast?  (Likely not but I can dream!)
  • Will there be a Rondo 3 firmware update?  (Lots of discussion about the Audiostream for R3's firmware but it doesn't sound like one is needed for this to work.)
  • Is there an ability to turn off the microphone when streaming?  (Presumably no again because if it did, they would feature the news knowing how many people want this basic functionality.)
  • What is the price?  (Expect it is likely $395 or so in the US.)
  • When will it be available in different countries?  (I know in the US, they probably won't say anything until FDA approval.)
  • What is the warranty?  (Likely same as other accessories, in the US, 2 years?)

@MED-EL Moderator Are you able to shed some light on @Tim questions?  Reps in the US are unable to answer so that’s a non option.  I agree the write up leaves a lot of unanswered questions people are actually looking for info on.

I'm jn Australia and my Audio said he's got the Med-El rep coming in two weeks for "training" so he's going to get some info out of them about it all then.  But this is what the local Med-El rep told me earlier:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your enquiry about our new BlueTooth adapter; AudioStream for RONDO 3.

We are excited about this new product and are pleased to say that it will be available in Australia as soon as it passes through a regulatory process. We expect this to take one to two months.

Pricing has not yet been finalised however we expect it to be similar to the AudioStream for SONNET 2 which retails for $375

For reference, AUD$375 is about USD$250 as a direct conversion.

We get everything last down here...

...except sunrises. We get them 2nd 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:29 PM, Tim said:

Great.  I see it is on Med-El's English International site. Really looking forward to it becoming available soon in the US.

Very interesting items.

Some questions I don't see asked or answered:

• Does it still have the "ticking" sound of the telecoil adapter? (Presumably no ticking, otherwise it wouldn't be worth bothering to release.  Looking forward to hearing experiences from our European HP members since they are likely to get it long before we do.)
  • Does it have to be removed for charging?  (Rumors are that it is recommended to be removed, perhaps to prevent moisture buildup or the heat of charging causing stresses.  On the other hand, leaving it connected might be better in terms of wear and tear to not be taking it on on and off every day.  I can see a case for either.)
  • Is there any extra fuctionality beyond what the Audiostream for Sonnet 2 provides?  (Ex. larger number of phones being paired, stronger BT signal, updated BT version, etc.)
  • Is it compatible with Auracast?  (Likely not but I can dream!)
  • Will there be a Rondo 3 firmware update?  (Lots of discussion about the Audiostream for R3's firmware but it doesn't sound like one is needed for this to work.)
  • Is there an ability to turn off the microphone when streaming?  (Presumably no again because if it did, they would feature the news knowing how many people want this basic functionality.)
  • What is the price?  (Expect it is likely $395 or so in the US.)
  • When will it be available in different countries?  (I know in the US, they probably won't say anything until FDA approval.)
  • What is the warranty?  (Likely same as other accessories, in the US, 2 years?)

Hi there. @John F, thank you for tagging us in regards to @Tim's questions, and thank you for your patience while we checked in with our product experts at MED-EL HQ. 

• Does it still have the "ticking" sound of the telecoil adapter? No, it doesn't have the ticking. 
  • Does it have to be removed for charging? You can charge the RONDO 3 while the AudioStream Adapter is attached.
  • Is there any extra functionality beyond what the Audiostream for Sonnet 2 provides? The features of the AudioStream Adapter for RONDO 3 are the same as those of SONNET 2. However, with the AudioStream Adapter for RONDO 3, your clinician can arrange different mixing ratios for the stream and microphone in MAESTRO. 
  • Is it compatible with Auracast? The AudioStream Adapter for RONDO 3 is not compatible with Auracast. Similar to the cover, it uses ASHA and MFI protocols. 
  • Will there be a Rondo 3 firmware update? There is no firmware update for RONDO 3.  
  • Is there an ability to turn off the microphone when streaming? As mentioned above, you and your clinician can work to have different mixing ratios for the mix mode, or you can hear the stream based on what setting has been set on MAESTRO. 
  • What is the price? When will it be available in different countries? We recommend checking in with your local MED-EL team regarding product availability and pricing, as they will have the most up-to-date information for your country. 
  • What is the warranty? We recommend checking in with your local MED-EL team for warranty information, as this varies from country to country. 

Kind Regards 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

We learned that when the AudioStream adapter is attached to the Rondo 3 in mixed input mode-  even while not streaming- the Rondo 3 mics will be dampened (attenuated) based on the mixing ratio.  When using the default 50/50 mix ratio, how much of a dampening happens?  And more importantly what amount of a MCL volume boost is needed in our program so that our Rondo 3 still sounds just as clear and loud as when the adapter is not attached?

I would want my Rondo 3 to sound great when the adapter is attached but no streaming is happening.  Knowing how to offset this dampening would be very helpful.

