Receiving CI, unilateral,Jan 15th.

GraniPeggy

Hi All,I'm a 67 y/o grandmother from North Carolina.I've had left sided hearing impairment,with slow continued loss,life long,also born totally deaf in right ear. I was recently diagnosed as Profoundly hearing impaired,and deemed a candidate for Cochlear Implant surgery.I had my pre-ops,and surgery is set for Jan.15th,at UNC Hospital,in Chapel Hill,N.C. I'm very hopeful and excited,I've been pretty isolated by my deafness,and look forward to hearing. I'm wondering what to expect early post op, and if any of you who've been there,can offer me any tips? Thanks! Peggy

I neglected to add that I chose  Medel,I liked it,and the fact that Med el has an office nearby,in Durham,N.C. I'm so New to this,I'm unsure of exactly what to ask,and how to phrase it! Lol thanks..Peggy

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @GraniPeggy and welcome to HearPeers!  I received my CIs 3 years ago and they have been life changing!  I am excited for you!

Feel free to ask any questions.  No need to worry about the correct terms.  We are a friendly group.

Explore our rehab topic for lots of suggestions on aural rehab.

As far as surgery suggestions.....I removed the arm of an old pair of glasses so I could still wear them with one ear bandaged up. Also I slept with my head elevated for a few nights to decrease the chance of swelling.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @GraniPeggy and welcome!  I think the office in Durham is Med-El's US headquarters.

My surgeries were fairly quick recoveries.  As Mary Beth says, it can help to elevate your head, and certainly don't roll over on the implanted side for a couple of weeks.  Your surgeon will have some recovery info for you when you go home.  Good luck!  It's the start of a wonderful process.

Thank you,Mary Beth,I appreciate the suggestion about the glasses,I really need mine for reading.Do you think a Memory foam bed wedge would be enough elevation?   If not,I can sleep in my recliner with legs elevated,sitting upright.One worry I have is that the surgeon told me I cannot use my cpap,for sleep apnea,for at least a week. I've not so much as taken a nap with my cpap,in years! That said,I'm so excited about hearing again! Hugs 

• HearPeers Heroes

@GraniPeggy

I slept in a recliner the first few nights after my surgery.  

Maybe ask your CI team what they suggest.

It is exciting!

Thank you,Mary Featheron,for replying! And thank you for the good wishes,I'm more excited than I can say. I'm thinking of either trying a memory foam bed wedge for upper body,or if that's not enough elevation,sleeping upright,with my legs up in a recliner. What do you think? Hugs

• HearPeers Heroes
14 hours ago, GraniPeggy said:

Thank you,Mary Featheron,for replying! And thank you for the good wishes,I'm more excited than I can say. I'm thinking of either trying a memory foam bed wedge for upper body,or if that's not enough elevation,sleeping upright,with my legs up in a recliner. What do you think? Hugs

Actually @GraniPeggy, I only used a couple of extra pillows for the first two nights after my first surgery.  Second surgery, I just slept normally, lying flat.  It didn't bother me.  But you should do whatever is comfortable!  Your recliner might be a good option, if it's comfortable.

@Mary Beth, did you use a recliner?

• HearPeers Heroes

I used a recliner for my first surgery for a couple of nights, then moved to pillows propped up in bed for a few more nights.

Hi @GraniPeggy, I just met with Dr. O'Connell this past week about getting a cochlear implant.  I am brand new here as well in Chapel Hill.  My surgery is set for March.  Who are you seeing?

Candice,Hi,my Dr.is Dr.Pillsbury,and I really like him.My ENT Dr.,in Greensboro referred me to him.I have a kind of odd case.Im totally deaf,from birth,in the right ear,and have been losing hearing in the left,"my good ear" lifelong.After testing,it seems that my right ear just isn't a good candidate for implant.So,we are using the "hearing ear",although there's very little hearing.Im too excited to be nervous,but I do wonder what the first few days post-op will be like! I wish you much luck with your implant surgery,and if you like,I'll let you know how it goes!