Post-surgery question

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

It's Sunday now, so I'm two days past surgery.  When I came home after the surgery I was unable to hear anything in the newly implanted ear, but today I think I'm hearing things.  They're much, much quieter than I was used to, but I have heard some sounds, just barely.  I can hear myself talk and clear my throat, and I can hear the cupboard door shut.  Bangy sounds, not soft ones.  It's not enough hearing to be meaningful, but I'm wondering if it might get a bit better once I'm fully healed from surgery and any liquid in the ear has drained?

As happened with the first I'm also getting some periods of really loud roaring tinnitus in the newly implanted ear.  Looking forward to getting my processor so I can override that!

• Like 2

Good luck.  Well I assume it can only get better as the ear heals.  You will find out exactly once you're tested.  If you hear cabinet closing that's pretty nice.  Hang in there :)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Another difference from my first surgery:  last time the tip of my ear hurt for quite a while after the surgery - I presumed because it's where a clamp pinned it back to keep it out of the surgeon's way.  But this time my whole ear is numb.

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Which do you prefer.......pain at the tip of your ear or a numb ear?

@Mary Featherston

Well, we're  not likely to get a choice!  But the numbness bothers me less.  I guess it will depend on how long it lasts.  The pain was there for a couple of months.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Goes to show that every CI surgery is different. Are your taste buds working? I would rather have working taste buds than an ear with no numbness! Food is important to me! Lol! 

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Jewel said:

@Mary Featherston

Goes to show that every CI surgery is different. Are your taste buds working? I would rather have working taste buds than an ear with no numbness! Food is important to me! Lol! 

Oh, you and me both on that @Jewel !  Yes, taste buds are fine - I've been grateful for that!.  I didn't get any neural oddities with either surgery.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I have the painful tip of the ear. Well it’s very faint now but it bothers me if I touch it or lay on it. (the new ear) it feels way better than the first one I might add. Which is still in recovery almost three years in. 

• Like 1