Relay Service?

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I had to call Apple support (OK, we'll call it that, but honestly, I was almost entirely unimpressed).  Their idea of assistance for the hearing impaired is a separate toll-free number, which is answered by a guy who, like most phone support people, mumbles into his shirt pocket.  I had a co-worker with me to hear for me, so it worked, but we asked how Apple regarded this as an accomodation for the hearing impaired and he said that if the customer can't hear at all they had the ability to use a relay service.

So here's a question:  does anyone here have access to a relay service?  Becky and I were laughing after we hung up and comparing their blithe reliance on a relay service to me taking my car in to a guy who can repair horse-drawn buggies.

I swear, if the company let me get an Android I'd do it in a flash.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

There are video relay services now for people who communicate in sign language.

Are you able to use InnoCaption on a cell phone for difficult calls like that?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - I have an Innocaption phone at home, but this was at work, I had to call during business hours.

How do the video relay services work, are they online?  Not that it would help me, mind you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

InnoCaption works only on our cell phones.  I wasn’t sure if you are allowed to use your work cell phone for those types of calls. 

Sorenson is one of the video relay providers for sign language users.  They have videos on their website showing how it works.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - oh, I was confusing the two services.  I never did put Innocaption on my cell.  It's a work phone but would probably be fine for that, I just hadn't.

• HearPeers Heroes

No problem @Mary Featherston.

Although I hear fine on my cell phone with my CIs, I do have InnoCaption set up on my cell too.  If ever my processors were not working or I was in a situation where I could not make an important call by listening, I have InnoCaption to use.  

We have a relay system in Canada that works well but is slow slow slow. Essentially a third party in the middle of the conversation. Sadly no InnoCaption in Canada yet but I hear they are working on it.