Advice on Roger/Neckloops

Ford

Hi All - At my mapping yesterday we discussed the Roger Select and the My Link neckloop included in my kit. I have not opened either yet, and the MED-EL rep said I could use the MyLink or alternatively, there is a battery cover for the sonnet that has FM integrated that would connect to Roger Select without the need for the loop. (I realize this will not work with my Rondo2). I can exchange the My Link for this if I want. I have read about a third party neckloop that folks seem to happy with and was wondering if this is better than the my link, and if I should just go ahead and buy that and just swap the My Link for the battery cover?

I have a HA for my right ear and it would require using t-coil to use both the CI and HA together for any audio/phone streaming. Not really sure how much I will use either presently but in future who knows? I can use the phone pretty well now without either.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful. I have 90 days to decide if I want to swap the My Link (as long as I don't open it.

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

pros to trading to Roger 21 integrated battery cover for Sonnet

-stay on M

-will default to your mic setting when Roger is asleep 

-sleek design

pros to keeping Roger MyLink neckloop

-works with Sonnet, Rondo 2 and HA with telecoil 

-can have 100/0 mix ratio (Roger sound only) by going to T via Fine Tuner 

The best choice depends on how you plan on using it.

The Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop, which many of us have and love, does NOT work with the Roger transmitters.  This is a BT neckloop that connects directly to BT phone, iPad, computer, TV streamer, remote mic etc.

So in essence... if I want to connect via BT to my phone and stream both Calls and Audio to the CI and the HA both:

- I can use Roger Select with  Mylink 

- I can use Roger Select with Roger21 battery cover

- I can use Artone alone...

I don't mind using the Roger Select but it is another thing to carry and neckloops don't bother me (except when they cut out which my Bernafon constantly did -- it was not high quality). Does the Select really offer anything exceptional? I probably would not really use the remote mic functionality.

Sounds like I should keep what I have and spend the $130 for the Artone... how long have you had yours? Some reviews on amazon say it stops charging/working after about 6 months and customer support is non-existent....

Thanks for the info 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ford

Personally, the only thing that is great with Roger is using the remote mic on a person or on a table.  Roger is extremely limited with BT functionality.  It ONLY works with BT on phone calls!  All other audio from phones requires using a cable between the phone and Roger transmitter.  Very very limited for BT use.

I have access to Roger tech and choose NOT to use it at all.  Other people find it helpful.  We are all different.

I have had my Artone BT neckloop since 2016 and it works perfectly.  Charges just fine and battery life is still the same.  I love it so much I bought another one for long days of listening to audiobooks while multitasking.  That way one is always charged and ready,

For me, the Artone is a great fit.

Remember that we have to be on MT for 50/50 mix and T for my favorite 100/0 mix.

Hi Ford. I'm also a newbie and only use Rondo 2. I traded in my Sonnet on Monday for a 2nd Rondo 2. I really like it and I wear glasses, so it was just easiest for me to have one device that I can swap out or a spare if necessary. I have a CI in my Right ear and use a HA for my left, but will probably go bilateral CI soon since it is already approved. My results have been nothing short of amazing. It has only been 1 week and 2 days since my activation and I can understand almost everything with my CI ear already. I use my Roger select with MyLink and the setting to "T" only when listening to audio from my TV or phone. I plug my select directly into the audio jack on my TV or phone, which cuts out the normal audio. and just loop the MyLink around my neck. That way the only sound I get is going to my CI and my Left ear is not helping. I want to push my brain to rely on my CI and learn. I'm sitting here now listening to the news in my CI with an earplug in my left ear to ensure that the only sound I get is the TV audio.

But Mary Beth is my hero and she is WAAAAYYY more experienced than I am. I am going to look into the Artone BT neckloop myself and will likely get one. Sounds like one less piece of equipment to use to watch TV or YouTube or whatever.

For other listening practice, I have been using our piano and I recommend you do the same if you have access to a musical instrument. On the first day, the entire key board had about 12 notes. It was as if each electrode could only hear a single note or it interpreted all within a certain range as the same thing. I would hit all of the keys and it would change the tone about every 10 or 12 keys. Now, only a week later, I can hear distinct differences between the notes on the keys next to each other. Huge difference already.

@Mary Bethwhere is the best place to purchase the Artone BT Neckloop?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Monte!

Your journey always makes me smile!

WOW!  Just amazing.

Piano keys all sounded the same to me in the beginning but now I hear when I play an incorrect note in a chord.  Blows my mind still!

Artone 3 MAX neckloops can be purchased several places....

-their website

-Amazon

Since you already have the Select and the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver, you may want to keep using that set up for your TV.

Hi @Monte - Wow that is inspiring. I just got back from my 1st mapping after activation 2 weeks ago and I have a music program now on my sonnet. I practiced guitar today and while still really distorted and weird sounding...it appears to be a little bit better (That is listening with both ears). I will work on that more with my right ear plugged to give the CI some solo practice, but it sounds like it is just a question of time 🙂 

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s a good plan @Ford.  Let us know what you think of it when you test it out.