Training speech in noise

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I think both Angel Sounds and ABCLIX allow for you to put background noise when training. I haven't been too good at it. Looking forward to hearing what works for y'all. 

• HearPeers Heroes

So does Hear Coach, which is from, IIRC, Starkey.

• HearPeers Heroes

An easy way to add noise to a training app or a training session using live voice of a friend or family member is to make sure you are on MT if using an app and M if using live voice and add sound into the room.

-start with quiet instrumental music and gradually increase the volume

-move to quiet music with lyrics and gradually increase the volume

-advance to quiet talk radio and gradually increase the volume 

This is the approach we use with children when training speech in noise and it works equally well with adults.

The most realistic speech in noise is to listen to a friend or family member in a noisy place so time to dine out or meet for drinks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well these are good tips, but I need specific settings. SO it has to be direct for one ear like with the neckloop and for the other ear background noise like tv and radio. I am bilateral and Audi wants me to train this way to get my brain to block out the background noise. 

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

The most realistic speech in noise is to listen to a friend or family member in a noisy place so time to dine out or meet for drinks!

This is my kind of rehab!  ?  In fact I'm headed to lunch with some coworkers shortly!

• Like 2

I go to a coffee shop (or other noisy environment) and use my Artone neckloop to read an audiobook on the MT setting.

• Like 2

Mary  Beth, it’s getting better as I try to practise for an hour or so every weekday. Sometimes the noise gets too much and I revert to the T setting but less and less these days. I’m still not to the point where I can eavesdrop on others conversations as word recognition was nil when I started. ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

I am glad to hear things are getting better. As long as things are still improving, there is better listening ahead.  Smile.

53 minutes ago, Hicksy said:

Mary  Beth, it’s getting better as I try to practise for an hour or so every weekday. Sometimes the noise gets too much and I revert to the T setting but less and less these days. I’m still not to the point where I can eavesdrop on others conversations as word recognition was nil when I started. ?

Happy to hear

• HearPeers Heroes

I watched some captioned TV last night (same day as activation) and could tell the difference between when I started and when I stopped.  The new CI still needs loads of work but it's nice to see progress.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...