AudioStream Firmware Update

John F

There’s now a new update for the AudioStream covers for Sonnets available in the AudioKey2 app.  Firmware info

I’m curious others folks’ experience with this.  I posted to the discord what’s going on after spending a bit trying to get the app to believe me there are AudioStreams next to it…  

Currently does not show up in the Accessibility menu any longer for iPhone 14PM, iOS 14.4.1.  There are now two “DFU” covers in the BT menu saying not connected, so how is it streaming now @Moderators?

Hi, the obligatory linked „when-to-update“ page says the last firmware is from January 2022. Where did you read about an update? Also I can’t seem to find a non expired invite link for the Discord server but would love to help and join the conversation :)

Hi John F, thanks for tagging us.
Yes, there is a new firmware available since yesterday. Here are some further details that will be added to our AudioStream Support Page:

Firmware version
Date of Release

Update Highlights
•    This AudioStream firmware update brings improvements regarding the Bluetooth (re)connection to achieve a more stable connection behaviour.
•    It reduces the click noise at the beginning and the end of streams.
•    It improves one-sided distortion effects with some phones.
•    It adds support for using the AudioStream Cover with the AudioStream Adapter in a bilateral setting

Regarding your last question, we recommend removing the DFU devices from the Bluetooth menu.

Kind regards,
Gordana

• Like 3

Just updated! It seems there is still no option to use Audiostream together with a hearing aid on the second ear? I’m on iOS and the lack of bimodal streaming options is something which really annoys me 😕 

PS: I’ve already tried ASHA - it was definitely not good and I am not going to move to Android for that. 

4 hours ago, Buzz Dee said:

Just updated! It seems there is still no option to use Audiostream together with a hearing aid on the second ear? I’m on iOS and the lack of bimodal streaming options is something which really annoys me 😕 

PS: I’ve already tried ASHA - it was definitely not good and I am not going to move to Android for that. 

Apple does not support Bimodal ability with MedEl since MedEl isn’t partnered with a HA brand.  AB/Phonak, Cochlear/ReSound.  Would advise using an Android device that supports dual BT and ASHA.

And I simply restarted the iPhone.  DFUs do not show, just the actual AudioStream cover names.  I’m pretty certain there’s a visual glitch occurring at this point that’s not showing where the connection is at.  Will be trying a couple other tricks to hopefully fix this.

So my third AudioStream had cracks in it and was barely working. Fortunately, I have replacement coverage through December and just got my replacement in the mail. I immediately updated the firmware and took my dogs out for our .75 mile walk around the neighborhood. I kept my phone in my pocket. Usually, my podcasts would disconnect about 50 feet outside my front door but it stayed streaming the entire walk!  There was one time when it got a little quiet but it never disconnected and there were no annoying clicking noises!  I can even turn my head in BOTH directions while walking outdoors!  This genuinely is a significant improvement. It is working how you would expect it to work. 

Question: I saw that the new AudioStream for the Rondo (which still isn’t available here in the US) can have different program settings through the audiologist software to split with the processor mics 50/50, 90/10 or even 100/0. Does this new firmware enable that same capability on the Sonnet AudioStream?  Would love to have a 50/50 and 100/0 program for this. 

Yes, I received a notification that there was an update. But unfortunately I cannot update. It says, “Move the device closer to the phone and reboot.” I'm doing this but it says try again. So I can't update.

2 hours ago, Sakin said:

Yes, I received a notification that there was an update. But unfortunately I cannot update. It says, “Move the device closer to the phone and reboot.” I'm doing this but it says try again. So I can't update.

Did you “forget” the device first?  Here’s the step-by-step instructions from the Med-El website. Click “Firmware Update” and choose if your phone app is Android or iOS. It did take me a couple times of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cover before the Audio2Ear app decided to update my firmware. 

https://www.medel.com/en-us/support/product-support/accessories/audiostream

Thanks @Kilgary, problem solved, connected successfully. With the new update, it connects more easily and the sounds while connecting are no longer disturbing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

These improvements are very encouraging!  Thanks for sharing!

@Kilgary and @Sakin

I do not believe we have any mixing options on the Sonnet/Sonnet2 AudioStream unfortunately.  Just what we had before by decreasing the processor volume and increasing the phone volume or having a specific program designed to find our sweet spot.  The closest I can get to streaming only (100/0) mix is a program with volume set at 75%, sensitivity set at 0 and increase phone volume near max.  It’s not 100/0 mix but close.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

These improvements are very encouraging!  Thanks for sharing!

@Kilgary and @Sakin

I do not believe we have any mixing options on the Sonnet/Sonnet2 AudioStream unfortunately.  Just what we had before by decreasing the processor volume and increasing the phone volume or having a specific program designed to find our sweet spot.  The closest I can get to streaming only (100/0) mix is a program with volume set at 75%, sensitivity set at 0 and increase phone volume near max.  It’s not 100/0 mix but close.

Bummer. That’s the one major function still missing vs what the AudioLink (and Rondo AudioStream) can do. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kilgary

I agree and I hope user control over mixing ratios and a way for the next BTE processor to use a 100/0 streamed audio only setting are offered in the next processor design.  It’s high on my wish list.  Along with BTLE Audio & AuraCast features.

@Mary Beth looking forward to it!

I wish these features were offered with an update, not a new device, cover or design! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sakin

possibly some of it can be a firmware update.  I don’t know.

But the mixing options seem to be processor specific.  Rondo 3 treats direct audio input for the telecoil adapter and the AudioStream in a similar manner.  The audiologists can create direct audio input only programs, microphone only programs and mixed input programs with various mixing ratios available.  So the fact that mixing ratios with AudioStream adapter and Rondo 3 are available seems to be consistent with the Rondo 3 processor options for audio input.  Not actually something new per se.  Rather an established Rondo 3 feature applied to a new input (AudioStream adapter).  That’s how it seems to me.

Sonnet/Sonnet2 has not had the same options, even with prior battery sleeve receivers like the Roger 21.

So it makes me think we need a processor design change for the BTE processors in order to get more mixing options.

I could be completely wrong.  It’s just the way it seems to me so far.

• Like 2