HearCare app in US

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El US announced the HearCare app is now available in the US.  

When I select GET in the Apple App Store, nothing happens.

• Like 1

• Members

I was able to download it from the Android Play store for my Pixel 6a.  No sign of Audiokey 3 yet.  (Hint:  you can search for all Med-El apps easily, screen share of the search shown below.)

It is working for me. I was able to pair my Rondo 3 that I'm wearing today.  My Sonnet 2 is back home as usual.

Some quick comments:

1. Long user agreements and review.  Not surprising given that it is medical and also dealing with European data privacy.  One item to note is that suggestions are welcomed by Med-El but become the property of Med-El.  That is perhaps a lot of standard practice and necessary to cover themselves since otherwise an update that is in testing might coincidentally be suggested by a user.  This avoids the complex issue of proving that Med-El was already working on it. In any case, I would like to suggest that they automatically or at least offer to email the agreed to, full user agreement to the user. I want that frozen in time so that I can refer back to what was agreed upon. 
  2. Interesting that there is a "System Check" option for both the processor and the implant.  I'm running them right now.  The implant makes some odd noises while it is being done.  Both checked out fine - "No issues found."  Takes about 2 minutes to do both.  I can see how this could be quite reassuring for users that might be having a concern and was not something that we did not have before.
  3. Not sure how "Notifications" will be used.  Right now I have none.  Presumably by the audiologist.

Without a clinic, enabling remote care, I'm not seeing much other in the way of user features other than a system check. 

I'll add it to my CI phone screen but likely to not use it much until the following 3 conditions are met

1. my audiologist gets Maestro 11
  2. I have an in-person appointment
  3. my clinic chooses to enable remote care (as much a business decision as technology)

Here are screen shots from the app.  Covered up rest of name and serial number for my device.

Screenshot_20241016-122300.png

Screenshot_20241016-121827.png

Screenshot_20241016-121707.png

Screenshot_20241016-123013.png

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

It may also be possible for a user to upload their programs via the app, which would then allow users to download those programs on a blank processor if needed or perhaps even have those programs available to other CI centers if needed while traveling.  I don’t believe the ability to upload programs requires our CI centers to enable it but I may be mistaken about that.  I thought it was user controlled.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

this is what I saw which makes me think users can store programs in the cloud via the app

IMG_8110.jpeg

• Members

@Mary Beth Thanks for the headsup about the app being available!

I'm not seeing any way to "upload" or "review" my programs or map from a user side.  I read through the manual and see no mention.  You can check to see if a new configuration is available for download from the clinic but you can't see what the configuration is.  (Presumably configuration is including all map/program settings for the processor.)  It would be nice if they allowed an advanced user view where you could see what the program is.  I know what my P1, P2, P3, P4 slots contain but it would be nice to be able to double check.

• Like 1

• Members

Just did a backup of my configuration.  Doesn't give any information about the the configuration other than when it was done.  Can create screen captures but probably not very helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

it is just so the configuration can be downloaded if needed.  The only way to see exact program settings is from a program configuration report from our audiologists I believe

I was able to pair my left CI, but when I tried to pair my right CI, I received the following message.    Any idea?

IMG_3200.jpeg

I was finally able to get in. No issues running system checks or anything as a bilateral user using an iOS device. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/apps/hearcare-medel

@MED-EL Moderator HearCare app also works with Sonnet 3 correct?

IMG_8108.jpeg

Hi Mary Beth, thank you for your question. We are currently working on making HearCare available for SONNET 3 and will keep you updated on this.

Kind regards