Single sided deafness

segoro72

Hi my name is Seydou. Sorry for my bad english cause I am francophone.

I am 29 and am from Africa. I have a single sided deafness since my birth I think. Cause I a don't have any history of otitis in childhood. I did not have have any alternative treatment in my country, since not available. So I managed with it, difficultly. Now I am in France, precisely in Paris for study. I think it is a chance for me  to have a solution here. Since many years I am doing research about single sided deafness. I heard about it many alternative treatment such as CROS, BAHA, or Cochlear implant which is becoming an indication in this pathology. But my question is about the Bone conduction alternative which seem to be most effective than the CROS according to many testimonies I read on internet. I barely found on forums people using it for single sided deafness. And I read a post on this forum about about a woman who told about her child's single sided deafness. As I expected many respondent didn't tell her about the bone conduction option. Which make me less optimist about the bone conduction as the good option in single sided deafness. So I would like meet on this forums  peoples who are single sided deaf and use a bone conduction prothesis like BAHA, Bone bridge, Ponto or other, so that to exchange with them, to know their experience with these prothesis,  in their professionnal life, in their band life, in noisy areas or during parties.

Thanks!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@segoro72

Med-El has a non surgical bone conduction option called ADHEAR and it can be tested out at some audiologist offices.  A friend of mine received hers last month.  She loves it.  She tried it first at her audiologist office.

• HearPeers Heroes

@segoro72

I just asked my friend and she is joining HearPeers and will answer your questions about ADHEAR.  Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Segoro - Do you know what the cause of your deafness is? I have single-sided deafness caused by otosclerosis in my right ear. After four failed stapedectomy operations, in January I had a Bonebridge implant and it's fantastic. If your type of hearing loss means you are a candidate for a Bonebridge, then I would recommend it. 
Happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

Jamie  

• 1 month later...

Hi... am new too....Like James I have been diagnosed with left side otosclerosis with a healthy cochlea and and a have conductive deafness in that ear in the 2000hz range,.   SO as a result this really annoy my wife who’s voice is smack in that range.  I was recommended for a stapedectomy but was not willing to go under the knife or risk the side effects.  Another friend who is an audiologist suggested a BAHA and a cheap way to see if that would be successful was to try a set AfterShokz bone conducting headphones..  I was astounded how loud things sounded in the left ear so BAHA...but again, cost and knife.  

Enter the ADHEAR.  I am in Australia and now trying to find where I can find a provider and have really liked the user experiences... so this looks like the product for at face value

Thanks ... we shall see... have also reached out to the company as well.  I know they are sold here, but the nearest store/clinic listed is like a 12 hour drive away...  Med-El has practitioners who do their other stuff... but not apparently Adhear system.

Hi @Randy Walton, Thanks for your interest in ADHEAR. Have you taken a look at our Clinic Finder? https://www.medel.com/en-au/clinic-finder. We have 20 clinics offering ADHEAR listed there. If none of these work for you, please let me know your location and I can ask our team in Australia. Kind regards, Mary