Our CI journeys

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk suggested that it would be helpful to have a topic with links to our own CI journeys for those of us who share our CI journeys in blogs or guest articles.

I recall seeing links to several members’ blogs.  Will you please post the links in this topic too?

If you shared your CI journey in a topic here on HearPeers, will you copy a link to that topic and post it here so new people can learn from your journey too?

Thanks 

• HearPeers Heroes

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

Thanks Peter.  I hope other HearPeers members share links to their stories as well!

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been blogging my CI journey for a year and a half.   If you are interested in reading it sequentially, you'll have to scroll back to the beginning.

https://hearinglisten.blogspot.com/

• Like 2

Thank you both for fabulous blogs. I'm working on mine. What can I say? I started getting deaf, had some hearing aids, had a CI in my right ear and I can hear speech well. Even after a couple of weeks. It's like you are catching up with me. Having read your blogs, I think even more they should be easy to find. They are so inspirational. 

Amazing the difference with our mappings. Just tune a few electrodes for softest and most comfortable volume. On the 1st I'm going to get a separate music program with slightly more dynamic range.

I'll keep you posted 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk I'd love to hear more about your music program once you have it.  I need to speak to my audiologist about this.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, Mary Featherston said:

@pdk I'd love to hear more about your music program once you have it.  I need to speak to my audiologist about this.

Back home having listened in the car where I was listening on speakers and could hear a definite fuller sound. 

When I got home music on the radio was really better again much fuller sound, still the usual distortion. While typing I'm listening to Beethoven's 5th piano concerto and it's good. 

My mapping has stabilized, so I have 2 music programs with different dynamic ranges. Needless to say I like the largest setting. 

It's also great to use all the time at home. I can hear the gas fire which SCAM decided was noise. But in the car I could hear the tyres loudly, so will use SCAN when out. 

I'm wizzing through my music trying to hear differences. 

Exciting stuff. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk do you know what your audiologist did to create the MAP for music?

She told me she gave me 2 settings with increased dynamic range set for the 'Music' program. That means no compensation for noise. I'm really enjoying it. The sound is much fuller. The kettle sounded like a rocket taking off. I can also hear the current radio announcer. All good so far.  

• Like 1

Just discovered that noise compensation is still in the music program. Its subtle. Can now hear the gas fire which the scan program filtered out. However as music plays the gas sound reduces so I get continual adjustment of the hiss. however I'm using this setting most of the time.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

Your MAPping and listening experiences  with your front end processing differs from Med-El users.  Each brand has its own processing and MAP options.

My Med-El MAP in omni mic setting gives me the full range of music and does great with speech.  My Sonnets in adaptive mic setting perform wonderfully in noisy places.  I do not use a special MAP for music.  Since I listen to music on and off all day and also while talking with people, I prefer a MAP that works for everything.  I do not adjust any settings throughout the day.

I have friends with Med-El who have programs for music and programs for noise.  That works best for them.

I am thankful we have so many options so we can each experiment and find out what works best for us.

This is the first time that I have a separate music program. Until now the SCAN system provides for all environments. My audiologist says she can tweak the music module in SCAN so I won't have to press any buttons. 

The music module is clever, but still has a problem. When all is Quiet I hear the gas fire. When the music plays the gas sound reduces. So I can hear varying levels of hiss. Its not a train smash, it's not too loud. Will live with it until next mapping in Sept. 

The extra dynamic range gives a fuller sound. However my audiologist says I should stick with the SCAN setting for normal use. 

Now I have to listen to all my music for any improvement. It's a hard life. 😀