Need information. Please help

Hopefulme

2 years before, I was diagnosed with mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss. I had hearing difficulties since 5 th grade. But it was somehow easily manageable by me and so never went for a audi test. However 2 years back I experienced tinnitus in one of the ear and then I hd to rush to ent and audiologist who confirmed hearing loss. CT scan was done which showed no imperfections. I started wearing hearing aids however not too often since I was okay managing somehow. Last year I saw sudden increase in the tinnitus in the ear and also it had started in the other ear. We again rushed to hospital however no/ minimal change was found int he test results. But every day my tinnitus just keeps on increasing and now it is so loud in both the ears a screaming screeching sound.

Doctors did not want me to go for MRI as they say it is not required since I do not have any other symptoms. Now my question is why the tinnitus becoming so liud day by day (to add to this: i have been depressed and stressed about it all time). 

Also I saw some posts where people say they are not eligible for cochlear implants because of some deformities in the cochlea. Cochlear implant is the only hope i have for the future. What are the symptoms which says i may not be eligible for cochlear implant in future? I am just 27 years old planning to start to masters education and so scared all the time.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome @Hopefulme!

Experiencing progressive hearing loss with tinnitus is difficult.  My hearing loss was progressive beginning at age 13 and I have had tinnitus in both ears for decades.  Hang in there.

For me, I found that accepting the tinnitus helped.  It is a part of me and is always present.  I was able to ignore it most times.  The tinnitus became difficult to ignore if I was ill, overtired or stressed.  

I shared your anxiety about my hearing loss and how it was going to impact my university studies, professional career and life.  I wish I had known about tech and support services while I was at the university because it would’ve made things easier.  Check with your university about any support services they can offer.

Cochlear implants are amazing!  I am hearing better now than I have in many decades and my tinnitus is much quieter.  The only way to find out if you are a candidate for a cochlear implant is to have an evaluation by a CI team.  In the US, that includes appointments with a CI surgeon, testing and appointments with a CI audiologist and imaging (MRI/CT).

I encourage you to make an appt with a CI team and ask them all of your questions.  If possible, meet people who have CIs and talk with them about their experiences too.  Everyone’s journey is unique and fascinating.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish here.  We are a friendly group.  

Wishing you the best.

Thank you mam @Mary Beth.

I am just scared all the time about future. It is just difficult to let go off anxiety with sirens running in my ears all the time.

My doctors did CT and could not find anything wrong. They did not advise me to for MRI. For now I just hope I can receive cochlear implants when I qualify at db level. Your kind words really made me feel better.

Just want to accept tinnitus and hearing loss as part of me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme

Hang in there.  I know it is difficult.

Do you find that you notice your tinnitus less when you wear your hearing aids?  I did.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme

I am not a doctor.  I only know about tinnitus because I have it too.

Here is a link to info about tinnitus from the Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

I encourage you to keep in touch with your doctor about changes in your tinnitus.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hopefulme  I did not have an MRI prior to implantation, just a CT scan.  All they need it to see the anatomy of your inner ear.

Like @Mary Beth my hearing loss has been progressive, pretty much since birth.  I got my first hearing aid at 14 and had permanent tinnitus in both ears from the year I was 15.  It's just there, it's part of me.  Mostly I can ignore it.  It's a very common symptom with sensorineural hearing loss, but if it's getting louder you should definitely bring it up with your doctor.

Good luck with the CIs! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Im new to this forum. My doc recommends ci for one ear in which I became totally deaf last March. My tinnitus is so loud it interferes with hearing people talk, thinking, memory. I'm wondering about the qualities of the sound you hear after ci. Is it very distoted or electronic? Does it get better over time? I afraid of doing something I'll regret later. Any ideas?

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Janet Kierstead said:

Hi, Im new to this forum. My doc recommends ci for one ear in which I became totally deaf last March. My tinnitus is so loud it interferes with hearing people talk, thinking, memory. I'm wondering about the qualities of the sound you hear after ci. Is it very distoted or electronic? Does it get better over time? I afraid of doing something I'll regret later. Any ideas?

Hi @Janet Kierstead - at first it is in fact distorted, because you have to teach your brain to hear via a different type of signal.  But it does change and improve over time. 

Also, once you get the CI and you are getting some sound to your auditory nerve it should mask the tinnitus - when you have your processor on.  My tinnitus actually got louder after my implantation surgery but that stabilized as everything healed and then once I got the processor I only hear it at night.  Do you know if your tinnitus is only in the deaf ear?

• Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Janet Kierstead

Welcome to HearPeers!

My tinnitus greatly decreased in volume after getting CIs.  It is not noticeable at all when the processors are on and it is quieter than before even with the processors off.

At first things sound strange but after we train our brains, things sound amazing!

Wishing you the best!

• Thanks 1

I have mild tinnitus in my hearing ear, but in the newly deaf ear, It's like a fire alarm going off in my head. It's so loud that it almost hurts.