FS4 vs FS4-p

Watersail

Went to the audiologist yesterday for my 1 week post activation appointment. I seem to be making good progress as the high frequency sounds are manifesting less as pressure and starting to manifest as sound. Still working on pulling apart the sounds to make sense of them. I can follow along speech most of the time if I lip-read.

One of the things that came out of the appointment was new maps. One being FS4, which I spent the week of activation on, and the other being FS4-p (which I'm currently trying out). I feel like I'm going a little crazy with the FS4-p with hearing two simultaneous voices from the same person. 🙂 One is in chipmunk (high pitch) territory, and the other in electronic (lower pitch) voice territory. I'm still very new to it so my brain hasn't melded the two voices together yet. Still new, and I know it takes a bit of time to adapt.

Which do you prefer?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I use FS4 and prefer it over FS4p.

I experienced the perception of two voices from the same person layered on top on each other during my journey too.  It may just be part of your journey and not connected to the FS4 versus FS4p.

I explained it like this....

I hear the electronic voice quality and the person’s regular voice quality simultaneously like they are layered on top of each other.

Then the electronic voice quality started to peel away bit by bit and the regular voice quality remained.

Until finally the electronic voice quality was gone.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good description, @Mary Beth that was exactly what it was for me too.

FS4-p is definitely interesting. After a couple days, the voices are starting to morph into one but warble. Playing the piano is also extremely odd as instead of notes sound in scale, they are mixed in terms of sound and sensation with one being dominant over the other on different frequencies. I'll keep at it and keep my brain exercised. I'm sure my brain will figure it out. :)