Thank you @Mary Beth for sharing more about the available input mode settings for the upcoming Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter: Microphone only (no streaming), Mix ratio options (50/50 default w/other options), and Direct Audio Input (100/0) for streaming via adapter only. I'm getting excited about the adapter now that more information is slowly becoming available. Hoping it lives up to the current hype.

As someone who would prefer leaving the adapter plugged in 24/7 especially given that the Rondo 3 can be charged with it on, I'd have my audiologist set up something like the following (based on information currently available and my personal preferences):

Program 1: Microphone only (no dampening, no streaming)

Program 2: Mix ratio (50/50) with an MCL volume boost to counteract dampening

Program 3: Mix ratio (50/50) no adjustment for dampening

Program 4: Direct Audio Input (100/0) for streaming only.

Hopefully by the time the adapter is released in the US I'll also have decided which of my MAPs would work best for P1-P3, though I already have a working idea. 

I like the idea of 3 programs for the audiostream. I'd still want my fourth program to be my heavy noise program.

Hi!

Today I got my Audiostream adapters for Rondo 3 (I'm a bimodal user). I live in Sweden,  so I don't have much knowledge of e.g. US-specific conditions. 

Anyway, a few first impressions:

My first pairing with the Audiokey2 app was unsuccesful, but after a few attempts it succeded (did the process over again, fairly good guidance from the app).

Sound quality is superior to the Audiolink (which I have loved in spite of it's shortcomings, I know many don't like it). There are none of the Audiolink bad sides, listening to music connection is kept even when I'm in another room.

Haven't used the phone too much yet, but to me there seems to be no need to change mixing between microphones and the Audiostream output - you can e.g. lower microphone volume in the Audiokey2 app and increase the output from your phone an get whatever mix you prefer.

And yes, the Audiokey2 app can be used to switch programs or change volume, that was not possible wit Audiolink.

There is no interference as with the telecoil adapters (that really is a General shortcoming with the telecoil technology, nothing to blame Medel for.

Well, that's about it, I'm happy as a lark, tonight I'll see if battery life has been much affected, to some degree I suspekt, hopefully not much more than with Audiolink.

Attaching a pictures of what's included in the pack

1) My Rondo 3

2) The Audiostream (about same size as the telecoil adapter

3) A protective clip-on to avoid losing the adapter (pretty smart)

20240411_153431.jpg

• Members

Thanks for sharing the picture and your experience so quickly!  I'm sure in the US we will be left eagerly waiting for a while. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with battery life.  I anticipate just leaving it on all day, every day and would be disappointed if it doesn't give me the current "all-day" battery life.

Unrelated but I fully agree about the clothes clip!  It has never left my Rondo 3 since getting it in January 2023.  It saved me many times!

This is the first time I've heard about a redesigned clothes clip for the R3 Audiostream. That looks to be really good and glad that it was included rather than YAAB (Yet Another Accessory to Buy.)

The clothes clip looks to be redesigned in more than the plastic shell.  My old clothes clip had a plastic clip, stretchy cord, and a much bigger plastic shell.  I'm attaching a picture of my old one it here just to provide a contrast to what it looks like for the new one.

Some questions about the new clothes clip:

• How long is the cord?  My old one is about 8 or 9 inches long (~21 cm).
  • Is the cord stretchy? 
  • If you used the old clothes clip, is the new one as good in every day use?
  • Does it seem like it gives some unofficial but useful water protection? 

PXL_20240411_155641965.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tomas

wonderful!  I look forward to hearing your experiences- especially with battery life.

I find the sound quality of AudioStream for Sonnets far superior to AudioLink as well.

Are you using a compatible HA and android phone so you can stream to both your HA and Rondo 3 simultaneously?

I like that clip which prevents the AudioStream adapter from possibly getting lost.

Hi @Tim and @Mary Beth

I use an Android (a fairly new Samsung) and have dual Rondo3:s, so no simultaneous HA, although that shouldn't be much of a problem according to the documentation.

The clip is similar to the one Tim uses, but half as high and look more sleek,  and transparent. The cord is 9 cm (conversion to inches beats me) and stretchy.  It should be possible to use that other cord instead. With my Rondos I got both that clip and another that fits the small slots in the bottom. Until now I've used the latter clipped to my hair.  But from now on it'll be the new clip.

A year ago I lost one processor during some wildlife escapades (impossible to find), so I got some Cochlear clips instead, more reliable than the thin from Medel. (see my not-so-good picture)

20240411_181830.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

@Tomas The 9 cm length of the cord feels short (~3.5 inches for the fellow Americans) but looking forward to giving it a try. 

I also like the rigging of clips from other sources. 

My wife and I assembled this one for my Sonnet 2 Audiostream.  I bought a hearing aid clip set (2 cords and a variety of sized soft wraps for the hearing aids) and a pack of sewing clips.  Drilled a hole in the clip.  Attached a cord and have a good Sonnet 2 clothes clip, parts for a second, and a lot of spare parts.  All for $13.98 from Amazon at the time but the price has gone down since then. 

