AudioStream adapter for Rondo 3 questions

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Can our audiologists create a program for Rondo 3 that changes the mix ratio for the AudioStream Adapter to streamed audio only like they can for the telecoil adapter?

Hi @Mary Beth, you can have different mixing ratios for the stream and microphone that can be arranged in MAESTRO by your clinician.  

Kind Regards 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

thank you!  This is wonderful news!  And thank you for replying to my post on FB.

IMG_5875.jpeg

@Mary Beth, we're happy to help and thank you for your patience as we check in with our product experts here at HQ. Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Kind Regards 

This wording is super vague.  While it’s not ideal requiring users to rely on their Audis for this simple basic function all other HA and CI users are able to take advantage of, it should be a straightforward response saying yes the mic can be turned off for a 0/100 mix or no.  If it cannot be then should just be upfront, no?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

In the pic of Med-El’s response on FB posted above it says audiologists can set up a stream only program for the new Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter.  A 100/0 mix.

I was hoping that would be true as it also works that way with the telecoil adapter.  However the telecoil adapter presents the ticking issue.

User control of the mixing ratios while streaming is my wish and I hope to see that in future processors.

At least for now there is a way to enjoy the excellent audio quality and separate left/right music experience with a 100/0 streamed audio only option for Rondo 3 with the AudioStream adapter and programs created by our audiologists.  It is the first time this is available.

• Like 2

I’m also curious if the Sonnets AS will receive an update to also be able to mimic the Eggs AS.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Med-El mentioned a firmware update coming for the Sonnet Audiostream but no details that I have seen yet.

I am doubtful that mixing options would be involved though because the BTE processors have been limited in that respect so far.  But it would be exciting.

The tricky part with making the AudioStream mix adjustable in currently compatible way is that there aren't many good ways to electrically vary resistance. Voltage controlled "resistors" exist but I sense it'd be hard to package into something the size of the AudioStream. I do know that the mix can be controlled by resistance with the pins of the back of the battery adapter. I don't know which pins and I don't recommend tinkering with them.

If this was a resistor (or other hardware issue) then why are the audiologists able to use their software to control the mix ratio? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I learned more about the AudioStream adapter for Rondo 3 today.  Key points…

1) keep a microphone only program in a program slot so that you can have the AudioStream adapter attached to Rondo 3 but not experience any dampening (attenuation) of your Rondo 3 mics

2) if we want a streaming audio option only (100/0) our audiologists can set up a program called direct audio input under the programming software mixed input settings.  This would mute our Rondo 3 mics

3) having the AudioStream adapter attached- even if not streaming nor near our phone- automatically dampens our Rondo 3 mics .  The degree of dampening depends of the mixed input setting programmed by our audiologists.  This is similar to what happens when the Roger 21 integrated battery sleeve is attached to a Sonnet/Sonnet2 and several users found a work around by having their audiologist create a program that boosted volume to offset such dampening (attenuation).  That same solution should be possible with Rondo 3 if desired.

4) options for our audiologists include;

automatic mix is 50/50

direct audio input option gives us 100/0 (streamed audio only)

microphone only allows us to have the AudioStream adapter attached but not have any dampening of our Rondo 3 mics and not stream

other mix ratios include 70/30, 80/20 and 90/10

So as long as we are willing to use several program slots for mixing ratios, we can have options.

Personally…. I would want a microphone only, a direct audio input (100/0), a mix 50/50 and a slot for a different program

• Like 3

Thanks MB! Have you experienced the attenuation caused by the Roger 21 and were you able to just increase the volume on your ap to overcome it?

• HearPeers Heroes

I did experience the attenuation with the Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver and it bothered me.  I would have to have my audiologist create a special program to overcome that dampening if I chose to use Roger 21.  Lots of users have done that and it was an easy fix.

Are the options for Audis available in the current Maestro 9.0 software or just Maestro 10.0?  Unsure if 10.0 has been rolled out yet to clinics and hospitals.

• HearPeers Heroes

Maestro 10 and the HearCare app were FDA approved in November but I do not know when they are being rolled out in the US.  The Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter has not been approved yet in the US to my knowledge.

The only report I have seen so far of the Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter was from an audiologist who set it up for a patient.  

I am sure we will be seeing many more reports from users as the Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter gets released in various countries.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:55 PM, Anthony Canada said:

If this was a resistor (or other hardware issue) then why are the audiologists able to use their software to control the mix ratio? 

The resistance is not electrically controlling the ratio rather the microprocessor/SoC senses what the resistivity is and changes the mixing accordingly. There is no difference between the audiologist's ratio and the resistor controlled ratio since they're both controlled via software. In fact, I think audiologists have the ability to control the ratio for the red or yellow wired cables if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 4:19 AM, Mary Beth said:

The Rondo 3 AudioStream adapter has not been approved yet in the US to my knowledge.

I keep refreshing the US store and was wondering why it wasn’t there. What a bummer we have to wait for it in the US!

14 hours ago, Kilgary said:

I keep refreshing the US store and was wondering why it wasn’t there. What a bummer we have to wait for it in the US!

I know a couple people have been keeping tabs on the fda site so when it shows up there, then it’ll probably become available within a couple of weeks assuming MedEl has rolled out their updated software and app.