Used a little super glue to help make knots extra tight.  Broke one clip after a year of use.  Replaced it from my inventory of spare parts and have 28 clips left.  At this pace it might last me until the year 2052.

Maybe I should post this instead in the Sonnet 2 forum. 

I like the part of the case holding the Audiostream from falling off.  Hoping that it doesn't in effect route any moisture down towards the unit. In any case, I'll be ordering one as soon as I can.

PXL_20240411_165207567.jpg

@Tim great improvements there.  And for water resistance, I haven't a clue but for an occasional rainy day or sweat after a long run I pretty sure there won't be a problem. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tomas

What impact on battery life does the Rondo 3 audiostream adapter have for you?

@Mary Beth, so far there is no big difference compared to when I'm using the Audiolink. I've had the Audiostream plugged in constantly and streamed a lot of music, almost 2 hrs/day. On my left side I get ~15 hrs, that is more ore less the same as before - it can differ up to 2 hrs between good and bad days. On my right side I haven't run out of battery yet, so + 18 hrs (there seems to be a couple of hours left when I go to bed).

A side remark: The Rondo3 with low capacity is one of the first I believe. I had an even worse on the right side. I complained, but Medel said that could be due to my implants... A year ago I lost the right one and got myself a new, the new one with some 8-10 hrs better battery life, it seems to me as if the first Rondo3 batteriess were inferior but now are more up to what is needed.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Very interesting @Tomas

thank you

• Members

@Tomas  There is a thread about Rondo 3 battery life and your observations are interesting that you might have as much as a 4 or 5 hour difference between your two Rondo 3s. 

Thanks for sharing.

It seems there are many factors affecting battery life:

• Magnet strength (perhaps primarily as a proxy for skin thickness, thereby increasing inefficiency of transmitting power from coil to implant.)  Do you have the same magnet strengths on both sides?
  • Electrode array model.  (Too bad there isn't a study comparing the inherent electrical efficiency of different electrode arrays.  I had an expert with a vested interest state that Med-El's array is by design inherently more energy efficient than another brand's.  I wonder if that is affected/overcome  by wall placement. Thanks  @Bob Monsour for the reference on that paper!)  Do you have the same electrode arrays on both sides?
  • # of active electrodes. Are all 12 active on both sides?
  • Amount of DSP work being done by the processor (Omni with TNR, WNR, etc. all off would presumably be best but likely using the same program for your two sides.)
  • Individual programming strength needed on that side.  Ex. most people get better battery life with weak initial activation maps. (I wonder if electrical conductivity/resistivity of cochlear fluid varies by individual or perhaps even between a person's ears.)  Are the MAP thresholds similar on both sides? 
  • Age of the processor (esp. battery) given normal battery degradation over time and usage. It seems like the "newer" processor is the one still getting the lesser battery life because it was replaced.  Perhaps it was sitting on the shelf in Innsbruck.  I wonder if there is a way to age, perhaps from serial numbers.

If all those things are similar, then maybe it is just manufacturing variation in processors or batteries.

Thanks again for being our community's first Rondo 3 Audiostream user and sharing experiences!

Hi @Tim, maybe I should go to the thread on Rondo3 battery life regarding the difference between my original and replaced processor, but I stick to this.

I'm certain there are differences between early and later Rondo3 processors. The one I've had for 2,5 year is serial no. 745 (the one lost had an even lower number). The one received a year ago is serial no. 19299.

" "Do you have the same magnet strengths on both sides?"  Yes. Also I changed from ○○○ strength to ○○ some ten months ago with no apparent difference. 

" Do you have the same electrode arrays on both sides?"  Not certain. The right side is 10 years younger and have the Synchrony implant with rotating magnet. The left side is older and with the implant used around 2011. I wonder if the left have 9 electrodes - all activated - and the right 12 but one disconnected.  Of course there may be differences between my left and right, with differences in mapping and strength, but I use same programs on left/right. But still there is such a huge difference between the new and lost processor. My conclusion is that battery life differ between processors and I assume there has been improvements making newer batteries up to par with what Med-el initially claimed.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:03 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

We learned that when the AudioStream adapter is attached to the Rondo 3 in mixed input mode-  even while not streaming- the Rondo 3 mics will be dampened (attenuated) based on the mixing ratio.  When using the default 50/50 mix ratio, how much of a dampening happens?  And more importantly what amount of a MCL volume boost is needed in our program so that our Rondo 3 still sounds just as clear and loud as when the adapter is not attached?

I would want my Rondo 3 to sound great when the adapter is attached but no streaming is happening.  Knowing how to offset this dampening would be very helpful.

@Mary Beth, Thank you for your patience while we checked in with the responsible team at MED-EL. 

Our product experts don't recommend increasing the MCLs. If you are not streaming and don't want to remove the AudioStream Adapter, your clinician should set up a mic-only program for you to use. 

Kind Regards 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

That seems inconvenient.  As we would not already be connected when phone calls come through.